No announcement yet.

Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and spice Mead recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine seems to be a little slower, has been over 8 weeks since it started now, but it is still bubbling regularly. I used Allinsons yeast. Raisins and cloves starting to drop but not the oranges yet.
    Did you rack it when the oranges dropped? I imagine the oranges take up quite a bit of space - is it ok just to top the demijohn up with water when it is racked, or would it be better to use marbles to top up the volume?

Comment

• topping up with water is ok as long as it isnt too much (a cupful is fine) if it is more than that make up a sugar syrup to SG 1.080 and top up with that (do it slowly, and put the DJ in the sink as it may foam a little.)

Each ferment has a life of its own, and the time taken varies depending on many variables. Temp, must composition, health of yeasties, nutrient levels. If yours is taking a little longer, dont worry about it, it just gives you more airlock bloop bloop watching fun!

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I've not racked it, I'm going to leave it till clear then rack and bottle (save wondering about topping up, etc)
        Thought I would follow the recipe on this first one then if I think it needs tweaking I can do it on the next

Comment

• Got one on the go just now. Doing it in a dark DJ till I can find my roll of mylar and get it wrapped up and hidden (Bought it for photography but got bored before I used it).

Smells lush but the missus is a bit miffed since she doesn't like oranges and [PUTS ON VERY SERIOUS FACE] "I totally and completely and honestly forgot that she doesn't like Oranges, but it will be okay as I will be happy to get rid of the mead once it is fermented"
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

• Hmm... I've got a week off work now so I was thinking of getting a few brews on. Just found this recipe and I thought it would be good to try

That way, I'll have a wine (fruit cocktail), a cider (strawberry kit) and a mead (this one) all on the go so I will be seeing a wide range of processes.

What %age does this mead turn out to be as made with bread yeast? Also, are there any essential mods to the original recipe I should be doing? I've not read through all the pages but I will tonight!

I also wondered where I can get honey cheapest? Aldi? Lidl?

Kevin

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              Hmm... I've got a week off work now so I was thinking of getting a few brews on. Just found this recipe and I thought it would be good to try

That way, I'll have a wine (fruit cocktail), a cider (strawberry kit) and a mead (this one) all on the go so I will be seeing a wide range of processes.

What %age does this mead turn out to be as made with bread yeast? Also, are there any essential mods to the original recipe I should be doing? I've not read through all the pages but I will tonight!

I also wondered where I can get honey cheapest? Aldi? Lidl?

Kevin
              It's a little hard to call. The problem is that you can only get an approximate % ABV, because the mix of honey/water, but that's negated a little as there's sugar in the orange and in the raisins.

The whole point of using bread yeast is that it doesn't have the alcohol tolerance of a wine yeast - so you end up with some residual sugar.

It's meant to be sweet, and easy to make. The idea being that you'll like it and learn about and make more meads.

This particular one doesn't really taste good if you meddle with it i.e. using wine yeast etc. So I'd say just get as close as possible to working out the % ABV by taking a measurement before you mix in the yeast and then leave it to do it's thing and then re-measure when it's cleared and the fruit has dropped.

Honey prices vary - where is the cheapest ? Erm, how about Poland........

Nah, seriously, if it were later in the year I'd say look around for a local bee keeper and ask.

I used to find BOGOF offers in the local Somerfield. So I'd just suggest using a calculator and check out the local supermarkets. Blended stuff is generally fine. Just work out the cost per 100 grammes and don't forget that if it's in 340gm jars it's usually dearer than if it's in 1lb/454g jars. If you have a local honey dealer/wholesaler then buying in larger quantities is invariably cheaper.

Oh and the spices, take heed of not over doing the cloves. They're surprisingly powerful. Plus it seems that a greater amount of flavour is extracted with the alcohol that's produced. So seriously, stick to the recipe religiously and you should have a result that you can be proud of and tastes good.

Don't worry, if like Koomber, you have a relative/family member who doesn't like oranges. It's only 1 and it doesn't come out particularly "orangey".

regards

jtfb

p.s. Oh and if you read around the bazaars, you might come across reports that you can ferment it dry with bread yeast - that's possible but somewhat unlikely.....
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                Don't worry, if like Koomber, you have a relative/family member who doesn't like oranges. It's only 1 and it doesn't come out particularly "orangey".
                Shhhhhh. The missus might hear you.

I got my honey in Lidls. it was ever so slightly cheaper than Aldi.
                Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                -Police Squad

Comment

• Originally posted by koomber View Post
                  Shhhhhh. The missus might hear you.

I got my honey in Lidls. it was ever so slightly cheaper than Aldi.
                  Yeah, I get some there as well, though the local honey bloke has a vastly better range, though not as good as some of the honey wholesalers in the US - though to get some from there would mean that including shipping, to make it about £4.50 per lb, I'd have to ship 5 gallons/60lb a time.

Ha! still, it'd definitely be "dit value" to make a batch of traditional "killer bee honey" mead

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• I went for ASDA Smartprice honey in the end... 80p for 425g. Let's hope it tastes ok!

Kevin

Comment

• OK, so I started this off two days ago. Did two batches - one with orange, and one with lemon and lime.

I used Allinsons yeast and it is fermenting but only a bubble every 30secs or so. Given the beginning instructions, I assumed it would go mad but it's not.

So, is everything ok with this?!

Kevin

Comment

• What temperature is the must?

Did you use any yeast nutrient? I know the recipe doesn't call for nutrient, but I reckon a little won't hurt. Honey is low in the nutrients the yeast need.

Give it a really good stir (splash it) go get some oxygen in there, and keep the must in the range 20 - 22c until it gets going properly.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Well atm it's in a room where the airing cupboard is which is quite warm. Will measure the temp in there in a bit...

Should I just add a Vit B1 tab to each and give it a stir with my spoon? Or do I really need to shake it up?

Also, I use VWP for sterilisation. Is it ok for me to make up a solution and put into a spray bottle to sterilise the odd spoons etc. rather than making some up everytime? Will it keep indefinitely?

Kevin

Comment

Also, I use VWP for sterilisation. Is it ok for me to make up a solution and put into a spray bottle to sterilise the odd spoons etc. rather than making some up everytime? Will it keep indefinitely?

Kevin
                            A VWP solution wont keep.....

make up a 10% sulphite solution instead, it will do the job, and wont need as much rinsing

regards
                            bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thanks bob.

How do i do that? lol

Comment

I used Allinsons yeast and it is fermenting but only a bubble every 30secs or so. Given the beginning instructions, I assumed it would go mad but it's not.

So, is everything ok with this?!

what is the SG?

is it dropping?

are you observing active fermentation in the must (not at the airlock)

push the bung in to make sure it is tight, the CO2 could be escaping at the edges.

A fall in SG is the best indicator of active fermentation.

but its only a couple of days in, i wouldn't be worrying too much at this stage

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X