Grapefest 2011...should you attend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Email sent to all members asking for feedback.

please could you respond before thursday 21st July, as we meet on the 22nd to finalise the details.

regards
    Bob

p.s. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to update your email addresses in your profile if it has changed since you registered (about 150 users)
    Hum? Well I won't know whether I can get the time off until Monday afternoon (Yard office will still be closed up when I start on Monday morning etc etc).

And you've got the right email for me anyway as both of them have already been "digested" (a little dry for my taste )
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Git!

Well the educational stuff was initially planned for the friday....

so i supppose the real question is.......would people like an extra day of educational stuff, or rather have the educational stuff on the saturday "live" so to speak?

regards
      Bob
      I really should read posts properly. I have had a word with the boss and should be able to appear on Friday morning but I will have to leave pretty sharpish on Saturday afternoon.

I assumed that most people would only be able to make Saturday and Sunday so the educational stuff would have been on either of those days. As a newbie I would hate to miss a great opportunity to learn as much as possible.

Rob

Comment

I havent as yet received enough replies to decide one way or another if we should run the Friday event...

another option would be to do the educational stuff on saturday Morning, and start the grape processing later in the day...

I'm happy to run it either way, the main thing being that the maximum number of people get the most out of it.

We have a mix of people, for some, its grape processing and a big social event, for others its all about learning as much as they can, and I suspect for most, it's somewhere in the middle...

Please let me know by PM or email which days you would prefer it on, and what would be your preferred educational options, so we can plan this to benefit the biggest number of people.

If you are wanting to learn from the process (aside from the big learning opportunity hands on grape processing gives you) what is it you wish to gain more knowledge of?

We "could" do some educational stuff on the Sunday....but that would need to be a late start in years gone by the sunday was lots of coffee and when the hangover shifted, (around lunchtime or early afternoon) people drove home.

I am aware that people want different things from it, and that it cant be all things to all winemakers, but a happy blend would be nice, and that can only be achieved with your feedback. I also need a rough idea of who is attending, in case we need to move somewhere else, if numbers are at last years level then we can still do it at my place.

You are all more than welcome to bring a sleeping bag and sleep over, or stay at a B&B hotel or indeed camp, there is wasteland to the rear of my house, but the ground isn't terribly even. Help in tidy up before you leave would be much appreciated.

It is worth pointing out that the daytime activities are reasonably family friendly and a lot of it is fun for kids,....lots of mess, and a bonfire of grape boxes!! but the saturday evening get-together is not really suitable for children..... there being much drinking, singing, badonnage and robust to-ings and fro-ings

the wine swap is a definite, and can happen no matter how many days we do it over, so bring bottles to swap, and take the same number away with you of others wine.

Karl (duffbeer) says he will do the raffle again...it was very popular last year, and someone walked away with a top end kit. Karl always brings supplies, so if you wish to order anything, visit www.hobbywinesupplies.co.uk in advance and let hi know what you would like.

Brian (Cellar_Rat) has some speciality yeasts available (see his signature line) so be sure and let him know what you would like.

No matter if we add the Friday daytime, or leave it as it was, its a fun event, and I hope to see you there.

If you have not been before and are a little daunted by the process please read the virgins guide to grapefest written by Pete (goldseal)

There is also a list of ideas compiled by Pete

Once you have made wine from fresh grapes, there is no going back!

if you are new, you will learn more in one day that you would believe possible, have the most fun it is possible to have fully clothed, and you will be surrounded by lots of friendly people who are more than happy to share their knoweledge with you....like they always say.....wine making is friend making

more ideas and a timeline here

it isnt as complicated as it may seem, and there is help at every stage

regards
        Bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 18-07-2011, 10:31 AM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I can say with 100% certainty that I will not attend GrapeFest this year. I did look into it, though. The timing just isn't good for me.
          Steve

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Not sure at this point if this is something I could get to along with the other half. Could you mention though, is there any camping sites anywhere near the venue (staggering distance by foot preferably, but a short taxi would also do it).

Would prefer to spend any monies on grapes, rather than accomodation!

TIA for any suggestions/info, even it it's just - 'no'!

Best,

Tulaberry!

Comment

Camping at the back of my house is perhaps an option, but dont know exactly how level the ground is...

but im sure there are campsites nearby, and taxis are quite cheap around these parts
                Attached Files
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

ill be there top of drive for me please.

and if you need hand let me know

ian
                  http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                  http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Camping at the back of my house is perhaps an option, but dont know exactly how level the ground is
                    Would mean that we wouldn't be able to 'sacrifice' the grape crates to Dionysus - could bring bad luck.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

oh my word no simon, a bonfire simply has to be had, im collecting sticks so we can poke it in a manly fashion too
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

and more likely an offering to the great god proclaimius
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Should hopefully be there Bob, depends on if i'm in the country or not - believe it or not i am STILL waiting for the 3 month training course in Seattle.(cos the 787 still hasnt been delivered yet - oops!)

Edit - email sent too. Sorry for the late reply. Lots of stuff going on here. Will explain at GF!!
                          Last edited by DaveH; 22-07-2011, 07:40 AM.
                          "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Working...
                          X