Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indeed it will
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• That was quick! Thanks Bob. I'm off to put the yeast in.

Comment

• Whatever you do, keep a couple of bottles for at least two years. Although it is a relatively early-drinking mead, my 3 year version has improved a lot.
        Last edited by goldseal; 18-06-2011, 07:59 AM. Reason: Spellig
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I've tried making other Meads in the past but none have turned out very appetising. I'll give this one a go at some point soon.
          Feel the Zin

Comment

• Is Hovis yeast OK? You know the stuff six sachet in a box?

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Yup!
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                Is Hovis yeast OK? You know the stuff six sachet in a box?

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco..._pack_42g.html
                Here's one for you Brian.

In a recent discussion/thread over at Gotmead, about this very recipe, Oskaar alluded to a point that I'd missed. He was of the opinion that the great man himself would be of the opinion, that any change, however small, would actually be "voiding the warranty".

That included changing the bread yeast from the original Fleischmann's brand bread yeast.

Of course, it's a US brand, and despite Oskaars comment, I've never had any problem changing it to a local one, though I usually use "normal" bread yeast, not the so called "fast acting" stuff. I've made about half a dozen batches and they always turned out fine to my taste.

But there's another point I've raised (no pun intended ) and that is the one of the actual volume measures. I automatically make it to "1 gallon", but naturally, that is an imperial gallon a.k.a. 4.55 litres, rather than, what I suspect is the original volume measure in the recipe of 1 US gallon a.k.a. 3.78 litres.

Which would, effectively, make batches made "across the pond" a percentage sweeter.

I find all my batches taste fine, but I'm hoping to try some later on this year, made with a blood orange. I might even ask "Mad Keith" (banned from here), if he could track me down some of the Fleischmann's yeast to try.

Obviously, I don't know how big the differences are, but thought them worthy of mention.

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by dpile1 View Post
                  I've tried making other Meads in the past but none have turned out very appetising. I'll give this one a go at some point soon.
                  Meads are only as appetising as you make them. There's a couple of adages that do seem to "ring true", that it's all about the quality of the honey, with the second one being about a matter of which yeast is used.

Of course, technique/method is also important, as that also varies the quality of the product.

I've made meads with a number of varietal honies, some have turned out well, others less so.

This years project is to obtain some raw, completely unprocessed honey and try that. I'll probably be using either D21 (the closest to Brother Adams fabled "Maury" yeast) or K1V-1116 (which is the same strain as Gervin Varietal "E", which is what he changed to once the Maury yeast became unavailable - according to the apiaries manager down at Buckfast Abbey).

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Eek I also have some gallon (uk) demijohns and some 5 l ones - ooeeer.

Another variation of course is the taste buds on the other side of the pond

I am trying not to change AT ALL the original recipe, when I could not find Fleischmann's I have to confess to thinking about kv1-1116 yeast - but thought that might change the dryness/sweetness balance due to it higher alcohol tolerance. Indeed for a sweet finish a bread yeast would be a positive benefit.

I am guessing refined sugar has about 1.5 times more fermentable sugar than honey. What is a typical end % ?
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      Eek I also have some gallon (uk) demijohns and some 5 l ones - ooeeer.

Another variation of course is the taste buds on the other side of the pond
                      Are you inferring that some of "them", might be "larger than the average bear"
                      I am trying not to change AT ALL the original recipe, when I could not find Fleischmann's I have to confess to thinking about kv1-1116 yeast - but thought that might change the dryness/sweetness balance due to it higher alcohol tolerance. Indeed for a sweet finish a bread yeast would be a positive benefit.

I am guessing refined sugar has about 1.5 times more fermentable sugar than honey. What is a typical end % ?
                      One thing I wouldn't suggest, is using wine yeast. That takes it dry and it's not a nice recipe dry - even when it's been aged some. I'd guess that's more about pithy bitterness not having any sweetness to balance it (not forgetting the spices and dry tastes....)

I've read that some feel that they've got it up to about the 12% ABV region, though it's difficult to tell, as it's easy enough to get a gravity reading from the honey/water part, but give the whole orange, and even the raisins, any calculation would only be a rough "guesstimate" wouldn't it.

I've never bothered to actually try and take a reading, but I think I might do next time.

As for the volumes, well there was someone at gotmead who is somewhere in Belgium I think it was, who had 5 litre DJ's and he went out of his way to calculate the exact ratio of honey needed for the larger jar, but ended up making it "exact" to the original quantities.

So I'd guess it's up to you really. If you're happy with how it comes out the way you make it, then that's great.

My experimental batches, of different fruit, wine yeast, etc etc, the only one that came out will was one with lemon, instead of orange. I certainly can't recommend using lime......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• This is a *great* brew; once aged significantly!

Hi All,

Back to the forum after a four year absence.

Just to say this was my first mead, and it took a couple of years to make it to a fine drink, but my, my, if you can keep your hands off trying it for a couple of years, it's simply fantastic!

For me, FWIW, it 'turned' from unacceptable to simply beautiful, around year 2-3.

Like all good brews, I'm now wishing I'd brewed a much bigger batch first time out!

Go on newbies; give it a try! If nothing else, the revolving (for months!) oranges are a sight to behold! <g>

Tulaberry!
                        PS ... Only one bottle left!
                        Last edited by tulaberry; 18-07-2011, 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling mistake!

Comment

• Well, I knocked up a batch about 2 weeks ago (a 2 imp gallon batch). The yeast used was just the cheap bread yeast from the local coop (gud, with fud.....etc). Took a reading before hitting it with the yeast, and it came out at 1.120 and two weeks along, it's at 1.040 - so that 80 point drop represents about 10.5% ABV so now it's gonna just stay "as is" until the fruit has dropped.

Personally, I'd disagree with tulaberry's comment about the time it takes to age. Yes, I agree that it's not brilliant when young, or at least I don't consider it drinkable as soon as it's clear and the fruits dropped, but it seems to be between 6 months and a year to age it enough to be good.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Well a bit later than planned, but this is gonna get started now - just had 9lb+ of honey turn up Happy Days

Comment

• So it has been 3 weeks since I started brewing this and already the mead looks fairly clear and a couple of orange pieces have started sinking to the bottom. I am fairly new to home brewing and am worried that if it is done and I leave it in the carboy it will get sulphur tasting because of the yeast cannibalism. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by stukeeper View Post
                                So it has been 3 weeks since I started brewing this and already the mead looks fairly clear and a couple of orange pieces have started sinking to the bottom. I am fairly new to home brewing and am worried that if it is done and I leave it in the carboy it will get sulphur tasting because of the yeast cannibalism. Any ideas? Thanks
                                One of the methods of nourishing yeast is to give them boiled or microwaved bread yeast.

References you might read about, with brews producing H2S/rotten egg smell is usually specific to yeasts that are known to produce perceptible levels of sulphurous compounds when under nourished.

One of the reasons I stick to using lalvin yeasts, because they're known strains and they publish better data than any other maker.... sure if you're making meads you have to read between the lines a bit as the data is mainly extrapolated from grape musts, but there's enough info to point you in the right direction....

So don't worry. As long as you've basically stuck to the recipe you'll be fine with the time span of the recipe i.e. from start to finish (clear and fruit dropped) of about 3 months is not a problem.

A tip you may find useful is that once you're happy its finished, move the fermenter to where you're gonna conduct the racking, the day before, then still be very, very careful. It can be a complete f****r and will come back into suspension if it thinks you've looked at it funny....

Some say its worth cold crashing it first, some say its worth hitting it with some bentonite to fine it. Personally I just move the DJ but then rack it the day later but being careful and only racking the clear section. Then the last of the liquid non-sediment bit is racked into the bottom half of a pop bottle and covered with clingers.... in the fridge.

The next day you can usually rack the cleared bit as any sediment you picked up should have sunk into the molded feet of the pop bottle base (I've also come to reinforce the top edge of the cut pop bottle with some tape so it can be moved easily and not disturb the little bit of lees.

Its the only thing with JAO, bread yeast doesn't flocculate well......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                                X