Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clover Mead Cloudy?

Hi all,

My first ever Mead wont clear I did a Clover Mead along with a Wild Flower and its been about 4 weeks since I did them. The wild flower is crystal clear and the recent Strawberry, but the Clover is no where near what could this be and what could I do?

I did de-gass using the shake rattle and roll in two DJ's which seemed to work for the others but I will try again tomorrow to check if it needs another bash,

Regards Scott......
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Is it still fermenting? Is the SG 1.000 or less? You could try a fining to clear it up such as bentonite and sparkaloid. Cheers Daw

Comment

Hi Scott, is this just a straight honey mead ie did you add any fruit, if so what type and did you add pectolase (pectic enzyme) ? Have you tried finings or putting your dj out in the cold ? these will help with the stubborn ones.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

4 weeks doesn't seem all that long to me, I've had meads take months to clear.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
          Is it still fermenting? Is the SG 1.000 or less? You could try a fining to clear it up such as bentonite and sparkaloid. Cheers Daw
          Daw, no it finished .994 and after racking stabilising and topping up with honey water it still is the same, I have some fining's I will give it a go.

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          Hi Scott, is this just a straight honey mead ie did you add any fruit, if so what type and did you add pectolase (pectic enzyme) ? Have you tried fining's or putting your dj out in the cold ? these will help with the stubborn ones.
          Yes Duff no fruit and I didn't add any pectolase, its in the cellar temp is at 12C, but I will try outside for a while,

Thanks Daw, Duff,

Scott.......

Comment

Is it properly degassed? (if it isnt then particles will stay in suspension)

If you are adding finings, leave the DJ in the warm till they do their work.

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
              4 weeks doesn't seem all that long to me, I've had meads take months to clear.
              Hi Mamgiowl,

I thought about leaving longer just with the others clearing so quickly thought this could have as well, so maybe after a cold night and dose of fining's it might clear I will see how it goes,

Scott.....

Comment

Scott, you should make it a habit to always add pectolase when starting a wine. It saves so much trouble at the other end of the process.
                Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  Is it properly degassed? (if it isnt then particles will stay in suspension)

If you are adding finings, leave the DJ in the warm till they do their work.

regards
                  Bob
                  Just missed your post Bob,

There is just a little fizz when you shake not much so I will give this another good before all else,

Scott....

Comment

Scott, you should make it a habit to always add pectolase when starting a wine. It saves so much trouble at the other end of the process.
                    Ok so even in Mead should I add Pectolase, could I add some now or is it too late?

Regards Scott.....

Comment

IMO it can't do any harm. Give it a good stir and leave it a few days to give it time to work. Don't add finings yet.
                      Let's party

Comment

You can add it after the event, but I'm not a mead maker so not sure if honey contains pectin or not.

there is a simple test though...

take some of the Mead and add it to some methylated spirits and shake the snot out of it....if it clumps and goes stringy, then there is pectin present. If it doesn't then there isn't

hope this helps
                        regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

IMO it can't do any harm.

I add pectolase to everything I make these days, better safe than sorry, and there are no ill effects from pectin destroying enzymes.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            You can add it after the event, but I'm not a mead maker so not sure if honey contains pectin or not.

regards
                            Bob
                            From my reading it's the little bits of pollen that can still be in the honey even after processing

PS for 'little' read 'microscopic'
                            Let's party

Comment

I have just siphoned half into another DJ to give it a good shake when I noticed loads of what I can only describe as minute crystals or grains but they are not really any colour and are all around the side of the glass, dont know if you can make them out here

What do you think?

Regards Scott........

p.s. if its too big I will re-size just easier to see at this size!

Comment

Working...
                              X