Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All

thought I better say hello, been lurking for the past week or so since being directed here by someone on JimsBeerkit (can't remember who but I had better thank them - learnt a lot already). My dad always used to make wine, including a cracking apple wine, so I've happy memories of helping out stirring things in the kitchen.

Mainly a beer drinker and have been making that for the past 18 months, but I've also dabbled in other things including cider and a few attempts at wine. Made a few demijohns of something similar to Wine no1 last spring and have just bottled a Beaverdale Gewurtraminer kit which early tasting suggests its going to be quite nice. Got a couple of other beaverdale kits to do, Pinot Grigio and Merlot, hopefully they will turn out nice.

This evening I am planning three versions of wine no.1 (blueberry, apple and elderflower and tropical fruit all + grape juice), not sure how they will turn out but going to enjoy the journey.

Will probably be pestering you all with inane questions over the coming months, apologies in advance.

Thanks
    Michael

Comment

• Welcome aboard chaps

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi I've been making wine kits since returning to live in the UK in 2006 after realising how expensive wine is here. Ive mainly been doing the £24 7 day kits form the brew shop that make 30 bottles at a time, but now want to make from scratch like I used to do abroad with spirits.

I have loads of experience in spirit making while abroad (which is easier than wine!) but need to experiment with wine now I'm back in prohibition land as i know I cant continue with that in the UK

Ive just taken the plunge into country wine making tonight following a tinned fruit recipe on this forum.

Just thought Id pop in here and say hello.

Comment

• Welcome aboard. I highly recommend the tinned Lychee recipe - superb results and relatively straightforward to make.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I suggest you guys carry on and learn. I'd also suggest lots of #1 wine. Keep yourselves supping whilst you produce sheer wonders. Having said that, some of the #1 wines are magic too. Welcome. Lockwood - aka Bob - is a good source of info ... actually, so is everyone else on this site.
            “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
            Groucho Marx

Comment

• Welcome aboard
              as already mentioned the wine No1 and the lychee recipe make good quaffing wines

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Just thought I'd say hello. I've been making wine for a few years now. Then I thought maybe it would be a good idea if I learnt how to do it properly.

Comment

• Welcome
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Welcome to our humble abode
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi f3rm3nta.

Others have said welcome so I'm adding my welcome to theirs. My advice with this site, get stuck in ... but be careful of trying to teach boffins how to clear wine. Know what I mean?

My suggestion is listen to Bob and co. Bob is lockwood1956. Get yourself to the wine number one pages, and start creating wines you can sup whilst you ferment your serious projects.

In the meantime, partake of the fun, and, most of all, learn from those who know the answers before you have thought out the question. Even the novices can help.
                      “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by f3rm3nta View Post
                        I've been making wine for a few years now. Then I thought maybe it would be a good idea if I learnt how to do it properly.
                        same for me but now i realise doing it properly is a dim light in the far distance, but i'm loving the journey and the drinks along the way are a great testament to progress!
                        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                          same for me but now i realise doing it properly is a dim light in the far distance, but i'm loving the journey and the drinks along the way are a great testament to progress!
                          dim light?

Comment

• Originally posted by f3rm3nta View Post
                            dim light?
                            just humourously questioning what properly is .... i'm no clearer to knowing myself, but i know i'm going in the right direction .... light at the end of the tunnel ... dim light ..... distant but you know its there. bit obtuse perhaps, i'll blame the couple of glasses of cherry wine (kit) that i've enjoyed tonight.

welcome f3rm3ent3r, here's to ever improving brewing
                            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Dim lights at the end of tunnels usually turn out to be oncoming trains!

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it - and the welcomes from everyone else.

I look forward to both my brewing and fermenting improving.

Comment

• w3L(0m3 Phr0m m3 4Ls0 f3rm3nta dUD3
                                Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Working...
                                X