The Red Line Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Line Stuff

In the timeline posts regarding making wine from grapes that Bob has posted their are numerous optional sections highlighted in red.

Add colour/flavour extracting enzymes
    What would these enzymes be and how would I get hold of some ?

And Likewise with the Biolees and Tan'cor Grand Cru, could we do a group buy for Grapefest ?

I have biolees and tancor grand cru

will work out what they cost me and sell for same (i have plenty)

The enzymes are stuff as simple as pectolase, or there are other ones available, trenolin rouge is one I have used before, with good results, I ordered it from Brouwland.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I brought along Trennolin Rouge last year, plenty of people used it.. A few drops did 5 gallons worth.

No idea if it works any better than normal pectolase etc, as I didn't do any side by side trials. None of my red wine is cloudy, and the Monte has an excellent colour

Comment

Ted,

Panic yee not - I have turned out some super wines and never used then? The choice is yours. They are not essential.

IMO it would be better to start simple and then work up - one change at a time. If you are new to grape winemaking more important to you is yeast and sulphite - focus of these. Do a cracking good job with the basic's and you will be truly amazed.

I have still not got around to using biolees or enzymes. I personally believe these are to address some of the pressures of commercial winemaking that just don't exist for home winemakers.

Sorry chaps really, really no offense intended.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Ted,

Panic yee not - I have turned out some super wines and never used then? The choice is yours. They are not essential.

IMO it would be better to start simple and then work up - one change at a time. If you are new to grape winemaking more important to you is yeast and sulphite - focus of these. Do a cracking good job with the basic's and you will be truly amazed.

I have still not got around to using biolees or enzymes. I personally believe these are to address some of the pressures of commercial winemaking that just don't exist for home winemakers.

Sorry chaps really, really no offense intended.
          I was planning on having a word with you about those yeasts you have in your signature line, I take it these will be available to buy at grapefest ?

Comment

Hi Brian,

No offence taken.

Each to their own, and if you wish to make wines without the extra additives (and perfectly good wine can be made without them) then thats all well and good. However I believe that Biolees and tancor grand cru are super additives that add a layer of complexity, and produce wines of great character and mouthfeel, nowt to do with commercial aspects, they really make a difference. I dont however use them all the time, last years Tempranillo is still in its "raw" state, i wish to see how it develops that way, before I add anything, as these things can be added later. Once you know your grapes (and i mean once you are getting themn from the same source and they are reliable in terms of results) then you can make the decisions re additives at the start.

However Brian is right about getting the basics in place first and working upwards, but just because you are new, dont let it limit what you do, it is extra steps in the process, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing for a winemaker who is prepared to arm themselves with the knowledge, and have a bit of get up and go.. but if this is your first foray into grape winemaking, maybe keep it simple.

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Additives tend to be a matter of personal preference. I agree it's best to be somewhat minimalist for your first foray into grapes, otherwise you have no basis for comparison. And additives should be thought more of as "tools" that can help you craft the wine you want, rather than necessary adjuncts. I see far too many people on some of the American wine forums who use the "dump and run" approach to winemaking - i.e. using additives for the sake of saying they use additives, without understanding any of the "why."

Though I know many people use it, I'm not a fan of Biolees myself. And I have yet to identify a need for post-ferment tannin additions (if a wine needs some added structure, I much prefer to blend it in using another more tannic varietal). On the other hand, I do find enzymes to be useful on certain grape varieties.

Unfortunately, there are no one-size-fits-all solutions when it comes to winemaking.
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X