Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size glass are you 'supposed' to serve mead in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size glass are you 'supposed' to serve mead in?

I don't think it's the half pint ones that we used to use when young (all those years ago).

Serious question though.

It should be drunk in standard wine glasses.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

No idea. For some reason I always picture mead being served in a silver chalice (a la Robin Hood).
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        No idea. For some reason I always picture mead being served in a silver chalice (a la Robin Hood).
        Ah! would that be the "Hollywood" Robin Hood? The one with the authentic dark ages english accent, who just happened to sound a bit like Kevin Cosner ?

I'd guess that as it's classed as a wine, the a standard measure is 125ml's but as to whether it's strength tallies with the "1 unit" or not is a different matter.

I can't say for certain, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that 125 ml's of wine @ 10 to 11 %ABV is "1 unit of alcohol". Though I suspect that there's gonna be someone here who knows the exact definition.

Personally I don't care, if I'm gonna "have a schlurp", I either drink until "it's" finished or until I'm bored with drinking it!

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I'll second that, John.

But if we're being pedantic I suppose a standard wine glass is the thing, although I rather fancy Steve's silver chalice idea!

Mind, to be really authentic perhaps a horn or leather flagon would be more in keeping.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Ah! would that be the "Hollywood" Robin Hood? The one with the authentic dark ages english accent, who just happened to sound a bit like Kevin Cosner ?
            Actually I was thinking of the Mel Brooks "Men in Tights" version, but same difference.

If you listen carefully to the Costner version, you can hear him drift in and out of his accent. Quite funny actually.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
              I'll second that, John.

But if we're being pedantic I suppose a standard wine glass is the thing, although I rather fancy Steve's silver chalice idea!

Mind, to be really authentic perhaps a horn or leather flagon would be more in keeping.
              Dunno about horns, even though I used to know a few nutters who'd wander round Brighton dressed as Vikings - never did find out why.

As for the leather flagons, the ones I used to see for sale at some of the Bike Rally's I went too, where sealed inside with pitch! Now damn, I know about the recent Na2S2O5 Vs. K2S2O5 controversy, but hell, if anythings gonna change the flavour of a drink (mead/wine/cider/whatever) it's "pitch soaked leather"

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

But then, they didn't have the 'Health and Safety' police in them there days. John.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

This glass would do nicely
                  Attached Files
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Now there is a glass in my size for sure lol
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      This glass would do nicely
                      Do they do mail order
                      A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.

Comment

Horn, horn mug, wooden cup, ceramic face mug, leather skin. BLEH never a new fangled glass though

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post
                          Horn, horn mug, wooden cup, ceramic face mug, leather skin. BLEH never a new fangled glass though

I would have expected no less from you Mel
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I quite like the idea of great big clay tankards, I don't know why - just seems like the right thing to use

Comment

Working...
                            X