Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tannin?

Just a quick one,

I have noticed the addition of very small amounts of Tannin in some recipes like 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons does this really make any difference?

What would the outcome be if you added more, or I should say I have added 2 tsp of Tannin to a recent batch of Wildflower Mead (2 gallon) before I realised the amounts in other recipes of only using the smaller doses?

Have I messed up,

Regards Scott....
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
    Just a quick one,

I have noticed the addition of very small amounts of Tannin in some recipes like 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons does this really make any difference?

What would the outcome be if you added more, or I should say I have added 2 tsp of Tannin to a recent batch of Wildflower Mead (2 gallon) before I realised the amounts in other recipes of only using the smaller doses?

Have I messed up,

Regards Scott....

No you have not messed up - it is you taste that rules here. To much tannin will make you pucker to little tannin will be flat and seem to inhibit flavor taste. A general rule is something like 7-14 grams for dark colored Mead's and 1-2 grams for white Mead's and 0 grams for spiced Mead's per Imperial gallon
    Tannin is also infused into the mead or wine through the pulp fermentation-stems, stalks, leaves, seeds, pits or piths during fermentation. The less contact with these during fermentation the less tannin. The seeds or pits in a fruit degrade with time and contact with the fermentation process and will increase tannin. The Meta in higher concentrations will also break down seeds and skins.

It is important to age our meeds well to achieve the pleasant flavor and aroma qualities of the mead or wine and to bring out the benefits of tannin because it interacts with the acids and alcohols of wines. My flavor preferences for both Mead and Wine is 1/8 teaspoon for higher acid melomels (currant, blackberry, raspberry strawberry)pyments per Imperial gallon, 1/4 teaspoon for dry-sweet and soft fruits such as peach- apricots etc and 0 teaspoons per Imperial gallon for Metheglens.

Taste rules here - when you do the acid testing and adjustment before bottling you will get the flavor you are looking for. If to much tannin it can decrease with ageing the Mead or wine and will slowly interact with the other flavors in the batch to confer a less astringent flavor. Cheers Daw -- hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
      No you have not messed up - it is you taste that rules here. To much tannin will make you pucker to little tannin will be flat and seem to inhibit flavor taste. A general rule is something like 7-14 grams for dark colored Mead's and 1-2 grams for white Mead's and 0 grams for spiced Mead's per Imperial gallon
      Tannin is also infused into the mead or wine through the pulp fermentation-stems, stalks, leaves, seeds, pits or piths during fermentation. The less contact with these during fermentation the less tannin. The seeds or pits in a fruit degrade with time and contact with the fermentation process and will increase tannin. The Meta in higher concentrations will also break down seeds and skins.

It is important to age our meeds well to achieve the pleasant flavor and aroma qualities of the mead or wine and to bring out the benefits of tannin because it interacts with the acids and alcohols of wines. My flavor preferences for both Mead and Wine is 1/8 teaspoon for higher acid melomels (currant, blackberry, raspberry strawberry)pyments per Imperial gallon, 1/4 teaspoon for dry-sweet and soft fruits such as peach- apricots etc and 0 teaspoons per Imperial gallon for Metheglens.

Taste rules here - when you do the acid testing and adjustment before bottling you will get the flavor you are looking for. If to much tannin it can decrease with ageing the Mead or wine and will slowly interact with the other flavors in the batch to confer a less astringent flavor. Cheers Daw -- hope this helps.

Thanks Daw it all helps,

I will take note from now in,

Just another question regarding the Acid content, you mention

"acid testing and adjustment before bottling"

I know I'm a bit off yet but if the Acid content is at 3.5 Ph at a start of ferment would this change during the fermenting process and racking stages?

or is it a case of just fine tuning to what you like?

if that makes sense,

Scott....

Comment

Just another question regarding the Acid content, you mention

"acid testing and adjustment before bottling"

I know I'm a bit off yet but if the Acid content is at 3.5 Ph at a start of ferment would this change during the fermenting process and racking stages?

or is it a case of just fine tuning to what you like?

if that makes sense,

Scott -- (these comments are after the fermentation before bottling) -- The titratable acidity will tend to fall during the fermentation process and the pH will tend to rise. We will always try and finish the Mead so the acidity and pH are in balance with overall flavor or the fermented Mead. This balance is different for each of our taste preferences.

It is not the acid content at 3.5 it is the pH at between 3.1 and 3.5 (approx 3.3) to start before pitching the yeast. Before bottling, acid should be adjusted to a range of approx (depends on taste) .5% for dry mead, .6% for medium dry and .7% for dessert mead. You can also back sweeten (sorbate) the Mead to your preference at this time. Cheers Daw

Comment

Cheers Daw

Comment

Working...
          X