Blackberry Mead MLF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Mead MLF

This is just a start: I am writing the details and will post shortly. Yes MLF -- Malolactic Fermentation in mead. See photo, hope it shows. Very interesting process! Cheers Daw
    Attached Files

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
    This is just a start: I am writing the details and will post shortly. Yes MLF -- Malolactic Fermentation in mead. See photo, hope it shows. Very interesting process! Cheers Daw
    Here are some details that I have prepared concerning this MLF in mead. In the photo I hope you are able to see the CO2 bubbles at the neck of the carboy. This is a very gentle bubbling process.

MALOLATIC FERMENTATION (MLF)

This thing called MLF can be a double edged sword? MLF will convert malic acid which is the harsh acid of unripe grapes and other malic fruits and berries such as rhubarb, some cultivars of peach, yellow plums blackberries and apples to the much softer lactic acid. Other malic fruits/berries have fewer grams per liter of malic acid such as apricots, cherries and some peach cultivars. These MLF bacteria can both good and bad: the good ones achieve a wonderful and desirable malic acid reduction without producing the bad aromas or flavors; the bad ones also convert malic acid but also introduce smells and vapors that will make a mead or wine undrinkable.

We as home wine/mead makers have to decide whether we want to start MLF? MLF can occur spontaneously as it has in my case but it is probably better to as soon after the nice clean yeast fermentation has been completed. If you bottle mead and then the MLF starts there are great possibilities that if any citric acid is present it could be transformed into acetic acid and other byproducts and will cause your mead to turn turbid, some slight bubbles and off-flavors and aromas. If it is a white colored mead with good MLF you may get increased complexity and softness and in the darker malic reds of meads there will be less of the harsh acids and there for more pleasant to drink.
    Fortunately, I have checked the blackberry Melomel that I have and that is currently undergoing a MLF and the vapors are wonderful, like a blackberry bush full of blossom and a wonderful perfume aroma and a blackberry flavor but still very young tasting. It is now entering the fifth month of bulk ageing.
    For my opinion I would suggest that we may consider when making these high malic fruit and berry Melomels or the high acid pyments we should be considering having these batches undergo a MLF. Cheers… My current MLF could last three weeks to three months? This is the reason that many of the literature reviews adding the malolactic culture as soon after the alcohol fermentation stage as possible. The MLF occurrence in mead is not very well documented and very little information is available. Cheers Daw --hope this is of some use. I hope the MLF that I have going continues to improve the blackberry Melomel in my cool storage area.

Comment

Wow, I wonder if that's what's happening to my "Barshack Ginger Mead" - made with fruit ? i.e a collar of white bubbles about 1cm deep at the top of the bottle - despite having apparently finished fermenting, and having been racked at least once (I spotted it yesterday).

If so, how would it be stopped if it's not what's required ?

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

MLF will occur when there is Malic acid present..

What is the SG currently?
        What acids did you add?
        What is the temp?
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yes there are a number of conditions that are favorable for MLF to happen - if these things are not present the Malolactic bacilli are very fussy and process will not start:

Temperature at around 20 C, alcohol levels below 14%, low SO2, presence of dead yeas cells as a nutrient source and a pH 3.3 3.5. When the MLF has completed we will be looking for a pH 3.6 at the maximum. Cheers very interesting process. Daw

The link below shows us that there is a method to test for Malic Acid.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            MLF will occur when there is Malic acid present..

What is the SG currently?
            What acids did you add?
            What is the temp?
            Ah! Damn, more complications
            Dunno about the gravity, I'd have to check.

Acids ? Citric, I think. I'd have to look in the book (Papazian's "CJOHB"). I followed the recipe reasonably closely, but as per his suggestion, I used some "Summer Fruit" that I had frozen. I don't know if any of them would be classed as "Malic fruits"?

As for temp? Room temperature i.e. 18 to 22 degrees C (it lives in our centrally heated, south facing dining room).
            Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
            Yes there are a number of conditions that are favorable for MLF to happen - if these things are not present the Malolactic bacilli are very fussy and process will not start:

Temperature at around 20 C, alcohol levels below 14%, low SO2, presence of dead yeas cells as a nutrient source and a pH 3.3 3.5. When the MLF has completed we will be looking for a pH 3.6 at the maximum. Cheers very interesting process. Daw

The link below shows us that there is a method to test for Malic Acid.

http://www.stompthemgrapes.com/Testi...y_Accuvin.html
            Damn, damn and double damn! I'm thinking that it might actually qualify on most of the points you've suggested DAW. I certainly didn't add any MLF culture - that kind of thing is a bit advanced for me at the moment.

I've never knowingly, tasted a wine that's had that done to it.

It's only had the one racking so far, so there could conceivably be Malolactic bacilli present - depending on the fruit (would they have survived being frozen I'm wondering now ??).

I'll have to check out that link and see what it says.

Thanks for the guidance so far.

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Oh yes for the freezing part this has to do with the fermentation of the yeasts in the original primary ferment and the left over dead lees or fruit pulp as a nutrient food for the MLF bacteria. Cheers Daw

Comment

Is this process down to just Meads with fruit additions or can just basic Meads have this occur?

Good luck Daw sounds all very interesting!
                A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
                  Is this process down to just Meads with fruit additions or can just basic Meads have this occur?

Good luck Daw sounds all very interesting!
                  Scott as far as i know it is down to melomels and pyments and possibly some others that I have not come across yet. Malic fruits and berries and high acid grapes are the main contributors. I suppose but do not know for sure but I feel some honies that are high in acid may also contribute?? Interesting possibilities -- not much written on this that I know of. The honey that I used for this blackberry melomel was Buckwheat and the free acid content in this Buckwheat honey is higher in free acid than many? Cheers this hobby is great! Daw

Comment

Working...
                  X