• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hi everybody

Just a quick post to introduce myself. I found this site a few days ago and I have to say it has answered every question I have had about making wine, so thanks a lot guys.

I was shopping on Friday and decided to go in to the new Wilkinsons in town(only just opened the day before). Spotted the wine gear and thought I'd give it a go.

After reading all the tutorials I cant wait to get my first wine out of the way(Youngs Definitive Medium White) just so I can move on to wine No.1.

So once again thanks for creating a great site and thanks to all the members for being so helpful and knowledgeable.

Comment

• Welcome aboard Tatty
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• You are most welcome Tatty

have fun

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Welcome Tatty
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Comment

• Hi there, just a quick(ish) one to introduce myself!

In true Alcy Anonymous style, my name is Dave, I'm 30, from Brum, and fairly new to the wine game.

I've been lurking for a while on here to get a few hints and tips on how to create a decent wine. Being an all grain beer man previously, I've decided wine-making is:

1. A lot easier to get passable results than beer due to the simplicity of the raw ingredients and the easiness of cheating with chemicals.
                2. Requires a lot more patience.
                3. Easy to get a reaction from people for point 1!

So after a few small kits, one big kit and numerous experiments based loosely on the famous 'wine no. 1', I now have about 12 gallons of a wide range of tipples bulk aging in the garage! And I hold you all jointly responsible!

I can also tell you that juice based wine no.1s are far better than the cheapo 'Definitive' range from Wilkos bought out of curiousity whilst admiring the splendid range of scourers, pans and nappies; and the Beaverdale wines I have tried taste a load better than most sub tenner shop bought wines even after a short maturing time.

So cheers all, and let's hope this is the start of a wonderful relationship.

Comment

• Welcome Dave & enjoy the forum.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• hi guys im fairly new at this game ,ive made a few wines, and its great to have a good source of info and recipes.we dont have much like this in ireland
                    im sure ill have lots of questions.
                    1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
                    4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
                    1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
                    drinking cyser drinking elderflower

Comment

• Originally posted by granda View Post
                      hi guys im fairly new at this game ,ive made a few wines, and its great to have a good source of info and recipes.we dont have much like this in ireland
                      im sure ill have lots of questions.
                      Well, welcome to the forums.

You got questions ? ask away.......

Quick tip though, have a look through the "new wine makers" section. There's lots there, some you may already know about, some maybe not. Also, it's good to use the search option, as you'll probably see, lots of Q's have already been asked..

As I say, welcome to the forums granda

regards

jtfb
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Welcome granda
                        Abingdon-on-thames..learning by my mistakes !!

Comment

• Hi All, Firstly many thanks for saving what may have bee a short lived winemaking hobby, My wife and I live in a village surrounded by elderberry trees, and this year picked loads of them. With true beginners enthusiasm, no knowledge, and a recipe picked up on the internet we made 6 gallons of the stuff. Lord knows what it will taste like..
                          However after spending a couple of weeks reading through the threads on this site, we've now got 2 galls of wine no1 on the go, and are about to start a gall of tinned peach.
                          A little more knowledge, a lot more hope, and we'll keep you posted as to how they turn out, Many thanks again.
                          Brian and Wendy

Comment

• Welcome - you have come to the right place
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by briwend 26 View Post
                              Hi All, Firstly many thanks for saving what may have bee a short lived winemaking hobby, My wife and I live in a village surrounded by elderberry trees, and this year picked loads of them. With true beginners enthusiasm, no knowledge, and a recipe picked up on the internet we made 6 gallons of the stuff. Lord knows what it will taste like..
                              However after spending a couple of weeks reading through the threads on this site, we've now got 2 galls of wine no1 on the go, and are about to start a gall of tinned peach.
                              A little more knowledge, a lot more hope, and we'll keep you posted as to how they turn out, Many thanks again.
                              Brian and Wendy
                              what a great way to start off- with a big batch. i've never done a pure elderberry but have read lots of folk's thoughts here on it and it seems you have started with one that is slow to age - but worthwhile. So while you have lots of new-brewer enthusiasm keep trying different things so that you keep your mitts of the elderberry! Great stuff being surrounded by elderberry trees, i made my first elderflower wine this year and i'm so pleased with it that i keep kicking myself for never trying it years ago. So when they flower, give em a sniff, if they smell good dash indoors, find a recipe on WAH and get busy!
                              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Welcome aboard, you are most welcome

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X