Melomel Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melomel Ideas?

I'm thinking of doing a couple more Melomels and like the idea of maybe a Banana or Cherry or Blueberry what do you think has anyone tried them?

Or any recommended recipes would be good!

Regards Scott.....
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

I have done a little reading on this subject (but not a lot) and from what i uderstand, the fruit is better placed in secondary vessel, after the vigorous part of ferment is over. (better fruit forweard flavour I think

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
      I'm thinking of doing a couple more Melomels and like the idea of maybe a Banana or Cherry or Blueberry what do you think has anyone tried them?

Or any recommended recipes would be good!

Regards Scott.....
      I am a great pusher of both blue berry and cherry. If you can do either of these go for it. Banana is a no from me - not my favorite. AS the review below - I go in the other direction and use ample fruit (DINNER OR DESSERT) quantities that are outlined in the table of fruits in the tutorial. Always in a straining bag, use a large primary fermenter ( at least 10-12 gallon one for 5 gallons of melomel. By using lots of fruit the fruit forward taste is excellent along with also the flavor of the honey being there. Cheers Daw -- my opinion

I like Bob's comments below and I have read a number of things that say the introduction of the fruit in the secondary process and even in the bulk ageing process gives the fruit forward that is very desirable. PROBLEM with this is that it is difficult to do with small opening at the top of DJ's and carboys -- would be nice to have a stainless tank for this

Originally posted by Bob
      I have done a little reading on this subject (but not a lot) and from what i uderstand, the fruit is better placed in secondary vessel, after the vigorous part of ferment is over. (better fruit forward flavour I think)
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Cheers Daw, Bob,

Sounds a good idea with the fruit in secondary but how could you do it, wouldn't it leave a lot of space once removed or would they be in for the long haul, would you chop the fruit up?

I will keep an eye out for the deals on Cherries and Blueberries then cheers Daw

Comment

Maybe put the fruit in at 1.030 to 1.040 and remove it at 1.010 to 1.005 and then rack to secondary and top up............
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Maybe put the fruit in at 1.030 to 1.040 and remove it at 1.010 to 1.005 and then rack to secondary and top up............
            Ok I see what you mean now, might be worth a little experiment

cheers Bob

Comment

Below is the ideal type of fermenter for the fermentation of the fruit in the secondary or bulk ageing stage. Sure would be nice to have three or four of these but most are not able to afford such a luxury. I have tried using fruit in the secondary with a straining bag, firstly you have to put a small amount of fruit in the straining bag; thread it into the secondary carboy or DJ and then add more fruit through the bag that you are holding above the neck of the DJ. Then tie it off and let it drop into the DJ. You will then rack the must in the primary fermenter into the DJ until approx 3 inches from the top. Some difficulty getting all out when the secondary ferment is over but it works. If you just put the fruit in with out the bag you will have other clearing problems and racking problems to deal with. You will need to top up with a similar mead or some other that you had frozen to use as back-sweetening.

Much easier with the stainless steel tank? Cheers - good luck Scott --p I am satisfied right now with the extra fruit during the primary ferment. Daw

Your online wine making, home brewing, & kombucha making supply store. From beer and wine making kits to complete recipes we have you covered. Free shipping on orders over $125.

Comment

RJ Spagnals (Canadian Kit company) have started recomending that you ferment their kits to dry in primary bucket (with snap lid and airlock) I dont see any reason you couldn't do that with a mead.......and that would allow fruit in fermenter for longer....
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  RJ Spagnals (Canadian Kit company) have started recomending that you ferment their kits to dry in primary bucket (with snap lid and airlock) I dont see any reason you couldn't do that with a mead.......and that would allow fruit in fermenter for longer....

Ya, I have noticed that in a number of the grape pack kits even in the Cellar Craft. I still like to rack after approximately 1.020 and get it off the lees in the bottom - just a habit that is hard to change I guess? I think that most of the color and flavor has been extracted from the fruit and skins by that time and we are likely not loosing much by racking that early. Then there are the things like blackberries and raspberries with the seeds possibly adding bitterness and the suggestion of racking off the these fruits in 3 or four days? Cheers all -- always new things coming out. Daw

Comment

Working...
                  X