Ingredients storage.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingredients storage.............

I've found that Chenin Blanc grape concentrate makes for excellent back sweetening with traditional meads.

The problem is, that so far, the only way I've found that I can get it, is as a Kenridge kit. Which if fine, except that I don't really want to use it all at once, I'd like to be able to store some of it.

Can anyone suggest ways of storing some of the grape concentrate, so that it won't degrade/oxidise etc please ???

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Yes....

once you have removed the amount you want from the plastic bladder, simply squeeze to expel the air from the bladder, and pop the top back on and refrigerate it....no airspace = no oxidisation.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Yes....

once you have removed the amount you want from the plastic bladder, simply squeeze to expel the air from the bladder, and pop the top back on and refrigerate it....no airspace = no oxidisation.
      Oh, Ok.

I don't suppose you've any idea how long I might be able to get away with that do you Bob ???

Not thinking too long, but while I suspect that "they" would pack the juice with some sulphite of some sort, perhaps a crushed campden or two might help increase the life ???

regards

jtfb
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Or you could freeze it?

maybe in 250ml pet bottles
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Or you could freeze it?

maybe in 250ml pet bottles
          Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. When you open it, divide it up into many small pet bottle and freeze - then use as required.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

All wine kits have date codes on them. this is so brewers know when these kits are best before date is. Each manufacturer has it's own coding system. These dates are so a wine kit is not oxidized when you make it. The bladders in these kits transfer oxygen hence the kits oxidization over time. The more concentrated the juice in a kit the slower the process happens the longer the shelf life of the kit. Refrigeration slows this effect. I would think the bottles and freezing would be the preferred method.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
            X