Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and spice Mead recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stukeeper View Post
    So it has been 3 weeks since I started brewing this and already the mead looks fairly clear and a couple of orange pieces have started sinking to the bottom. I am fairly new to home brewing and am worried that if it is done and I leave it in the carboy it will get sulphur tasting because of the yeast cannibalism. Any ideas? Thanks
    This is a brilliant recipe. Worry not I left one for about 6 months and it was super. This really is lob in and forget.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Hi all and thanks to everyone here,tried my hand at this over 20 years ago and while cleaning out my cellar a few weeks ago I came across a bunch of demijohns I had forgotten about, some still with gunk in so I thought "why not?" and now have 3 on the go. No.1 a wine 9 days ago (Wine number 1 Dry Table wine) was just messing about before so said I would start right this time seems to be going well, No.2 a turbo cider 8 days ago bubbling away like mad, No.3 is Joe's mead 2 days ago and here is where I (might) have a problem I followed to the letter using a lemon instead of an orange my personal taste and used Young's general purpose wine yeast because it was all that was available to me. I am getting a bubble every 10 sec or so. Any suggestions?? Temp is 23 and just for curiosity I started a small bit of yeast in a bottle and added a little must and it went crazy. IMAG0574_BURST002.jpgIMAG0575.jpg

Comment

• I would add it back, the starter in the bottle.

On another note, and before you get there, I would expect this to come out quite differently because of the changes you have made.
        A lemon has more citric acid content than an orange and does not impart a Orangey Middle note.
        The wine yeast will finish this to dry, where a bread yeast will run out of steam and leave a bit of the sugar unfermented.

It is not a problem but be aware (in other words expect) this to be a little bit sharper and a lot drier than you might expect. But panic not it is easily back sweetened which will mask the dryness.

..... I have changed my mind. There is an alternative solution.

You have an opportunity to go back to the original recipe. Take out the lemon and replace it with orange, and restart this with a bread yeast.

Dunno the choice is yours.

Having done this a few times would not do it on a wine yeast. (I have and it didn't work as well)

PS: My inner Yorkshireman likes this because bread yeast is a lot cheaper than wine yeast - for 99p you get eight sachets of interest instant bread yeast or one sachet wine yeast.
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry069 View Post
          I am getting a bubble every 10 sec or so.
          I wouldn't track it by the amount of bubbles...

are you sure the bung is seated firmly so that air isn't escaping?

take the bung out and listen to hear if it is fizzing, better still, track its progress using a hydrometer

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• ..... I have changed my mind. There is an alternative solution.

you have an opportunity to go back to the original recipe. Take out the lemon and replace it with orange, and restart this with a bread yeast.

Dunno the choice is yours.

Having done this a few times would not do it on a wine yeast. (I have and it didn't work as well)

PS: My inner Yorkshireman likes this because bread yeast is a lot cheaper than wine yeast - for 99p you get eight sachets of interest instant bread yeast or one sashay wine yeast.[/QUOTE]
            Thank you for the quick reply
            I think I will go with this idea, first thing tomorrow I will head to the nearest big town to get some bread yeast...Oh and an orange

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              I wouldn't track it by the amount of bubbles...

are you sure the bung is seated firmly so that air isn't escaping?

take the bung out and listen to hear if it is fizzing, better still, track its progress using a hydrometer

regards
              Bob
              Thank you for the quick reply
              Bung well seated and no fizzing sound so I guess its time to restart it and go back to the original, On another note your No.1 wine is behaving very well all done as per your instructions.

Comment

• I think you will be pleased - this mead comes up v nice.
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• IMAG0578.jpg

All good again going to bung it in a press in the morning and forget about it until October.

Comment

• Nooooooo !!

It really doesn't need it - I think it might be detrimental and you will have to wash the press.

Are we following the same recipe The recipe I use is the very first post in this thread on page 1.
                    Very very very simple follow it to the letter! Its lob in and forget. Drink when clear.

Leaving it till October is a great idea - just remember to top it up!
                    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      Nooooooo !!

It really doesn't need it - I think it might be detrimental and you will have to wash the press.

Are we following the same recipe The recipe I use is the very first post in this thread on page 1.
                      Very very very simple follow it to the letter! Its lob in and forget. Drink when clear.

Leaving it till October is a great idea - just remember to top it up!
                      Sorry Brian should have explained, did as you suggested slung the lemon added an orange and Tesco finest yeast.
                      Gerry.

Comment

• bung it in a press
                        is what got me concerned :-)

Comment

• :-) Your right that would not be a great idea so I think I will leave it in the demijohn for the time being. Here it is all ready to go bubbling away like crazy since I topped it up

IMAG0587_BURST002.jpg

Another question, how important is it to have your fermentation done in the dark?

Gerry.

Comment

• That made me think for a moment.

Dark generally equals cooler and constant temperatures, which are better for fermentation.
                            Sunlight also has a bleaching effect ( this can be quite dramatic when shown in comparison)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                              That made me think for a moment.

Dark generally equals cooler and constant temperatures, which are better for fermentation.
                              Sunlight also has a bleaching effect ( this can be quite dramatic when shown in comparison)
                              Great stuff Brian, I had looked and while everyone said to put it in the dark no one gave a reason. So other than the bleaching effect there is no reason not to have it in the light as long as the temp is pretty constant? Which leads to another question, what in your opinion is an ideal temp? ( Well you did say to ask questions)
                              Thanks in advance,
                              Gerry

Comment

• I can't think of another reason for dark.
                                20° C is good. Between 17-23 would be a good range. At 17° C & below it will start to slow down ( it will still finish but just take longer) at 23° C and above you will start to get off flavours.

Comment

Working...
                                X