Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My head hurts!
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Another fab weekend full of fun and laughter (oh and grapes)

great to see you all

Scottish contingent were a definite miss this year, but we raised a glass or two in your honour
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Another fab weekend full of fun and laughter (oh and grapes)

great to see you all

Scottish contingent were a definite miss this year, but we raised a glass or two in your honour
        Couldnt agree more Bob - on both counts!!!!

Home now, and starting pennance for Friday Night/Saturday!!!

Need to sort starters so that it's ready for pitching tomorrow!!

Take it there will be a 2012 GF Ferments thread??
        "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• ooooo

good point Dave

forgot....will do it now
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

My head hurts!
            my ar3e hurts !!
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Great day, really enjoyed chatting with very knowledgeable and interesting folk. Thanks all.

Thanks especially to Bob for your hospitality.

Comment

• Thanks to all for making Grapefest such an enjoyable event again this year. Many thanks to Bob and Karl and Mrs Karl for the catering etc and to Pete and Dave for the talks. The thing I shall remember most from this year was Pete's Elderberry Port, it was unbelievably good

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                  The thing I shall remember most from this year was Pete's Elderberry Port, it was unbelievably good
                  +1 to that. Knocks the socks off any commercial port I have ever had.

Comment

• Thanks Bob and everyone else for a splendid weekend. I took SG and TA tests last night and I will post them when I get home in the ferments thread. Grenache looks excellent but the thickest must I have seen to date. Merlot is a slight worry, appeared to be high sugar and low acid which smacks to me of late picking, particularly as it is a mid-season crop (and we are quite late). I also detected a little mouldy flavour in the must, only very slight. However I will check again tonight and confirm or not with the facts and figures.

Once again thanks to all for the hospitality and friendship over the weekend.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Yes indeed thanks Bob for organising it, I am just sorry I couldn't stay longer - maybe next year.

[QUOTE=SiSandrine;91621] Merlot is a slight worry, appeared to be high sugar and low acid which smacks to me of late picking, particularly as it is a mid-season crop.[QUOTE]
                      Simon interesting point. I did not get a low acidity mark on this, it was about the same as Rob's ( which quite frankly doesn't surprise me ) - in fact it was one of the higher ones. What test methods do you use for TA? I will go out on a limb here and be called a heretic, but I would not attempt to correct it yet until you have tasted it coming out of the press.

Is that numbers man I hear getting revved up in the wings
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Warmest regards to Bob for his awesome hospitality and all the kind and humble people I met at GF. It was pleasure meeting everyone, exchanging ideas and laughs. You're all a great lot!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Cellar_Rat;91625]Yes indeed thanks Bob for organising it, I am just sorry I couldn't stay longer - maybe next year.

[QUOTE=SiSandrine;91621] Merlot is a slight worry, appeared to be high sugar and low acid which smacks to me of late picking, particularly as it is a mid-season crop.
                          Simon interesting point. I did not get a low acidity mark on this, it was about the same as Rob's ( which quite frankly doesn't surprise me ) - in fact it was one of the higher ones. What test methods do you use for TA? I will go out on a limb here and be called a heretic, but I would not attempt to correct it yet until you have tasted it coming out of the press.

I had this trouble last year Simon. It is possible that there are variations in the numbers from the same varietals which could be down to the grapes coming from different vinyards or the wrong end of the same vinyard. If you want a second opinion then send me 100ml sample and I will run it through my Vinmetrica. It is a brilliant gadget and I have a great deal of confidence in it. Brian has a spare I believe and I would highly recommend getting one.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                            If you want a second opinion then send me 100ml sample and I will run it through my Vinmetrica. It is a brilliant gadget and I have a great deal of confidence in it. Brian has a spare I believe and I would highly recommend getting one.

Rob
                            OK Rob would appreciate that. I think you could be right.
                            Would you PM address and I'll send some tomorrow.

Brian, I titrated the samples. Did 4 tests on Merlot every time same result. Strange thing is the other grapes are coming out similar to other folk.
                            Simon
                            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                              I would not attempt to correct it yet until you have tasted it coming out of the press.

brm brm brm

I would even go so far as to say dont worry too much about it as you can adjust acidity (as long as you dont adjust too much) after ferment has fully finished, and it doesnt seem to be too detrimental

hope that helps
                              regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

........ and it doesnt seem to be too detrimental
                                Agreed. Acidity features in the taste profile and preservative qualities. So you really need (in this order) finished wine, a glass and then a PH meter.

Comment

Working...
                                X