Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a newbie here

Hello,

My name is Ray, from the Dallas, Texas area. I'm a fire-fighter and I enjoy making country wine.

I must say, that it is nice to find a place to come and read about the experiences of other wine makers.

By the by; my lovely wife's maiden name is Lockwood

Peace to all,

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray and welcome to the forum. A guy in your line of work will come in handy to put the fires out when I get flamed.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Thanks for the encouragement. I have been going back and forth deciding on 1 gal., or 5 gal. starter kit; I believe your advice of the 1 gal. would be far less intimidating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Likus View Post
          Thanks for the encouragement. I have been going back and forth deciding on 1 gal., or 5 gal. starter kit; I believe your advice of the 1 gal. would be far less intimidating.
          Absolutely, do the 1 gallon kit wine to start with, get the hang of doing it, and the hang of racking/bottling etc, then maybe once that's bubbling away nicely, start a wine #1, THEN start doing the 5 gallon ones.

You're better off learning to walk before you run with wine making - and this is from someone who always runs before she walks, and who had to throw away a lot of her first wines as they were awful, and all because she hit the ground running... so trust me on this one please!
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Hi Ray we take no prisoners here. We are all subject to Bobs parsnip rules.(;-)Welcome
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Running before Walking

I believe this is why I angst over the decision...I run wayyy before I walk. But age, ahem, is supposed to wise us up, right? So; thanks for the advice! I now just need to choose a kit, & order it.
              I will have more questions later about different additives. Thanks a Bunch

Comment

• Hi another newbie here. I'm from Lancashire and have been doing kit wines for quite some time and OH likes to brew beer. I'm only now venturing into fruit juice and country wines. I'm currently brewing 1 gallon of apple & grape and 1 gallon of just grape fruit juice wine, 5 gallons of 'wine no 1' and I've just started a gallon of plum & damson, and there's enough damsons and sloes for another gallon in the fridge that I intend to start tomorrow. Fingers crossed these first attempts work!

Comment

• Welcome Stumpjumper, you seem well on the way to becoming a dedicated (should I say addicted?) wine maker. Have fun, and we look forward to hearing about your results
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Welcome to wines at home stumpjumper, you'll not go far wrong with the wine#1
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Hello, Yet another new member!

Hello everyone, I've recently returned to home wine & beer making after a break of a few years, I moved house and other things got in the way but I'm back on track now and the internet has brought it into the 21st centuary!

I've got some Cherry made from bottled Morrellos and some grape & prune juice maturing and I'm currently fermenting some birch sap and some strawberry. I made up a pinot grigio kit and a Brupaks beer kit to get me moving again, and loving it all over again!

Looking forward to chatting to you all soon!
                      Last edited by converse1; 25-03-2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Welcome Converse, a West Yorkshire member too eh, good to see your back in the hobby, we have a fair few Yorkshire members, Knottingley, Normanton, Featherstone, Bradford & Pontefract to name a few.
                        Look forward to your input/questions
                        Discount Home Brew Supplies
                        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Another newbie here, from Wigan
                          Just starting out in this and have my first kit on its way to me (califonia con Shiraz) Look forward to posting up (oh and drinking) the results

Comment

• Welcome to you all, pull up a chair, sit a while

N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Welcome both
                              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Welcome all.

One note of caution - please DON'T mention parsnips or rap music. If you do, Bob will go off on one
                                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                                X