Bee Pollen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee Pollen?

Has anyone used or read about the possibility of using Bee Pollen either raw or in powder form as an addition to Mead?

The little I have found on it is quite remarkable although I don't know if its qualities would help or hinder a Mead, it has some amazing properties found this but its a long read,

http://www.alternativescentral.com/beepollen.htm

Do you think this could help in anyway?

Best Regards Scott......
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Scott-- lots of highly technical stuff in there. Would take some real scientific research to answer any questions. The bees are amazing little creatures along with the other pollinators like the little hummingbirds. It is one reason why I am interested in the Heather honey for some of these same reasons...One question that I have been thinking of is could we use the honeycombe in some of the mead fermentation process or in the ageing process.

Good read; I enjoyed it. Cheers Daw

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
      Scott-- lots of highly technical stuff in there. Would take some real scientific research to answer any questions. The bees are amazing little creatures along with the other pollinators like the little hummingbirds. It is one reason why I am interested in the Heather honey for some of these same reasons...One question that I have been thinking of is could we use the honeycombe in some of the mead fermentation process or in the ageing process.

Good read; I enjoyed it. Cheers Daw
      All interesting stuff I was amazed at all the vitamins and minerals in just a small amount of pollen but without any factual evidence was curious if it could be used and how much, might see if I can do a bit more searching,

Cheers Daw,

Regards Scott......

Comment

An interesting site, and it would appear that bee pollen is full of everything a body could possibly need. But I'm always wary about so called 'wonder foods' that say they can help in the treatment of cancer and other serious diseases, especially from someone who is selling the stuff.

I'm aware, from past readings, that pollen is a beneficial tonic, but how much you'd need to add to a batch of wine to make it effective is anybody's guess. I also wonder if there'd be an issue with clearing?
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Is it sort of like.....

the pollen is the concentrate that the honey is made of?

in which case adding pollen to mead would be like adding grape extract to wine? ~(sometimes useful, but a well balanced must shouldn't need it)

I too think that there may be clearing issues, but maybe not....a trial run side by side with one mead with it added and one without seems the logical way forward

(I think but these are just post breakfast, pre work, hotel bedroom ramblings from sunny and windy Glasgow, and as such could be complete B***s)
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Cheers Mamgiowl, Bob,

Yep lots of questions, just another rash idea of mine there is some logic in there I think just not too sure if its going to be a good one or bad, might be just another excuse for some more batches being done

See if I can find any more info,

Regards Scott.....

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
              Cheers Mamgiowl, Bob,

Yep lots of questions, just another rash idea of mine there is some logic in there I think just not too sure if its going to be a good one or bad, might be just another excuse for some more batches being done

See if I can find any more info,

Regards Scott.....
              Scott, rash ideas are good, it's what makes us find new recipes , don't be afraid to dabble but do expect to make a rotton wine/mead now and again. Experiment is the spice of life, if we don't try it we'll never know.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cheers Duff I hope I don't get too many,

From what I have found 1 tablespoon per gallon seems to be the norm although I think they have referred to raw or fresh pollen and if I remember the last link I posted (the long one) seemed to think that dried pollen would be 20% to 25% stronger so if my math is correct it should equate to 2 teaspoons per gallon, now I just need some space to try a batch,

found this referring to it in recipes,

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=u...n+mead#PPP1,M1

Bob you might want to have a look on page 126 its very interesting

Regards Scott.....

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
                  Bob you might want to have a look on page 126 its very interesting

ARGH!
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Very Interesting, I could really get to like that one. I would search high an low for both types of Heather Honey and give it a try. Cheers Daw

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
                      Very Interesting, I could really get to like that one. I would search high an low for both types of Heather Honey and give it a try. Cheers Daw
                      Daw the guy I get the honey off has some Heather honey from North Yorkshire but its quite expensive £19.75 for 3kg, I did buy a small jar to try, it tastes and smells strong. It also says that its Set but its still a runny consistency
                      I presume this would take a while to age too.

http://www.honeycombco.co.uk/Honey.htm

Regards Scott....

p.s. Just out of curiosity whats so special about Heather Honey?
                      Last edited by happymondays; 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X