Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My JOAM

Hello,

Broke my leg a few weeks ago in a car crash and still have another 13 weeks off work! So I thought I'd use my time wisely and get loads of wine made

I'm concentrating on a loads of beaverdale kits + wine 1 and a few pink wines so once I get a few months supply in the wine rack (Hoping to have 150 ish bottles ready). Then once these get a bit of age (as long as I can keep on top of making more to replenish the stocks) I'd like to purchase a few more expensive kits (60-100 pounds) and see how they compare after ageing.

Anyway enough of the waffling, I racked my JOAM after letting in sit for 2 months after the initial racking and its looking and tasting very good.

I tried in on its first rack and it was foul, tasted very very medicinal but now that I've let it sit for 4 months it tastes rather good. Cant wait to try it around christmas time

Heres a pic of it after 4 months and two racks

Here he is sitting next to a beaverdale sauv blanc (still not clear enough after two months think I'm going to rack into 1 gallons and degass then let it sit for another month).

I'm going to invest in a couple of 5 gallon better bottles so I can let a few kits bulk age as well as bottling some to compare the two.

Next on the list is a blueberry melomel, just waiting of the nice people from asda deliverying my shopping on monday so I can get started

Looking scrummy, I have just started a blueberry mead, it looks and smells fantastic.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I've done the Beaverdale Sauv Blanc and California White kits, and both were excellent.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Looks great Billy, hope your leg is better

I racked my JAOM the other day, I'm a bit worried because I had to top it up a fair bit with water, hope it isnt ruined, hope u enjoy yours

I'll try and get some pics of mine to show you, but I've been meaning to get batteries for my camera for about a month

Comment

i've only made one kit, a beaverdale shiraz, and i can recommend that for a try. I also did my only supermarket juice wine straight after the shiraz was done fermenting. i added the red grape juice (and the usual other stuff) to the sediment (mainly for the yeast and oak 'chips'). The result is a nice light fruity rose. After 4 months its a little sharp but only a little, and its still a nice drop of wine. A couple more months and i reckon it'll be just that little bit rounder enough to banish the sharpness i detect.

i enjoy the shiraz and its nice to have a little stock of a red wine as a result, but i enjoyed making the rose much more. Perhaps you might want to give it a try?
          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
          X