Photos Morat- Mulberry Mead - after clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos Morat- Mulberry Mead - after clearing

This Mulberry Mead is going to be something else. I can tell why the Roman Chairman's and elite enjoyed this drink. This is the first year that I have made Morat. The berries are from a twig that I planted 8 years ago and is now around 20 feet tall and quite bushy. I keep trimming it back as the 20 foot height is about as high as I would like it to go. It gave me more that 20 pounds of delicious mulberries this past summer. I did not know what to expect from the mead but I had read good comments on it from some old literature so it has kind of been in the 7 year planning that I would try it and now I have. The aromas are like a giant licorice pit with great full bodied, mellow taste of dark Christmas Pudding and figs - if you know what I mean. Something to cherish. What will bulk ageing do to this one? Hope in the spring I will be able to have a bottle. Cheers DAW
    Attached Files

Sounds and looks awesome!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

What, no elderberry mead, you got all the others I have 2 of the tame mulberries, how are you trimming yours Stockey, central leader?

Crackedcork
      WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
        What, no elderberry mead, you got all the others I have 2 of the tame mulberries, how are you trimming yours Stockey, central leader?

Crackedcork
        Sorry Cork - I lost my two elderberry trees last summer. They were tucked away in a corner and unfortunately they both perished because they got no water. The raspberries and the garden got the water but it was my fault not to make sure the water was getting to the elderberry trees. I had elderberries in previous years that I used in blended berry wines. I will try to plant two more this spring.

I have the Illinois Everbearing mulberry. Produces with out a companion. It has had fruit for the past three years but this summer was great - more than 20 pounds. These are unusual growing bushes? The trunk is only about 1 foot above ground level and the main branches shoot out from there. For the pruning - not much information, not like apples or other fruit trees. I am careful about the bleeding problem when pruning. It is done when the tree is truly dormant (end of February - when most of the real cold stuff is over). I just take out crossing branches and there are quite a few of those and cut back the tallest branches and side main branches to try and keep it in bounds. Great heart shaped leaves on this bush; some tip die back but it seems to be getting better with this problem. A good helping of 20-20-20 fertilizer in early spring before bud break and again during the summer. Seems to enjoy being soaked so it gets a good watering at least once a week.

Cork you have two and much better growing conditions (warmer), I can not imagine how much more your bushes will produce. Cheers DAW

Comment

Hi DAW, I planted the Illinois Everbearers and need to find a way to prune them so we wont have to use a big ladder to pick them, our wild trees are now much to big to pick from without a long ladder. Was thinking of a modified leader, keeping the main stem harshly pruned and pruning the side branches so they keep branching out. Do your berries come on year old wood or older or younger?

Crackedcork
          WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
            Hi DAW, I planted the Illinois Everbearers and need to find a way to prune them so we wont have to use a big ladder to pick them, our wild trees are now much to big to pick from without a long ladder. Was thinking of a modified leader, keeping the main stem harshly pruned and pruning the side branches so they keep branching out. Do your berries come on year old wood or older or younger?

Crackedcork
            Cork I have heard that when the bushes or trees get so tall and ya need a ladder to pick them then they are harvested by using a canvas or white sheet under the trees and giving them a good shake?

The fruit seems to come sparengly on branches grown the previous year (1 year old and mostly on the older branches). Each branch grows very quickly during the growing season must be a foot of growth there.

Hard to pick a real leader in this type of growth - just have to gauge it by the thickness of the main branches. Yes I prune these also and the side branches to a bud in the direction you want it to grow. With the tip die back that I have had sometimes this is difficult. I guess there are competing leaders in the bush but I give them all a prune to try and keep them to a given height and to stop them from encroaching on the neighbours property? Cheers DAW

Comment

Working...
            X