Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and spice Mead recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jcnoren View Post

Has anyone actually had the oranges drop on their own???????

JC
    Yes, after about 6 weeks both oranges and rasins fell to the bottom before it cleared.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• me too
      But it took ages
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• So what would you guys do as it is clear as a bell, rack now or wait a while longer for the fruit to drop?

Comment

• I would give the d/j a gentle swirl, it is probably just trapped co2 in the fruit thats stopping it sinking, also check the sg if it's fermented out you had may as well rack and stabalise.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Well after making a gallon and following the recipe exactly, I now know that I dont like the taste of cloves.
            God alone knows how much more 'ukkk' it would have been if I had added 2 of the suckers.

If I ever make this again, it will definately be without the spices.
            I wish I was a glow worm
            Cos a glow worm's never glum
            It's hard to be unhappy
            When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
              Well after making a gallon and following the recipe exactly, I now know that I dont like the taste of cloves.
              God alone knows how much more 'ukkk' it would have been if I had added 2 of the suckers.

If I ever make this again, it will definately be without the spices.
              The first batch of it I tried, I over did the cloves and I do like a lot of spices.

But initially it did taste very suspect and I presumed I'd screwed up.

So I took my time honoured approach and racked it a couple of times and then just topped it off and chucked it under the stairs.

It must have been at least 6 months later that I thought I'd check through the stock and see how it was getting on - I was completely stunned by the change.

It had gone from being "too clovey" to being quite orangey, with only the faintest background hint of cloves. It reminded me of slightly weird sherry i.e. lots of body with a deep, rich, slightly sweet flavour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's possible to mess up, but that's one of the things that amazes me with mead, when they're "young", they can taste bleedin' awful.

Once they've had some time to age, more often than not, they've been very drinkable.

I've come to the conclusion that it's very easy to under estimate what ageing does for mead. I've yet to have one that's drinkable immediately it's finished being made.

so just top the DJ off, cork/stopper it and put it away somewhere and forget about it.

I'm convinced that it'll be fine with age.

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Well, I bottled my AO Mead tonight, started it on 29 April.

Just gave my husband a bit to try and his reaction was "Bl**dy Hell, you know you have drank that!".

It is drinkable but will need a while longer to mellow a bit. It def leaves a warm feeling on it's way down.

I do have another batch on the go but I think I will leave that one until the fruit drops.

May go and buy a lime tomorrow and try one with that.

Comment

• What is the length of time this can be kept for once bottled?

Comment

• Mead will keep for years if properly stored, it's keeping properties are better than that of wine, and it needs longer to be "good"

regards
                    bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      Mead will keep for years if properly stored, it's keeping properties are better than that of wine, and it needs longer to be "good"

regards
                      bob
                      That's great, thanks Bob.

Comment

• Well, I had a bit of AO left over which was at the bottom of the dj so I transf to a jam jar and let it settle.

So I did a little expriment, I put it in the fridge to chill, poured about a spirit sized measure into a whisky tumbler and added chilled tonic water.

Well, I tasted it and new it reminded me of something but couldn't remember what and it was really bugging me.

Anyway, I have just realised what it was (as it is quite a long time since I drank any), it was Cinzano!

Anyone else tried it with mixers?

Comment

• First batch on the go, using bread yeast. 16 hours in and only about 5 bubbles a minute. I hate it when that happens - I post something like 'it's slow to start' and Bob replies 'leave it alone', and he's always right
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• OK, 30 hours in, and still bubbling at much the same rate (i.e. not much). Any suggestions? Recipe was followed to the letter.
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• It's bubbling.. That may be just how your bread yeast works.

Give it a while then recheck your SG, You should see it's dropping.

But, I'd leave it alone as per the instructions.

Comment

• yes

very little intervention is ever required with this mead

patience young Jedi
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X