Joam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joam

The last batch of tis I made was made with wine yeast. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as described (I gather the bread yeast selection leaves it sweet). The latest batch has just been racked and its bone dry (Vintners ma33 yeast).

What is the final gravity of the bread yeast type so I have a guideline to sweeten it too.

Thanks

Anyone?

Comment

If i remember right mine was about SG1020 or just slighty above when i bottled it,, very sweet..
      Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

You've discovered why you shouldn't really deviate from Joes original recipe billybuntus. It's not good as a dry mead.......

A search would have shown you that commercially made/available meads here in the UK are dessert meads mainly and exceptionally sweet - the 4 I did a mini test of a year or two ago, all of them were about the 1040 mark. Far too sweet for me.

I prefer mine at between 1010 and 1020 - if you use honey to sweeten it, you might get a haze, which will drop over time, but if you wanted the mead quicker then you'd have to fine it.......

Another problem is, that because of the likely alcohol level, even sweetening it might mean that it's still a bit "alcohol hot" to taste, and will need ageing.

Hence I'd say make a 1:1 honey water mix, then take a gravity and then add enough to sweeten by say, 5 points. Taste and see.

Then you can sweeten it to a level that you can manage.

Oh and maybe make another batch but follow the recipe exactly then you've got an idea of the "benchmark"....

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
          The last batch of tis I made was made with wine yeast. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as described (I gather the bread yeast selection leaves it sweet). The latest batch has just been racked and its bone dry (Vintners ma33 yeast).

What is the final gravity of the bread yeast type so I have a guideline to sweeten it too.

Thanks
          This will be a stronger brew, and hence 'hot' - try a bit more sweetness and perhaps some glycerin. I do tests in 10 ml samples - make the maths easier to scale up to 1 litre.
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Ok chaps sounds like around 1020 should do it.

The original recipe just goes against everything I know in wine making (using bread yeast) but I'll give it ago and have a comparison in 6 months or so :-)

Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
              Ok chaps sounds like around 1020 should do it.

The original recipe just goes against everything I know in wine making (using bread yeast) but I'll give it ago and have a comparison in 6 months or so :-)

Thanks for the input
              Mead making can often be a bit different....

But then again, JAO is different from some of the other meads as well......
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

An SG of 1040, that must be amazingly sweet!!
                Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

Originally posted by waggoner View Post
                  An SG of 1040, that must be amazingly sweet!!
                  Not if it's balanced out with the correct acidity, and tannin levels.

Comment

Working...
                  X