Grapefest 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    Well, you really need bucket-type fermenters for the initial stages and a carboy-type (glass carboy or 23l PET) once you rack off the skins.

You'll need both buckets initially - 3 boxes per 33l bucket generally. You'll be fermenting a mush of juice, skins, pips and a few stalks for a few days, before drawing off the juice.
    Is the carboy essential as I only have fermenting bins?

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
      Is the carboy essential as I only have fermenting bins?
      You can use Demi-johns instead.

Rob

Comment

Hi Daniel
        the wine will need to go into an airlocked container with very little airspace surfave above the wine, which is why DJ's with their tapered necks are the best option. If you leave a large surface area exposed to oxygen the wine will oxidise very quickly.

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Ok, so semi demis or a carboy off karl? How do we order from karl for gf just pm him?

Comment

Either PM him or look on

This website is for sale! hobbywinesupplies.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hobbywinesupplies.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

you can ring him and he will be happy to sort you out
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Now I'm flapping!

OK, read the red wine timeline and now I am flapping...

What's MLF for and do I need to do it?
              Are colour/ flavour extracting enzymes necessary?
              How do I do a yeast starter if I'm getting the yeast from Karl on the same day?
              WTF do I do about oak!?!?!?

Daniel

Comment

you dont need to do any of those things

they are options and marked in red to indicate thus

however....

yeast starter can be started in a bottle on the day and pitched later (read the tutorial section for info on yeast starters)

oak can be purchased from Karl as can MLF culture

to be honest I would go for plain grape ferment (you will learn tons on the day about how it works) and of course you have the forum to help you with tweaks along the way. (look at previous years grapefest threads and see how it all pans out)

dont worry it will be fine

.....what could possibly go wrong?
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                  OK, read the red wine timeline and now I am flapping...

What's MLF for and do I need to do it?
                  Are colour/ flavour extracting enzymes necessary?
                  How do I do a yeast starter if I'm getting the yeast from Karl on the same day?
                  WTF do I do about oak!?!?!?

Daniel
                  Don't make it hard the first time Daniel. You will be amazed how good fresh grape wine is, with just a few simple steps.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Can I recommend a brilliant book

The Way to Make Wine: How to Craft Superb Table Wines at Home.

If I was going to write a book, I hope this would be it.
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

You will learn tons during the day on the 22nd and you have the forum and the local guys to help

everyone worries before their first time

read pete's grapefest virgin guide.....
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

What sort of yeast are you ordering Daniel?

I am sure it is not beyond our imagination to fire up a yeast starter on your behalf the night before

Karl will likely drop off the supplies at my place before the saturday anyway

you coming over for the friday night curry?
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Anyone else thinking about going for a Garnacha / Shiraz blend a la Rhone? I vaguely remember from previous posts you had 'issues' - Pete/Bob with Grenache. ANy views?
                          Simon
                          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

What time is curry time? Is it byow? Do we bring our own glass? Lots of questions but exciting for us to be attending
                            Last edited by krakowmike; 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
                              What time is curry time? Is it byow? Do we bring our own glass? Lots of questions but exciting for us to be attending
                              BYOW - yes, definitely. Don't bring too much though, otherwise there will be no room on the table for food

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                              Anyone else thinking about going for a Garnacha / Shiraz blend a la Rhone? I vaguely remember from previous posts you had 'issues' - Pete/Bob with Grenache. ANy views?
                              I'm not going for Grenache again. In 2008 it looked great - almost jam-like, but was low on sugar and lost most of its colour. I found it oxidises easily too.

I'll probably do Tempranillo and Shiraz
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                                If I could source some Mouverdre I might have considered it, but the Grenache/Garnacha hasn't been brilliant for use in any great quantities, i did an 80/20 tempranillo grenache blend and it was ok, but not as good as the 100% tempranillo so im not having any grenache this year either. (I am however taking tempranillo that/I think I might oak heavily and age for a long time)

regards
                                bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X