• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    Welcome - and ask away.
    Far better to ask, then not to ask, as I learnt from WAH

Comment

• Originally posted by Omniata View Post
      I was considering doing a "sugar" juice extraction for rhubarb and using it as a base.
      dont use sugar extraction
      freeze it and thaw it , it works much better.

see here

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

there are 7 episodes, but the rhubarb extraction method is fabulous, and leaves no coarseness in the must
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

see here

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

there are 7 episodes, but the rhubarb extraction method is fabulous, and leaves no coarseness in the must
        Just watched the second video on how to extract the rhubarb juice, the chap in the Video said that 4lbs will give you 1lt of juice, is that the amount that would be requied for 1 gal of wine?

Also I am new to the site and noticed that the video was upped by a member here, so just wondered who the chap is in the video is? (seems to know he's stuff)

We dont seem to have many wine circles around this way

Comment

• look at the titles at the start and the credits at the end....

His name is Colin Tweed N.G.W.B.J (National Guild of Wine and Beer Judges) he is also a member here, and yes, he does know his stuff.

The videos were shot, edited and uploaded by myself. They are part of a series of videos and events that will eventuallyform part of a virtual wine circle.

see here

in the video he gives the recipe,

It is for each gallon:
          1 litre of rhubarb juice, 1 litre of pressed grape juice and sugar to 1.080 (about 1.5lbs....but use your hydrometer, dont just dump sugar in) 1 tsp pectolase 1 tsp nutrient, and using Lalvin 71b-1122 or gervin Varietal D yeast

regards
          Bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-04-2009, 06:25 AM.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

see here

Many thanks for the info

Will have to give it a go this summer when it warms up a bit more and I'm in my new house.
            ex ovo omnia
            Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

• Hi All. New to the forum here.

I'm from Wales, UK. I've done a few kits brews over the last year (wine and lager) and now starting to get into homebrewing, I am finding it quite rewarding !!!

Comment

• Welcome Welcome Welcome

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi Delta9, nice to have another member from Wales. Which part are you from?
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Hello,

I'm new......been brewing wine for around 2 months and have quite a lot on the go just now.

I also make beer "All Grain" and been doing that since Sep08.

Just thought I would say hi
                    My Website - Backyard.8m.net
                    Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Comment

• Hi to you all, and welcome aboard our humble abode.

have fun
                      regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• hi, i'm in my 3rd homebrewing stint and i think its stuck this time. First one was kit beers, second one was country wines and this one is all sorts of wines ... country, kits and trying some from cartons of juice too.

i like to keep my brewing simple and delight in great results from simplicity - most often quaffable clear wines without using finings or filters. some so clear that i just cannot imagine how it could be improved. in my book if you would drink the wine blindfolded then that's the most important thing, clarity is a bonus that is very often achieved by father time. Not knocking finings and filters tho, just delighting in being a patient cheapskate who gets results.

recently made wines ... , hawthorn blossom, parsnip, green tea, shiraz kit, rose (from a carton of grape juice), orange, rosehip and some others, you get the idea.

i'll become more active as i get a feel for the forum. I left the last one cos i got fed up with other member's posts that the BNP and NF would be proud of, the last straw was the mods/admin joining in.
                        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                          recently made wines ... , hawthorn blossom, parsnip, green tea, shiraz kit, rose (from a carton of grape juice), orange, rosehip and some others, you get the idea.

Oh dear... Parsnip wine ... Bob will not be chuffed

But a good variation there ....

How did the green tea wine turn out ??

Oh and welcome by the way
                          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• hehe, the parsnip wine is still conditioning, stunningly clear .... can't believe i held off making this cos of the rep for being a pain to clear. Is fruity - bit citrus-, medium dry. should, by all accounts, be left for a year or so before drinking so this one will be bottled and drunk in the winter months. will defo make it again. took a lot of care at the parsnip boiling stage.

green tea is still clearing, could be one for finings which i always try to avoid if possible. i cant imagine its a yeast suspension but a protein haze also seems a little unlikely?. Has ginger in it too. not dissimilar to parsnip wine in the taste department except for a pleasant - but far from overpowering - fruity ginger component. medium (was aiming for a bit sweeter but plenty of time to adjust it if i decide to).
                            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Good stuff MS67...
                              I had thought about trying a green tea...
                              But I recently tried 2 other tea bag wines instead.. Lemon and Ginger, and Spiced Apple and Chamomile.
                              Both are very different, but quite nice nonetheless.
                              Might still try the green tea wine.
                              Thanks
                              Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• 'twas a loose leaf green tea that was approaching its use by date. think it was japanese, anyway it wasn't getting drunk as tea so i figured it might as well get us drunk!

if it clears i'll post the recipe, but don't wanna post a duff recipe from one of my experiments

Comment

Working...
                                X