Filtering mead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering mead

I'm making my first mead at the moment and I was thinking foreward to the clearing stage. I really want the mead to be crystal clear and was thinking of buying the harris filter or something simular.

Does using a filter remove any of the taste from the mead?

Also can anyone answer the same question in terms of wine aswell.

Many thanks,
    Steve

Probably the best money you could invest, the Harris filter is a great peice of kit for the money and gives your finished wine that super sparkle.
    I do not believe that it removes any taste or colour that would not already drop out with time, it will work perfectly well for both wine and mead, but you must ensure they are clear before filtering or the filter will block. It is a polishing tool not a clearing aid.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a great piece of kit, but as Duff says, let the wine/mead clear first.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

One of the few useful things that I have done for the forum was a tutorial on using the Harris filter. Hit the link and at the very least, look at the before and after pics.

National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by GrillMonkey View Post
          I'm making my first mead at the moment and I was thinking foreward to the clearing stage. I really want the mead to be crystal clear and was thinking of buying the harris filter or something simular.

Many thanks,
          Steve
          Steve, you could just rack it off the lees and then just leave it to clear naturally,

Or,

You can add some finings and clear it that way.

Whichever you prefer (I let my meads clear naturally), you may find that when it's first finished fermenting, that it tastes absolutely horrible, almost like mouthwash or some medicinal.

This isn't a problem because that flavour will disappear with age - meads often require 6 months plus to age.

So let it age, irrespective of any taste/flavour problems which you'll notice the improvements in flavour.

Only filter it prior to bottling as it give it a "final polish" in it's appearance.

Oh and you'll also see references to "minijet" in some posts - it's a powered "plate" filter. Very good, by all accounts, but it still won't filter wines still heavy with sediment - it just blocks the filter.

Hence you have to let it clear (unless you like the taste I'd imagine ).

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Many thanks,
            Steve
            Filtering will not affect the wine, as it is only taking out what would have dropped out anyway...and only filter clear wines and meads.

Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise...the taste will be affected for a short while but wiill return to normal...just the same as when you bottle...the wine gets "shocked" and needs a little lie down to recover

regards bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I have a further question. I'm currently have a mead brewing in my demijohn. It's been going for a couple of days. Do I need to stir/swirl it occasionally or should I just let it sit?

Thanks once again.
              Steve

Comment

Once its underway, and its fermenting well, I would just let it run...the yeasties know what to

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I have a further question. I'm currently have a mead brewing in my demijohn. It's been going for a couple of days. Do I need to stir/swirl it occasionally or should I just let it sit?

Thanks once again.
                  Steve
                  I do, basically as Bob suggests.

Though it's fair to point out, that if you go and read stuff at gotmead, then you'll see other methods where they aerate at certain periods, or add additional nutrients, etc etc. I feel that these other methods are probably worthy of trying, but I suspect that they are peculiar to meads as honey is famously short of nutrients etc and you can easily "stall" a ferment that runs out while the yeasties are still doing their thing. It can take just the addition of extra nutrients to get it going again, just do it in small quantities, you wouldn't want to add too much incase it causes "off flavours".

regards

JtFB
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                  X