Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    Hint of H2S
    Gently with the nutrient then - easier now you have pressed. Have you sulphited yet?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• No sulphite. Almost finished fermenting, will be going straight to MLF.

Copper pipe worked on 1/2 gal dj, so will apply to Better Bottle later.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

It does work. I have seen presses made with copper pouring lips!
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

No sulphite. Almost finished fermenting, will be going straight to MLF.

Quick question Pete (and every one else LOL)....if i'm not MLF'ing, do i sulphite directly after pressing or wait for a few days?...

BTW, the pectic enzyme has worked a treat....got 15 gallons of free run from the 14 boxes of Grenacha....not a bad colour either!!
          "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• I would wait until you are sure fermentation is complete (several days with no decrease in SG), then rack, degas & sulphite.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

I would wait until you are sure fermentation is complete (several days with no decrease in SG), then rack, degas & sulphite.
              Cheers dude - just didn't want it to spoil....will keep an eye on the sg.
              "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Pete do you actively 'degas' grape wine ?

Comment

• Which type of grape...... ?

Ok, so just been trying to read some of this and it got me thinking.

Now as I tend towards heavier reds i.e. Bordeaux and Burgundy, I'm thinking of which of the 3 grape types available would have been the best to have tried, to make a clone or at least something of a similar style ?

I know that a St Emillion uses Merlot and Cabernet Franc, with relatively small amounts of Cabernet Sauvignon also being used by some chateaux.

So would it just have been the case of going for the Merlot, or would it have made something better with a mix of the 3 black grapes, heavier on the Merlot ?

I'd just like to know to get my head round this a little more.......

TVM one and all

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Hi John,

Cabernet Franc is less and less used in Bordeaux. Generally Right Bank (St Emillion) would be anything from 80% Merlot/20 % Cab Sauv, 50/50 is not too uncommon. Some vineyards use 5% Cabernet Franc but generally they are Merlot dominant.
                    Left Bank - the Medoc these figures are generally reversed where Cabernet Sauvigon is dominant.

Burgundy is the home of the fragant Pinot Noir, though New Zealand Pinot Noir is also lovely (in spite of myself). Central Otago Pinot Noir is really very good.

Of course these are generalisations and the quality is really down to the skill of the winemaker. As we all know.

Simon
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• John,

This is an interesting question - if I understand you correctly, with what we have available in the UK - how do we make something similar to a classical heavy reds i.e. Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Is it OK to add concentrates and elderberries ?

PS.. just a thought is this a new thread ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        Pete do you actively 'degas' grape wine ?
                        Yep - it's exactly the same as any other wine, and it's always full of CO2 after fermentation.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Fermentation produces 51% CO2 and 49% Alcohol (ish)

ukric and I Just finished processing the grapes, went for Brians idea with the pipe and pump, works a treat, except didn't have enough slots in the pipe so the pump kept overtaking it and needing primed regularly, the mk2 pipe will be better.

Didnt press, just took free run juice, and there is tons left on the skins, so should be a fairly weighty 2nd run....

30 gallons of 2nd run Tempranillo/grenache/merlot skins on the go.

long night

tired now
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• as an aside, 12 Boxes of merlot produced 12 gallons of free run juice, and 20 boxes tempranillo produced 22 gallons free run juice.

rics 6 grenache (with 1 gal sugar syrup added) produced 8 gallons free run juice.

all with great colour
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Some interesting reading here, taken from the wineskills website (its in the public domain)

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Pressed mine today, Merlot and Sangi.

Got about 29 litres free run from each, currently in a 30 litre bucket and allowing the gross lees to settle off. Then about 5 litres or so from each with a light pressing.

I've frozen the (still juicy) skins ready to add to a couple of wine kits later in the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X