No announcement yet.

2011 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news the aircon is getting rid of the CO2 as well. Marvelous! I can walk in and not die!

On constant (max) room temp 19c. Primotivo holding 29c (glass). Phew. Pushnig the cap down is tough - this stuff is like purple concrete!!

Just shows the difference Gilliolororliolroio temp 26c.

Must think about MLF starter tomorrow.

This has been some week - should we start a thread for 'Extreme' winemaking! Whats that you say - a TV Series!
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 16-09-2011, 05:38 PM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      Good news the aircon is getting rid of the CO2 as well. Marvelous! I can walk in and not die!

On constant (max) room temp 19c. Primotivo holding 29c (glass). Phew. Pushnig the cap down is tough - this stuff is like purple concrete!!

Just shows the difference Gilliolororliolroio temp 26c.

Must think about MLF starter tomorrow.

This has been some week - should we start a thread for 'Extreme' winemaking! Whats that you say - a TV Series!
      Its the LAW to post pics don't you know

Comment

• Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
        Its the LAW to post pics don't you know
        I have tried to take photo's of disappearing co2 - honest!
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Well, the enthusiasm has definitely gone out of the grapes now. Time to press.
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

• I'm going to try Steve's cling film method.. I'm working 12hr shifts for the next 2 days, so won't get a decent chance to press till Monday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by koomber View Post
              Well, the enthusiasm has definitely gone out of the grapes now. Time to press.

Aaaarrr but have the skins sunk?

PS. What is Steve doing with clingfilm? Dare I ask ?

Comment

• I'm sure it was Steve that posted about putting cling film ontop of the must to hold in some of the co2 once the grapes weren't quite so pushed up by the co2.

Edit: It was, here.

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                When the cap "sinks", it doesn't all go to the bottom at once. As fermentation winds down and carbon dioxide is no longer being made, there is not as much to keep the cap buoyant, but there is still enough to keep the cap somewhat afloat and protect the wine from oxidation for a couple of days. As a safeguard, you can also lay cellophane cling wrap on the surface to help retain some of the CO2.
                Last edited by Rich; 17-09-2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• Phew

(good plan)

Comment

• All quiet on the western front.
                    Chillioioogioioiotioio now 1025/27c
                    Primitivo 1022/28c

Just shows how temp affects fermentation - The primitivo was much higher 24/25 brix against 21/22. The burn has brought it in below the Gilioioggjioiollio in just 4 days.

Malo tomorrow (ooooo and the magic ingredient in the Cililiogogiooglgioooo) - pressing mid week.

Comment

• Sangiovese pressed.

10 gallons+ from 8 boxes, and that's without going mad with the press.
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                        sangiovese pressed.

bwaaaaaahhhh?!
                        Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                        Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                        -Police Squad

Comment

• Will you lot stop posting so bleedin' much in this thread!

It's only been a bleedin' week and it's 12 pages long already! How to you expect me to learn about bl00dy grape wine making with that lot to read!

regards

me !
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Sangiovese pressed.

Pete

Did you add any liquid to increase sugar levels and dilute the acid or is that the straight yield this year?

Rob

Comment

Do you not feel you a missing some of the richer more complex flavours by only pressing lightly.

If you taste the pressings at various stages you will detect a marked increase in tannic type flavours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                Thanks steve for sharing the knowledge ie letting the cap sink. Is what you and cellar rat talking about the amount of oak to put in the primary to reduce 'green/veg taste'? If so just under an ounce per gal then?
                                My understanding is will give rich vanilla flavours in ferment, and a more classical oaking when added to the finished wine.

I get the feeling that I might be using GREEN OAK for ageing as I am under strick instructions never to go near the stove again (not all bad - gets me out of cooking dinner)

Comment

Working...
                                X