No announcement yet.

Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and spice Mead recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been one month, it's clearing nicely, raisins are sinking, and I just have a couple of questions for anyone who has made JAOM before

How much did you get out of a gallon bottle after racking, without sucking up sediment?

and did you degas before bottling?

Thanks

Comment

• I ended up with 6 bottles but I topped it up with white wine after racking. Treat this as any other wine, it's the same process which includes degassing.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Ok i'll do that, cheers Richard

Comment

• After 3 months, my JOM cleared BUT I still had my fruit on top. So I degassed, the oranges dropped and had to wait a few days for it to clear again so I could bottle. I too got around 6, 750ml bottles.

Comment

• I had forgotten that I had a gallon of this stuff that was ready to be bottled.

I started it on the 30th May 2008 so it has been sitting for 18 months ready to be bottled.

We christened it tonight and it is a lot smoother than it was when we made our first gallon (this is only the 2nd one to be made), which we drank a few weeks after it had cleared. The first gallon tasted a lot of orange and was quite warm when drinking, this one is a lot more mellow but still leaves a warmth.

It may be sacrilege but I am sitting drinking a glass mixed with tonic water and it tastes a lot like Cinzano (not one of the best drinks in the world but would be ok as a summer drink).

Comment

• Originally posted by sb44 View Post
              I had forgotten that I had a gallon of this stuff that was ready to be bottled.

I started it on the 30th May 2008 so it has been sitting for 18 months ready to be bottled.

We christened it tonight and it is a lot smoother than it was when we made our first gallon (this is only the 2nd one to be made), which we drank a few weeks after it had cleared. The first gallon tasted a lot of orange and was quite warm when drinking, this one is a lot more mellow but still leaves a warmth.

It may be sacrilege but I am sitting drinking a glass mixed with tonic water and it tastes a lot like Cinzano (not one of the best drinks in the world but would be ok as a summer drink).
              Well your description is very good. It's quite hard to explain the changes in meads that are wrought purely by time.

It's one of the reasons why I like making them. You have the enjoyment of watching them ferment etc, while trying to guess how it might turn out.

Then once it's clear etc, I just leave mine under the stairs to age in bulk. The amazing thing being that they always develop completely differently than you'd expect.

JAO is a good example of that. I've got a couple of gallons that have been there for about 2 years now and your description has made me think about trying a tiny sample (don't want to break a gallon yet if it's not ready)......

regards

jtfb
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• I will have to get some more honey in and start another batch.

I know that some people put in a lemon or limes so may have to get some tips on how to make it that way.

Comment

• Couldn't resist any longer!

Hi there!

I've introduced myself in the New Members Area - but forgive me for the duplication here: in the words of Doctor Nick in the Simpsons "Hello Everybody"!

So then, i'm finally back home after finishing night shifts last night / this morning and couldn't wait any longer: i've gone ahead with this mead business and followed the original recipe to the letter and it already smells fantastic. Thanks to Owl Senior for lending me the use of an empty demijohn, its now sitting, watching me, in the corner of the room. Got a starting gravity of 1095, so should be quite promising. I've used bread yeast. Should i be racking (in 2 months or so!) and looking at an OG of around 1010? Any thoughts appreciated. Being part Jedi-Owl, i posses a little bit of patience, so might even think about letting it sit for 6 months or so, chill it down and use it as a nice "quaffing" drink for the summer!

I've taken the liberty of protecting the floor by putting the demi in a bucket, just in case this stuff decides to go mental and Owl Senior decides to tear my remaining feathers off!

All the best - and thanks to those on the site who have already warmly welcomed me: you have such a fantastic forum!

Owlwithoutfeathers.
                  A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

• Welcome welcome welcome

I love this recipe, it just smells and tastes of christmas!

the theory is you should leave it till the fruit drops to the bottom of the DJ before racking, but i always get a bit wary when the fruit looks skanky and bottle out at that point and rack it.

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Cheers Bob,

So after two months, with skanky fruit i'll consider reracking. What gravity should i be aiming at? I'm presuming the bread yeast i used (allinson easy bake yeast) wont ferment out to dry, so would 1010 be reasonable?

24 hours in, its looking great: bubbles out of the airlock every 3.5 seconds. Yes, i did count. Yes, i'm that sad!

Owl

Comment

• Mine went to 1.006. I have seen a wide range of finishing values, so I think it is a bit hit-and-miss with the bread yeast.

I'd just wait until you think it has finished, check SG, wait a week, check SG again. If there is no change, it's done.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                          Mine went to 1.006. I have seen a wide range of finishing values, so I think it is a bit hit-and-miss with the bread yeast.

I'd just wait until you think it has finished, check SG, wait a week, check SG again. If there is no change, it's done.
                          Okay folks, an update on the AOM. No visible sign of activity on mine, so i checked SG - came out at 1.010. Tastes of thin dilute cordial with a bit of back heat (like ginger beer?!). Even though its only 5 weeks in, i'm considering racking it tomorrow into a clean demi and leaving it under safety airlock to clear and finish off. Since starting the fermentation, i had a heater jacket over it, so this may explain why its fermented out quicker than the usual 2 months? Fruit hasnt dropped mind you.

Owl.

Comment

• I racked mine off just before Christmas, and it's still cloudy. Should I leave it to clear on it's own, or add finings? And can you filter mead if necessary?

Comment

• It should clear on its own given time, but add finings if you wish....

and filtering is fine, its just honey wine after all
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Well I started another batch of this today, its a firm favourite and always reminds me of christmas when I drink it.
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X