Elderberry Mead????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry Mead????

Has anyone ever made Elderberry mead?????

I've got quite a bit of honey and loved the Elderberry wine I made a from a couple of years ago and wondered if I could make a mead from them???

Just something "different" to try???

Jim.
    ex ovo omnia
    Chemist, welder, homebrewer

That would be a melomel then

....i would suggest fermenting to around 1.010 and then adding the fruit, this will maintain much more of the original fruit flavours and aromas.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I had similar thoughts too....

I wasn't too sure with Elderberries though, I'm planning on using dried and their flavour was very pronounced with the wine I did to me...

The alternative orange mead/melomel recipe I came up with seems a little bland for my palette, I'm in the process of introducing more orange juice to enhance the flavour...
      Maybe adding flavours later is a better option...

Needless to say all good experience, and information well learnt
      ex ovo omnia

Comment

Well couldn't make my mind up so went with chucking 500g dried elderberries in at the beginning...

Started with an original SG of ~1180, my hydrometer won't read any higher but it was pretty much bang on...
        I plan to use Gervin GV4/26 yeast...

Fingers crossed ...

I've put it all in a bucket with one teaspoon of campden powder and plenty of nutrients and acid, I'll post a recipe later...
        ex ovo omnia

Comment

Originally posted by Omniata View Post
          Well couldn't make my mind up so went with chucking 500g dried elderberries in at the beginning...

Started with an original SG of ~1180, my hydrometer won't read any higher but it was pretty much bang on...
          I plan to use Gervin GV4/26 yeast...

Fingers crossed ...

I've put it all in a bucket with one teaspoon of campden powder and plenty of nutrients and acid, I'll post a recipe later...
          Careful with the dried elderberries Jim, you can get a sort of dry or powdery/dusty taste if you use too much.

I'd guess that the slightly more overpowering taste that you can sometimes get from dried elderberry would hopefully be reduced by putting them into primary.

It depends on how you like your melomels etc, but I'd probably get as much out of the ferment as possible (aeration etc, and maybe some chaptalization...) to maximise %ABV levels, but then still backsweeten it to make it like an alcoholic cordial.......

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I think it'll be ok to be fair...

The orange melomel I spoke to you about being over "orangey" has mellowed almost to just a hint of orange and has a very light taste now...

I'm hoping the Elderberry does the same and I'm willing to wait to find out...
            It'll probably take a lot of ageing but will be worth it in my opinion...

On a side note I like wines with an "alcoholic cordial" consistency, don't hang me for it but in summer I add lemonade 50/50 for a more refreshing change...
            But then when I want a "good drink" I just have them as is, not to get drunk but I prefer very full bodied, very fruity wines...
            ex ovo omnia

Comment

Working...
            X