• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See? I KNEW you'd say that
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Well...

you could add some nutrient if it made you feel better....just be careful and put the dj in the sink, as anything added to a fermenting must will cause foaming, and sometimes it can be excessive, so if you plan to do it, put DJ in sink and remove some must first...as this will happen
      Attached Files
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Well, I did add some, just to prove Bob right. Again.

Took half a litre of must out, popped in a tsp of nutrient and dived, in the style of John Cleese in the Monty Python 'Mr. Creosote' sketch, behind the settee and waited for the explosion. It never came

It has perked it up a bit, and it's ticking along in a most civilised manner at the rate of about 10 bubbles a minute.

I will now shut up and do what was suggested on page one - forget about it for a while
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• my JMO batchs always seemed to work out and never seemed to ever be as visually active as I would like.... as you say... forget about it for a while.

JC

Comment

• Ok, just been out and bought the ingrediants for this mead but I couldn't find cinnemon sticks so I bought ground cinnemon instead... how much should I put in?

Comment

• There is quite a bit about adding stuff to mead here but no referance to using ground cinnemon.

Meads Proportion of ingredients -- Spices, fruits, herbs, flower petals etc. HOW MUCH FRUIT TO USE? Some say Fresh Fruit is the way to go? I purchase the best fresh fruit that I can afford and find and then I clean, remove pips and blemishes slice label and freeze in zip lock bags. It enables me to purchase fruit at the

The Schwartz cinnemon sticks I got were from Tesco and came in a jar (same as other spices). Using powder may release more aroma and flavour much faster than using a stick, I would hang on and get some sticks.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrillMonkey View Post
                Ok, just been out and bought the ingrediants for this mead but I couldn't find cinnemon sticks so I bought ground cinnemon instead... how much should I put in?
                Sigh... I've got spare cinnamon sticks, if you want to PM me your address, I'll post some to you... after all, we can't have an empty DJ burnign a hole in your worktop now can we?
                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                  Sigh... I've got spare cinnamon sticks, if you want to PM me your address, I'll post some to you... after all, we can't have an empty DJ burnign a hole in your worktop now can we?
                  No we can't but I'll be ok finding some. It'd cost the same in postage as it would to but some new. Thanks for the offer tho

Comment

• No problem, always happy to help a fellow wino...
                    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Ok, couldn't be bothered to nip down to Morrison's for cinnamon sticks so I decided that one stick would equate to roughly a quater tsp of ground cinnamon and so I dumped in that amount. I'll let you all know how it turns out with that substitution. Also I used desert yeast rather than grandma's old bread yeast

Comment

• Originally posted by GrillMonkey View Post
                        Also I used desert yeast rather than grandma's old bread yeast
                        then you will need to stabilise it after ferment and sweeten it, it doesnt taste very good dry.

regards
                        bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• That's fine. I want to ferment to dry so I can blend it with this one...

I've made mead using the "A simple mead tutorial step by step - It ain't hard!" recipe but I used an AP yeast and it's died, I believe, due to not have enough alcohol tollerance. This has left me with a mean that is showing a gravity of 1.021 which is far too sweet for me. What's my best way forward? I was

Comment

• Result!
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Well I started my 2nd batch of this on 30th May, checked yesterday and all of the fruit bar a couple of raisins have dropped!

Didn't think I was that patient.

Comment

• I knew patience would come to you, you just had to wait.....
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X