De-Gassing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Gassing?

I know we are meant to de-gass wine or mead after ferment, but is there any loss of aromas, alcohol etc. I was thinking about the vigorous shake in DJ's and wondered if there was any problems with using this method in any loss of the above mentioned.
    Is there any chance of any oxidisation too with the vacuum filter method, would this oxygenate the wine or mead in any way and would the filter part remove some flavours?
    Will wine or mead just naturally de-gass over time?

(runs for cover)
    A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

ha ha

no need to run for cover

It is alleged that wine will degass itself over time.......I dont believe this to be true, I think the wine needs a little "help"

I have a three year old batch of Turkish black cherry still under airlock, and STILL gassy (mind you cherry wine seems to hold more CO2 than others) but during fermentation 100g of sugar becomes 51.1g alcohol and 48.9g CO2....thats a LOT of CO2 (Source: progressive winemaking, Acton & Duncan)

And personally I dont think there are big oxidation issues during filtering or degassing.

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I agree, a gassy wine is more than likely going to prevent bouquet coming through rather than spoiling it, as with the oxidisation, I too agree with Bobster, provided you have sulphited all should be well.
      Filtering in my opinion does no harm whatsoever, I have a standard method with all my white / rose wines (not everyone will agree) Once ferment has ceased stabalise-24 hrs de-gas- 24 hrs add finings- 24hrs rack and filter, reds are a little different which I allow to fall clear on their own.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I am still having problems de-gassing

after shaking these two wine#1's my arms were like Arnold Sweatyknickers

Strawberry on the left,Raspberry on the right
        I wish I was a glow worm
        Cos a glow worm's never glum
        It's hard to be unhappy
        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

The colour shows up nicely against the white background, well done Zeb'

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Cheers Bob, Duff,

Just was curious thats all as I was shaking a batch yesterday ready for ageing (whilst lashing it down up here)

Looking good zeb might just have a look at wine #1

Regards Scott......
            A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Originally posted by happymondays View Post
              might just have a look at wine #1
              make your first one exactly as the recipe 1 litre grape juice 1 litre apple juice, you wont be disappointed

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
              X