No announcement yet.

2011 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be aware not all MLF's are the same (as yeast) - so don't mix it, or top up with it - until you have tasted.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      Be aware not all MLF's are the same (as yeast) - so don't mix it, or top up with it - until you have tasted.
      Ok, I hadn't thought of that. I shall do just that. Any excuse for a tasting is good

Comment

• Anyone sampled the Trebbiano yet? Well I have and it's pretty darn good.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          Anyone sampled the Trebbiano yet? Well I have and it's pretty darn good.
          Mine stank of rotten eggs the last time I took the bung out so
          I didn't fancy tasting it. The rest of the non smelly djs are still clearing. Glad yours has turned out good.

Out of interest what yeast did you use, did you use nutrient?

Rob

Comment

• Yeast was K1-V1116 and no nutrient was added, increased sg to 1.080, but thats the only thing I did.
            Quite impressed with this years as previous years the trebb hasn't turned out overly great.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              It's absolutely possible. Just like yeast, lactic acid bacteria are in the air all around us. Commercial ML bacteria is a fairly recent innovation, having only become available in the last few decades. In the thousands of years prior to that, MLF "just happened" without any intervention on the part of the winemaker.
              Hi Steve

I followed your advice and pitched some toasted oak into my 'Chambourcin' 2 gallons on the go from 20lbs grapes it smells ace but next time I will not dilute it down at all I did this time as teh acid was so high.

However I dry toasted the oak myself in the frying pan as could not get any toasted and it smelled excellent hand taosted and went into the wine still warm and giving off lots of flavour.

I pitched my MLF culture yesterday and its started instantly in both jars.

The bouquet is very strong almost tar like I had this once in a 'Pinotage' anyway smells excellent

Thanks for the help

Malcolm
              Malc

Comment

• Was Racking my Phoenix yesterday, two batches from seperate vineyards, the first batch stink of rotten eggs (ukric, you had some of this juice, how do yours smell?)
                the second Batch is fine...same as your grapes Pete, how are yours.

Copper sulphate and ascorbic acid now on order

Both batches fermented on Lalviv D47, main difference is, the 2nd batch was allowed longer to settle, and therefore was cleaner juice, i think perhaps this is the isse, but then again perhaps not, will report back after supplies arrive.

full of challenges this winemaking mallarkey
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• My Phoenix smells pretty decent, Bob.
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• My smelly Trebbiano has been stirred with a copper rod and has now produced some very pretty golden crystals. Question is, do I rack off now or can I use kwik clear finings and leave the wine to clear over the next week or so and then rack?

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                      My smelly Trebbiano has been stirred with a copper rod and has now produced some very pretty golden crystals. Question is, do I rack off now or can I use kwik clear finings and leave the wine to clear over the next week or so and then rack?

Rob
                      Hi

I find Quick clear can only remove so many particles per dose and having to overdo it may impair flavour.

Not sure if I ma correct but I am beginning to find that to rack off and then quick clear as the last clear works well.

And thanks for the interesting thread everyone

Malc
                      Malc

Comment

• Hmmm. Not sure if my Merlot is still a bit 'wrong' or not. It's doesn't smell of sewers but I can't quite tell if it's just new wine or is it the H2S has bonded with the wine and will require a more viscous treatment.
                        Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                        Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                        -Police Squad

Comment

• Do I remember someone saying that a stir with copper will also remove a veg taste?
                          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• This is probably one for Graham:

Is it OK to store Copper Sulphate solution in PET (all I have is a 1 litre pop bottle)?

(and yes, I will label it )
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                              This is probably one for Graham:

Is it OK to store Copper Sulphate solution in PET (all I have is a 1 litre pop bottle)?

(and yes, I will label it )
                              Should be okay. It won't attack the plastic.
                              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                              -Police Squad

Comment

• Ta.

Tried the ascorbic acid / copper sulphate tests on my eggy Wine No.1 rosé (Sangiovese skins + WN1). It suggests that I haven't got an H2S / mercaptan / disulphide problem because it appears to have made no difference
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X