a link that I "Stumbledupon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a link that I "Stumbledupon"

Everything about mead making, tutorials, videos, articles and more covering everything from fermenting to bottling.

Being one of those spooky types who doesn't believe in fattening Bill Gates' pockets any further i.e. a linux user, I've had firefox as my main browser for some time.

The link above appeared when I was hitting the "stumbleupon" button - it's an extension of my browser and a most entertaining one at that.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Just had a look on there John they have a Vanilla one which they use the extract 1 fluid ounce to a gallon,

Scott...
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Nice link FB; some great general overall methods in there. Must have taken a while to put all the photos and things togethe Well worth reviewing.

HM - vanila extract ya great, look for the clear - depending on the type of mead that you are making. The best is the real vanila bean; great flavor from those and probabably less expensive.

Cheers Daw

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
        Just had a look on there John they have a Vanilla one which they use the extract 1 fluid ounce to a gallon,

Scott...
        I'm just trying to think Scott, but I think that the Vanilla extract that Lakeland sell is about 100 or so ml's - about 3 quid last time I looked. But I've also seen the same stuff in Tesco's, but without any Lakeland branding on the label, otherwise identically labelled - and probably cheaper as well.

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
        Nice link FB; some great general overall methods in there. Must have taken a while to put all the photos and things togethe Well worth reviewing.

HM - vanila extract ya great, look for the clear - depending on the type of mead that you are making. The best is the real vanila bean; great flavor from those and probably less expensive.

Cheers Daw
        I didn't really read it that closely DAW, but the bit's I did read looked interesting.

As for Vanilla pods, the local supermarket has them, but you only get 2 in like a cigar tube, and that will cost you about 3 quid (about 6 $). So I reckon that the extract might be a bit more cost effective - plus you get to use it in general cooking as well. It's got an excellent flavour.

I've not seen any natural vanilla extract that's clear, this side of the pond (of course it may be available). The only clear one I've seen is "vanilla flavouring", which is chemical based, not "real" vanilla. The "Madagascar Bourbon" one I've mentioned to Scott, is vvv dark, and cloudy. About the same consistency as Worcestershire sauce or Tabasco. I'd guess that any particulate matter should settle out nicely, though even using 1 fluid oz per gallon, I shouldn't think it would affect a batch much.

It's yet another idea stacked away for future attempts

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I got clear Vanilla extract from a speciality store. It is 100% vanilla extract although I guess that there must have been some processing done? is vanilla juice clear? I prefer the fresh vanilla bean - that is they have to be fresh - soft enough that you are able to split then apart easily with a knife. You only need one good fresh vanilla bean in the 5 imperial gallon secondary fermenter for approximately 10 - 14 days to get the vanilla flavor that is suitable for my tastes. My opinion - each to their own. Cheers Daw

Comment

I was reading the section called 'five practical tips for beginners':
            "Your mead will form a cake of sediment in the bottom and this is perfectly normal. It could be an inch or more thick. This cake of sediment (called Leeds) is the biggest reason why you rack to a new carboy."

My son is hoping to study at Leeds University. Should I be worried?

Comment

Originally posted by eeyores61 View Post
              I was reading the section called 'five practical tips for beginners':
              "Your mead will form a cake of sediment in the bottom and this is perfectly normal. It could be an inch or more thick. This cake of sediment (called Leeds) is the biggest reason why you rack to a new carboy."

My son is hoping to study at Leeds University. Should I be worried?
              Hum? well I'd guess that it'd take longer to age a decent mead than the average student would like, I understand that they can be a little impatient with their drinking habits (source of info? one of my brothers and sister in law work at Sussex i.e. faculty, but not lecturing). But why they might bother with mead in Leeds, when they have the luxury of "fresh" Tetley's (Tetley's outside of Yorkshire doesn't seem to be as nice - I don't believe it "travels" irrespective of what the advertisers say)

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and welcome to the forums

Some blog ramblings

Comment

mmm, tetleys!

Thanks for the welcome, I 've just added grape juice and honey to my shopping list - so wine no. 1 and my first mead should be on the go tomorrow!

Comment

link

Good link John I have not got my mead started that I have been talking about I know i need to get my priority's straight (honey do list) but this certainly is something to read on and get started with good work.
                  http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by eeyores61 View Post
                    mmm, tetleys!

Thanks for the welcome, I 've just added grape juice and honey to my shopping list - so wine no. 1 and my first mead should be on the go tomorrow!
                    Outstanding, well done.

Plenty of info hereabouts for both. For "mead specific", gotmead is an excellent place too look as well (though it's US based and that is reflected in the ingredients, methods, batch sizes etc etc).

I'm not that familiar with other "general" winemaking sites so I can't suggest anywhere, but I'm sure others can.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                    X