Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
    Daw,

I did have a look at the steel fermentors but the cheapest one I found were around the £200 mark so thats off the wish list.

The enzymic extraction sounds good is it complicated?

Cheers Daw,

regards Scott...

I know about the stainless stuff - it is outrageous only for the wineries in most cases I guess - but it sure is the Cadillac.

The enzymic extraction is not complicated and I believe that in many cases that it would give better results in much of the country wines and melomels-pyments that we make. Basically it is much better than pulp fermentation: it gives us the accurate additions of all the sugars prior to fermentation, much cleaner aromas and flavors are extracted this way (very much used in the red wine industry). Put the fresh or frozen fruit in the straining bags as usual (or you can just put the fruit into the primary and strain it all out when the extraction is complete), add sulphite according to the batch that you are making, keep the temperature near the 20C mark slightly below OK (16-18)- try to keep constant temperature add the other additives except the nutrients or energizers. Pectic enzyme is the big additive in this method as it will break down the skins, cell walls and allow the juices and color to collect in the primary. You will have to stir twice daily and try to squish the fruit at the same time without crushing the seeds. If using apricots, peaches etc. remove the pit before doing this and if using oranges, lemons etc. remove the peel and pith and use some of the zest from the peels. This extraction will take approximately 36 hours. Then pour the fruit through a straining bag or squish the straining bags to collect all the juice (discard the spent fruit) and carry on with the rest of the recipe (nutrients, introduction of honey or sugars if you are making country wines,-SG and pH measurements and acid in country wine and there it is. You will notice a difference doing it this way - may take a little longer but I think in many cases is the way to go? at least I think so. Cheers - hope this helps. Daw

Comment

Scott and all interested: attached is a quite technical link for the extraction through the enzymic process. It is extremely interesting and applies to grape wines, country wines, melomels and pyment and probable some others that are not on my mind at the present. Hope it is of some use. Cheers Daw

Comment

Good link Daw, cheers
        regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Cheers Daw I will have a good look tonight when I get in sounds very interesting!!

Be nice to afford one of the stainless fermentors but I think its just beyond my wallet, I am sure there must be an alternative will keep looking.

Regards Scott.....
          A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Daw thats some enzyme they only recommend 2 to 5g per 100 litres of must if I have it right.

Is it available to us mortals or is it more a commercial product, just done a google on Rapidase plenty of info on it but nothing for selling it.

Looks impressive stuff I take it my Pectolase isn't one in the same then?

Cheers Daw,

Regards Scott....

p.s. they even know about it here in the land of Parsnips,

http://www.foodyorkshire.com/foodyor...&parent_id=124

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
              Daw thats some enzyme they only recommend 2 to 5g per 100 litres of must if I have it right.

Is it available to us mortals or is it more a commercial product, just done a google on Rapidase plenty of info on it but nothing for selling it.

Looks impressive stuff I take it my Pectolase isn't one in the same then?

Cheers Daw,

Regards Scott....

p.s. they even know about it here in the land of Parsnips,

http://www.foodyorkshire.com/foodyor...&parent_id=124

Scott - there are so many of these ases and eymes I have trouble keeping up with them all. They come also in liquid form which I find very attractive; don't know if you have that option there? There is another one that I have some literature on called pectinglycosidase (trade name of "Rohament P") that is supposed to give and increased yield of juice of up to 25%; but apparently if we are not careful with this stuff and we happen to use to much it could leave the fruit to a very fine pulp that is very difficult to deal with and as a result extract unwanted flavors? There is a good write up in the WineMaker Magazine approximately one year ago. Ya! this stuff is very interesting? Cheers Daw

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
                They come also in liquid form which I find very attractive; don't know if you have that option there?
                Hi Daw no not seen any of that only various types of Amalase, pectolase and the like in powder form.

There is another one that I have some literature on called pectinglycosidase (trade name of "Rohament P") that is supposed to give and increased yield of juice of up to 25%; but apparently if we are not careful with this stuff and we happen to use to much it could leave the fruit to a very fine pulp that is very difficult to deal with and as a result extract unwanted flavors?
                Yep seen that over here (Rohament P) although cant remember if my HB shop has it but google is my friend loads of online sites selling it, curiously I thought that these were just used to prevent pectin hazes forming when using fruits but to use it as an extraction of juice from fruits is amazing, learning new stuff all the time. I did have a look for the company that was in the write up you initially posted DSM and found there site, they do loads of different products for different purposes, lots of different enzymes here,

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dfs/fruit-products.htm

click on the fruit pictures for more info!

I never thought I would be learning as much as this when I first started but it aint half interesting,

cheers Daw,

regards Scott....

Comment

posted DSM and found there site, they do loads of different products for different purposes, lots of different enzymes here

Cheers Scott interesting link?
                  Daw

Comment

hmmmm

maybe we need to see if we can get their products shipped to the UK
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      hmmmm

maybe we need to see if we can get their products shipped to the UK
                      Do you reckon you could find out about these Bob, be interesting to have a go with some of them,

Regards Scott...

Comment

I have emailed them....see what comes back

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Whilst looking on Leylands HB site I noticed these,

Fermenter with tap

do you think these would be alright to use for adding fruit to after, a recipe I have seen says to add fruit for around 2 weeks or more. I suppose I would have to fill it pretty much to or near the top, what do you think?

Regard Scott.......

p.s. Bob on a side note when I try to use the insert link it doesn't give me an option to put a cover word in just straight to the http:/
                          It has shown insert word the odd time but maybe for a second then disappears, I have noticed other people using it so was wondering is there something I am missing?
                          Last edited by Duffbeer; 30-04-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Type in the word you wish to use....then add a hyperlink to it (the earth with the glasses below)

those fermenters with the tap?

the surface area exposed to oxygen would be too great I think, for long term storage you need a DJ with a neck that narrows, so there is less exposure to oxygen

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ok cheers Bob

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                Type in the word you wish to use....then add a hyperlink to it (the earth with the glasses below)
                                -----%<-----
                                You can also use the "switch editor mode" (top right hand corner of the "message" box section - marked with 2 A's).

It give you an HTML version view and allows you to insert a keyword link that way

regards

JtFB
                                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                                X