The ancient orange melomel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ancient orange melomel...

Silly question time but does this recipie do well in larger batches.....?
    Am thinking of a 5 gallon batch....

Originally posted by Trogolodyte View Post
    Silly question time but does this recipie do well in larger batches.....?
    Am thinking of a 5 gallon batch....
    Yes, just scale it up by a factor of 5.

Plus, normally, a yeast sachet would be enough for up to 5 gallons, but as it's using bread yeast, that often doesn't come in sachets, just make it 2 teaspoons of yeast (I used Allinsons last time as the US brand isn't available) and it should work out fine.

Don't get too fussed about the fruit being whole oranges and any possible pith bitterness, because I suspect, very much, that because it will finish sweet, that it's used to counteract the sweetness a bit, giving a sort of "orange marmalade" hint to it.

The only thing that I do urge you to do, is to follow the recipe religiously, as that way, it comes out good. Don't sub any of the ingredients (except the yeast, as Fleischmanns isn't available here of course). Plus that way, it's eminently, repeatable.

It may be that it's good straight out of the fermenter, it sometimes is, but if you can age it, it's brilliant IMO.

Oh and the darker and more stronger tasting the honey, the better.....

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Demi john of joe's ancient orang running away nicley now....

Comment

Working...
      X