Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and spice Mead recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No

But I have promised myself I will .......next time!
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Started 2 Gallon of this Mead at the weekend, the first gallon as the recipe reads,

The second gallon i made by replacing the oranges with lemons and limes and everything else remaining the same. Hope it'll work ok, i decided to be brave and try something a little different, any thoughts on using the lemons and limes would be appreciated as i don't feel so brave anymore.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

They are citrus fruit just the same, should be just fine.....
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And limes taste soooo nice Good luck with it Axl and let us know how it gets on.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Thanks, these are by far the best looking fermenting wines i have ever started, and with me being a stubborn QUACK!QUACK!QUACK! ill try leaving them until the fruit drops.

I have one question though, the fruit will contain a certain amount of natural sugar, so will the starting SG not be that accurate as the fruit may slow release the sugar during the ferment, giving a slight higher abv when finished?

Comment

Originally posted by Axl
              I have one question though, the fruit will contain a certain amount of natural sugar, so will the starting SG not be that accurate as the fruit may slow release the sugar during the ferment, giving a slight higher abv when finished?
              Almost............................it will be slightly higher when starting.....

I have a list somewhere of the sugar and acid content of various fruits.

will dig it out
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

here you go

http://www.lockwoodrecording.net/sugarandacid.pdf
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Should i push the fruit down into the liquid, i'm a little unsure if the fruit will go off/bad being exposed in the top of the demijohn.

Comment

Nah!
                      it will be fine whilst ferment in progress, its surrounded by CO2

I took the fruit out of mine when it started to look skanky (about 8 weeks)
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I'll say there is C02!!!

I was bound and determined to wait until my fruit fell....well after 3 months the mead had cleared but the fruit was still on top. At the suggestion of a member at a wine site I used my vacuum on it. C02 abounds!!! The vacuum stirred up the sediment but by the end of the day after using the vacuum on it...the fruit fell...finally. Waited a week for my mead to reclear then bottled.

The C02 held up the fruit as well as surrounded it.

JC

Comment

I know I am being picky, and I'm sure this recipe tastes great, but how "traditional" is a mead with citrus fruits in?

Meads were most common in northern Europe where citrus fruits won't grow and imports would have been exceedingly expensive.
                          I make mead without citric acid and it turns out fine

Comment

I think Technically it's a Melomel

the recipe is traditional but not traditional British mead, it's from Israel, where Citrus fruits abound, courtesy of Miriam a member of winepress.us who resides in Israel, so.....very traditional

it really is very good

and happy first post to you

regards
                            Bob
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-04-2006, 05:56 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

In for a penny!

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you all know this recipe has finally got me by the short and curlies too - I started it about an hour ago!!

I decided to go in for the nutmeg and all spice additionals too, so here's hoping this will turn out to be a killer mead to get me interested in doing more. I put two cloves in in a moment of madness, but hope they are not going to over-power the rest of the goodies .... If anyone thinks so, let me know ASAP, and I'll go fishing for one of them and take it out!

I must admit to a fond liking for cyser, even though I've never tried it yet, but it seems a turbo cider used as a base would be lovely jubbly! I might, therefore, give a cyser a go just as soon as another DJ gets freed up!!

I've also started another two kits tonight; one peach wine, another black cherry! ..... I've added some grape juice to each kit, as I did for my plum wine (which tasted FANTASTIC tonight!) .....

I've also bottled my 4.5 gallon turbo cider tonight! ..... All in all, a 12 hour brew session, what, with one thing and another! .... Never mind; now I can finally relax, with over 80 pints on tap ... And have a home-brew!!!

Brewnut

Comment

Wow brewnut you have it bad!

lol
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X