NZ "Manuka" honey ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ "Manuka" honey ???

Has anyone tried a mead made with Manuka honey ?

If so, what's it like (apart from expensive) ???

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
    Has anyone tried a mead made with Manuka honey ?

If so, what's it like (apart from expensive) ???

regards

JtFB
    I have not tried it but the link shows that it could be great. What do you think FB -- I have always wanted to get some of the Scottish Heather Honey (have you tried this) -- very expensive over here so that is not likely for me. Is there a supplier for the New Zealand honey in GB? Cheers Daw

Treat your taste buds to our large collection of delicious New Zealand table honeys

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
      I have not tried it but the link shows that it could be great. What do you think FB -- I have always wanted to get some of the Scottish Heather Honey (have you tried this) -- very expensive over here so that is not likely for me. Is there a supplier for the New Zealand honey in GB? Cheers Daw

http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/c...s/Manuka_Honey
      Paynes Bee Farm is the nearest one to me that I can find. The "+10" manuka is currently $14.89 per lb (converted at todays prices), the "+15" is $22.38 per lb and the "+20" works out at $68.13 per lb.

So I'm not quite sure how competitive that'd be, but I figured that a 1 gallon batch using the "+10" would give me an idea of how the flavour comes out.

The site you linked does have a lot more diverse versions of it, though I suspect most of them wouldn't sell well here, apart from in the poshest (for the most gullible) health food shops.

My link is just the nearest honey supplier, who happens to deal with various producers as well as selling their own honey - as far as I can tell.

Scottish heather ? Well the "making mead" book says that heather honey can give off flavours, and also the medicinal taste. Thereby requiring considerable ageing.

Now I can't say whether that'd be right or not, but I do intend trying a batch using the heather honey they sell, not sure if it originates in Scotland or not though - I'd have to find out when I get to go up there and visit (the shop/farm is about 10 miles up the road).

I'll probably be posting about each batch I make anyway, so I'll be able to bore the **** off anyone who might need to know how my batches turn out when I get round to making them.

I hope to "cultivate" the shop/farm, as they may also have access to suppliers who can provide more unusual honeys.

Anything's got to be worth a try (even the Australian Eucalyptus honey that Bob warns against).

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Paynes Bee Farm is the nearest one to me that I can find. The "+10" manuka is currently $14.89 per lb (converted at todays prices), the "+15" is $22.38 per lb and the "+20" works out at $68.13 per lb.

So I'm not quite sure how competitive that'd be, but I figured that a 1 gallon batch using the "+10" would give me an idea of how the flavour comes out.

The site you linked does have a lot more diverse versions of it, though I suspect most of them wouldn't sell well here, apart from in the poshest (for the most gullible) health food shops.

My link is just the nearest honey supplier, who happens to deal with various producers as well as selling their own honey - as far as I can tell.

Scottish heather ? Well the "making mead" book says that heather honey can give off flavours, and also the medicinal taste. Thereby requiring considerable ageing.

Now I can't say whether that'd be right or not, but I do intend trying a batch using the heather honey they sell, not sure if it originates in Scotland or not though - I'd have to find out when I get to go up there and visit (the shop/farm is about 10 miles up the road).

I'll probably be posting about each batch I make anyway, so I'll be able to bore the **** off anyone who might need to know how my batches turn out when I get round to making them.

I hope to "cultivate" the shop/farm, as they may also have access to suppliers who can provide more unusual honeys.

Anything's got to be worth a try (even the Australian Eucalyptus honey that Bob warns against).

regards

JtFB

How is this link for the Scottish Heather honey--540$ US for 5 gallons. FB if you can get some I think that it would be really worth a try? I guess that there are also some great areas for meaderies in the Cornwall area/ I guess that you know that area very well. Cheers Daw

Comment

How is this link for the Scottish Heather honey--540$ US for 5 gallons. FB if you can get some I think that it would be really worth a try? I guess that there are also some great areas for meaderies in the Cornwall area/ I guess that you know that area very well. Cheers Daw

http://www.beefolks.com/shopdisplayp...remium+Heather
          Now that does seem expensive DAW, but it's got me wondering how many pounds you get in a gallon ?

Because it's still most common to get it priced by the pound (imperial/454 grammes). So it might not actually work out as expensive as it seems, though if you were buying by the pound normally, I'd guess you'd expect some discount as I'd think that there must be quite a few pounds to the gallon.

Your link does have some outstandingly unusual ones though. Some of the descriptions sound really magical. You just don't see them here.

I mean, Killer Bee Honey ? WTF?

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

[QUOTE=fatbloke;27306]Now that does seem expensive DAW, but it's got me wondering how many pounds you get in a gallon ?

Because it's still most common to get it priced by the pound (imperial/454 grammes). So it might not actually work out as expensive as it seems, though if you were buying by the pound normally, I'd guess you'd expect some discount as I'd think that there must be quite a few pounds to the gallon.

Your link does have some outstandingly unusual ones though. Some of the descriptions sound really magical. You just don't see them here.

The number of pounds in a gallon of Honey is 12 pounds give or take a few ounces compared to the varying moisture contents of each. The 12 pound figure is a good average number to use.

I agree some nice honey in that link; OK for prices but when we add the shipping and import charges it becomes really expensive? Cheers
            Daw

Comment

The number of pounds in a gallon of Honey is 12 pounds give or take a few ounces compared to the varying moisture contents of each. The 12 pound figure is a good average number to use.

I agree some nice honey in that link; OK for prices but when we add the shipping and import charges it becomes really expensive? Cheers
              Daw
              So if I can multiply correctly, that's 9$US per pound or about £4.62, which is expensive but not seriously so. The cheapest Manuka, which seems to be called +10 is £7.65 per pound or an eye watering 14.88 $US. The +15 and +20 manuka get seriously stupid in price. Of course I'd guess I might get some bulk discount if I wanted the 60lb/5 gallons.

Wow! I'm glad I've decided to keep my batches of mead down to 1 gallon at a time. Unless I find a market for it of course (and a recipe/method that tastes like what I think it should taste like - Ha! I can dream can't I ).

Mind you, despite your proclamation of not being an expert , Ok well I'll settle for knowledgeable or an advanced mead maker, I'm also gonna pinch your idea and see if I can track down some Scottish Heather as well. To give it a try. I'm not sure how long it'll take me though, and if the cost plus shipping is too prohibitive I'll give it a miss (unless the local bloke knows where to get some at reasonable price).

Mind you, shipping and tax etc ! what a bummer!.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Ha ha! Just found a place that sells it (the Scottish Heather Honey) for £4.75 per pound, but doesn't include the shipping either. So it actually works out a bit dearer that what they want to charge you. So I might still give it a go, I'll see once I've worked my way through all of the ones that the local bloke does - Oh and I want to try Buckwheat honey as well.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

So if I can multiply correctly, that's 9$US per pound or about £4.62, which is expensive but not seriously so. The cheapest Manuka, which seems to be called +10 is £7.65 per pound or an eye watering 14.88 $US. The +15 and +20 manuka get seriously stupid in price. Of course I'd guess I might get some bulk discount if I wanted the 60lb/5 gallons.

Wow! I'm glad I've decided to keep my batches of mead down to 1 gallon at a time. Unless I find a market for it of course (and a recipe/method that tastes like what I think it should taste like - Ha! I can dream can't I ).

Mind you, despite your proclamation of not being an expert , Ok well I'll settle for knowledgeable or an advanced mead maker, I'm also gonna pinch your idea and see if I can track down some Scottish Heather as well. To give it a try. I'm not sure how long it'll take me though, and if the cost plus shipping is too prohibitive I'll give it a miss (unless the local bloke knows where to get some at reasonable price).

Mind you, shipping and tax etc ! what a bummer!.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Ha ha! Just found a place that sells it (the Scottish Heather Honey) for £4.75 per pound, but doesn't include the shipping either. So it actually works out a bit dearer that what they want to charge you. So I might still give it a go, I'll see once I've worked my way through all of the ones that the local bloke does - Oh and I want to try Buckwheat honey as well.
                Buckwheat is very good different - darker and seems heavier flavor. I have a source for the buckwheat 2 hours from home - 3$ per pound Canadian. I used the buckwheat in 5 imperial gallons of blackberry (melomel) this past summer-fall - it is now in the bulk ageing stage coming close to entering the fifth month of ageing.

I am sure you will find some of that Scottish Heather Honey somewhere near to your home base. I bet that it will be twice the honey that buckwheat is? Good luck on you search. You need a buddy near the Scottish border with knowledge of the moors and areas of heather growth? Cheers Daw

Comment

Buckwheat is very good different - darker and seems heavier flavor. I have a source for the buckwheat 2 hours from home - 3$ per pound Canadian. I used the buckwheat in 5 imperial gallons of blackberry (melomel) this past summer-fall - it is now in the bulk ageing stage coming close to entering the fifth month of ageing.

I am sure you will find some of that Scottish Heather Honey somewhere near to your home base. I bet that it will be twice the honey that buckwheat is? Good luck on you search. You need a buddy near the Scottish border with knowledge of the moors and areas of heather growth? Cheers Daw
                  When I googled for buckwheat yesterday, most of the hits where about some articles that appeared in the press recently about how it's supposed to be an all purpose panacea for childhood coughs.

I did find a few leads though, but mainly for buckwheat produced in either Poland or Latvia. The only downside with that, was that it was really weird trying to work out the price per pound/half kilo, the ones I looked at seemed to be in odd sized jars, like instead of the ubiquitous 1 lb or 454g, or even the 340g jars, there was one that had it in 380g jars, another in 400g jars.

I mean, how complicated can it be ? at least sell it in 500g jars. The whole of Europe understands the half kilo measurement!

Mind you DAW, even Scottish Heather isn't that common. You can get it in those silly little jars, like you sometimes see in hotels etc, about 65g if I remember correctly.

Now that would be a real PITA, trying to get the best part of 2 kilo's out of 65g jars .

Not to worry though, I'll keep looking.

As for Scottish contacts ? they all disappeared when I left the navy 10 years ago. The nearest would be Clares (my partner) family in Lancashire. Though the Scottish border is about 80 or so miles north of them, so they don't get up there very often (if at all). Hence I'm thinking that mail order will probably be the way ahead!

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Great -- Please keep us informed if you ever get some and make some Mead from it. By the looks of the flavor description for it in the Flavor of Honey post that I just posted it sounds delicious and aromatic. Maybe one day I will get my hands on some. Cheers Daw

Comment

Working...
                    X