Strawberry Mead Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Mead Question.

I made the following Mead using the recipe for sack mead from the book Making Wild Wines & Meads. Page 106. If I were to add a few pounds of frozen strawberries to it during the primary fermentation for some flavor would it turn out ok. Just a though. I am still new to the whole home wine making thing so please bear with me on all my questions.
    Here is the recipe that I used:

3 lbs. (1.4kg) Shop-Rite Grade A Fancy Honey
    1 tsp. (5g) Acid Blend
    1 tsp. (5) Pectic Enzyme
    1 Campden Tablet (optional)
    1 Package (5-7g) Montrachet Yeast
    1 tsp. (5g) Yeast Nutrient
    1 1/2 Cups (360 ml) orange juice, at room temperature
    1/4tsp (1.25g) grape tannin

Thanks to all.

Originally posted by paulwhite1964 View Post
    I made the following Mead using the recipe for sack mead from the book Making Wild Wines & Meads. Page 106. If I were to add a few pounds of frozen strawberries to it during the primary fermentation for some flavor would it turn out ok. Just a though. I am still new to the whole home wine making thing so please bear with me on all my questions.
    Here is the recipe that I used:

3 lbs. (1.4kg) Shop-Rite Grade A Fancy Honey
    1 tsp. (5g) Acid Blend
    1 tsp. (5) Pectic Enzyme
    1 Campden Tablet (optional)
    1 Package (5-7g) Montrachet Yeast
    1 tsp. (5g) Yeast Nutrient
    1 1/2 Cups (360 ml) orange juice, at room temperature
    1/4tsp (1.25g) grape tannin

Thanks to all.
    Paul - Thank you for the question - Yes you surley can do that. Firstly I would thaw the strawberries to room temperature; slice them in 1/2 or 1/4 if they are large and then with a stainless steel potato masher mash the strawberries coarsely. Put them in a nylon straining bag. You could also sprinkle them with 1 or 1/2 campden tablet mixed in warm water. I would also suggest to add a 1/2 teaspoon of nutrient and some yeast energizer according to the directions for the amount and then stir lightly twice daily until the SG reaches in the area of 1.020. At this time you can squeeze the strawberries in the straining bag gently and discard them and carry on with the secondary part of the alcohol fermentation process. It would be nice if the strawberries were in the primary ferment for approximately 4 days. Cheers - hope this helps DAW
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 24-11-2007, 06:21 PM. Reason: made quote work correctly :)

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X