Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOOPS!
    sorry one more question,
    do you think it will be ok to add a chopped up lemon in aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by hong View Post
      I am finally gonna make a gallon of this famous mead. Only a couple of questions.

1. How much water do you warm the honey up in?

2. How far do you fill up the DJ?

cheers for any help?
      what i did was put a funnel into the dj then poured the honey from the jar into the funnel and when the majority of honey was out of the jar i filled it with hot water from the tap put the lid on give it a good shake then pour that through the funnel this cleaned the funnel of honey then repeat with the other jars.
      then when id added the extra ingredients i topped with cold water to about 2 inch below the neck.
      as for adding lemons why not use them instead of oranges rather aswell as
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Hong,

Try one with the oranges as the recipe say's, and also i tried one by replacing the oranges with lemons and limes it's as good if not better.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

Well i started my first batch of mead today. I just went with exactly as the recipe says, i might do another during the weekend, but this time use a lime & lemon. Fingers crossed all went ok!

Comment

What is the best yeast to use for this recipe?

Comment

hong,

I used a GP Yeast for this, worked well, dipped the straw in a few night's ago, awesome taste!

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

i also used a gp yeast but after tasting and compared to the one bob made i think a bread yeast would be better ,the gp yest has taken it to really dry where as i think the bread yeast would have left residual sweetness and might not need aging as long.
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

day 11 and still bubbling on - wierd.

Comment

Do you have to stabalise mead like wine? Its just i have never seen it mentioned before.

Comment

Originally posted by hong View Post
                      Do you have to stabalise mead like wine? Its just i have never seen it mentioned before.
                      I have wondered that myself, however the mead I made last year (I have one small bottle left....so far without stablizing seems just fine.

JC

Comment

dont know if you should but i did if thats any help
                        mark
                        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

PM questions

Originally posted by hong
                          1. are you supposed to stabalise like a wine? have never seen it mentioned before thats all.
                          You don't need to stabilise it as it doesnt spoil like wine does, I just left minw as is....if you plan on aging it for years...add a campden tablet otherwise just drink it.

2. how long before you can actually drink it?
                          24 Hours....but it gets better with age...it's fab at christmas

3. what type of bottles would you recommend to use?
                          Beer bottles seem to be the meadmakers choice...although I bottle mine in 1/2 wine bottles as drinking a full bottle results in a major headache.

P.S. I posted this on here hope you dont mind hong...it may help others
                          cheers
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thats great, cheers Bob.

Comment

I`ve just had a little taste of my mead and it tastes nice but quite dry, not as sweet as i hoped for. I did use a GP yeast and not a bread yeast though, thats probably why. If i wanted to sweeten it up a little what is the best way? Sugared water? Honey? If sugared water, how much sugar to how much water would anyone recommend?
                              cheers guys

Comment

Personally I would use honey (the origional ingredient) but be sure to stabilise it first.

you could of course use the wine sweetener available at home brew stores, this wont referment.

how much to use depends on your taste buds, add a little at a time till you achieve the result you like.

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X