Grapefest 2012 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    If you have already added nutrient - I will take the risk and say it probably has enough. (cos I am doing the same grapes as you and mine are fine with no nutrient at all ) so you do not need to add any more.

Hope this helps
    Yes thanks Brian I was leaning towards only putting more in if I got an eggy smell. The original nutrient addition was half the quantity recommended on the tub so that I could add more if necessary.

Comment

Brix'es in the 7.5 - 8 range, which means it's close.

Planning on pressing tomorrow regardless - good weather forecast, which means I can use the big new press rather than the table-top one.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        Brix'es in the 7.5 - 8 range, which means it's close.
        Pete, what are you using to measure this... a refractometer or something else?

"Close" in my dictionary usually means that it's been sitting at 0 brix for at least a day.
        Steve

Comment

I thought that the reading you see on the refractometer is skewed by the alcohol now in the must, so an adjustment should be made.

I was using The Valley Vintner's spreadsheet. For instance, my Merlot started at 24.5, so a reading of 9 gives me an SG of 0.996.

Does this sound right to you?
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Now that I think about it, that does sound about right. I always have trouble reading it toward the end. The more alcohol there is, the blurrier the refractometer gets.

Come to think of it, I guess that applies to people as well.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Now that I think about it, that does sound about right. I always have trouble reading it toward the end. The more alcohol there is, the blurrier the refractometer gets.

Come to think of it, I guess that applies to people as well.
              LOL. It certainly applies to my wife.

This link is good. http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html#monitorferment
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Pressed all three reds today

Merlot SG1.001
                Tempranillo SG1.003
                Montepulciano SG1.000

Monte has a lot of tannin, Tempranillo was very drinkable already Yields down a bit on last year.

Comment

What a difference a bit of honey and time can make. When I took readings on Thursday evening, the merlot, the tempranillo and the mixed Merlot/temp buckets (with 3 boxes of grape each) were all about the 1.060 mark, while the small bucket with just 1 box of temp was at 1.045

Didn't take a reading after just adding the honey, so I'm just gonna keep bashing the cap down and step feed till they stop.....
                  Last edited by fatbloke; 29-09-2012, 08:11 AM.
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Not going to be able to rack/press today (am currently sat at work this morning - then off to the Kenny to watch LTFC this afternoon). Tomorrow looks good though!!! Going to possibly leave the cap and not punch down tonight, so that i can rack off from under the skins as per Brian's talk last year.
                    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Merlot all done. 995 pressed and pumped over. Nice.
                      Breakfast while watching your wine press - the only way to start the day.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Ok, so when I did my morning bash down of the cap, I decided to do a final step feed this evening. I'm planning a further 200g of honey per box of grape.

So the question is, how much longer should I continue to press the cap down, given that the intention is to leave the skins in until they sink ?

I ask, because I normally only aerate traditional meads to the 1/3rd break, and a traditional is much less prone to oxidation, that a pyment, especially one made from fresh grape.
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Pressing, cleaning, trying to get done in time to pop down the road to see the Vulcan flypast. More later ....
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                            So the question is, how much longer should I continue to press the cap down, given that the intention is to leave the skins in until they sink ?
                            twice a day till they sink
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Monte, Tempranillo and Merlot pressed. Caps hadn't sunk but I was constrained by the weather (i.e. only decent day forecasted for a bit, pressing outside).

Shiny new press worked well. Definitely faster than the old Boots press, which was 1/3 the capacity. A lot of time is spent on the 'turn handle, wait, turn a bit more, wait ...' cycle, and with a bigger press there are a lot fewer cycles, hence faster pressing.

The downside is that the press bag is a lot coarser, so there is a lot more sediment in the DJs and carboys. I will follow Steve's lead here - wait a day, then rack off the lees. At least that's what I thought Steve did (I'm sure you'll correct me if required ).

Minus sediment, I reckon I have a little over a gallon per box from the Monte and Temp, and about a gallon a box from the Merlot. Merlot colour is an oily, inky darkness, Temp and Monte a bit less intense.

Missed the Vulcan though
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                twice a day till they sink
                                Ok Bob, TVM for the guidance

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                                X