No announcement yet.

Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I meant for the top of the beer bottle.

I presumed the beer bottle was acting as an airlock. Have I totally misread Koomber's post?

I agree, the use of regular airlocks is preferable.

Koomber's idea, though, is good if desperate and no HB shops near one. Wilkinsons sell Airlocks too. I live in Liverpool and we have no HBS's. We have to travel to either Prenton or St Helens. We have lots of aquarium shops with such tubing at competitive prices. Koomber has put forward an idea that reminds me of when I was at school - please bear in mind that I'm 52 and ageing - and the old beehive jar and measuring lung capacity.

His principle, if I've understood it correctly, is good. I just wondered if cotton wool would serve the job of the plastic.

I think I've got hold of what you are saying Spritzer, and if I'm right, I agree.
    Last edited by wisp; 05-05-2010, 03:02 AM.
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
      I meant for the top of the beer bottle.

I presumed the beer bottle was acting as an airlock. Have I totally misread Koomber's post?

I agree, the use of regular airlocks is preferable.

Koomber's idea, though, is good if desperate and no HB shops near one. Wilkinsons sell Airlocks too. I live in Liverpool and we have no HBS's. We have to travel to either Prenton or St Helens. We have lots of aquarium shops with such tubing at competitive prices. Koomber has put forward an idea that reminds me of when I was at school - please bear in mind that I'm 52 and ageing - and the old beehive jar and measuring lung capacity.

His principle, if I've understood it correctly, is good. I just wondered if cotton wool would serve the job of the plastic.

I think I've got hold of what you are saying Spritzer, and if I'm right, I agree.
      Your bang on the money wisp. I was going to use cotton wool but thought it might get splashed by bubbles and possibly go foosty. I'll swap over to that with a bigger bottle (1 Pint bottle) and less water.

I like the thought of being a (Kronnen)borg abassador:
      You will be fermented. You distinctiveness and aroma will be added to our must. Resistance is futile
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

• sap2out

hi, wine making fans.
        mark.g. here i live in tameside,ashton-under-lyne.i have been making wine and
        beer over 25 years,i love it when its berry picking season,i make as
        much wine as poss,you can not have to much free wild fruit,it makes such wine.
        I all so like metal detecting,driving,gardening.these are some of my hobbies.
        I like to go out and when i make a big batch of homebrew.

Comment

• Originally posted by koomber View Post
          I'll swap over to that with a bigger bottle (1 Pint bottle) and less water.
          A standard milk bottle, can accomodate a standard bung
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by mark g View Post
            hi, wine making fans.
            mark.g. here i live in tameside,ashton-under-lyne.i have been making wine and
            beer over 25 years,i love it when its berry picking season,i make as
            much wine as poss,you can not have to much free wild fruit,it makes such wine.
            I all so like metal detecting,driving,gardening.these are some of my hobbies.
            I like to go out and when i make a big batch of homebrew.
            Hi Mark - welcome aboard
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hello everybody.

I'm Paul and i'm a newbie, both to this site and winemaking. I've had a pop at brewing beer before with no success but already browsing through this site i've discovered where i went wrong. I'm currently obsessed with trying to make wine with as little outlay as possible (aren't we all) and this site is great, but one thing i've heard no mention of is marmalade. Can you make wine with orange marmalade? I know you can with jam.

Comment

• Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum.

I haven't made wine from marmalade myself, but I'd be willing to bet there's someone around here who has. If not, there are plenty of recipes for wine made from tinned preserves, so perhaps you can adapt one of those.
                Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                  Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum.

I haven't made wine from marmalade myself, but I'd be willing to bet there's someone around here who has. If not, there are plenty of recipes for wine made from tinned preserves, so perhaps you can adapt one of those.

Thanks for that, i'll look some up. My main worry was that the peel in marmalade might leave a bitter taste, but own brand value marmalade is so cheap it's got to be worth looking into.

Comment

• It's the amount of bitter pith I think one needs to be concerned with. Some brands have more pith, while others use only the outermost rind of the orange. I think a little of the bitter element is fine in marmalade, but just keep in mind that any bitter qualities tend to become amplified when making wine.
                    Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by paul07895 View Post
                      but one thing i've heard no mention of is marmalade. Can you make wine with orange marmalade? I know you can with jam.
                      Yes you can, and I've made it with 'out of date' home made marmalade from Seville oranges.

The only trouble is the most appropriate time of day to drink it seemed at breakfast time accompanied by warm toast - and I'm not joking!
                      My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

• Originally posted by David View Post
                        Yes you can, and I've made it with 'out of date' home made marmalade from Seville oranges.

The only trouble is the most appropriate time of day to drink it seemed at breakfast time accompanied by warm toast - and I'm not joking!

Why is that a problem, I know how to make warm toast!

Comment

• I should have said hello before;

I am modofodo, I live near Neath. I started out brewing a couple of years ago with a Young's 7 day wine kit. Subsequently have had a go at some fruit and flower wines a couple of beer kits etc. Just recently I made some fruit tea wines and then decided to buy a couple of kits to try.

I found this site via another forum and now have wn1 and a bastardised wn2 on the go too!

Comment

• Welcome aboard
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hello - and thank you for the welcome

I am Graham - gently eased into retirement (redundant) and have taken up the art, again. Along with all things that grow in the garden and are edible.

Just an observation, I have in the past brewed quite a lot, even in Saudi Arabia, I have a wine juice brewing at the moment (Tesco cheap red) 2 ltrs. Its been on the go for 6 days now and seems to have entered a foaming stage?

In the fermenter, each 20 minutes it will develop a foamy head, which clears for no apparent reason, only to repeat itself.

Any thoughts

Comment

• Hello - and thank you for the welcome

I am Graham - gently eased into retirement (redundant) and have taken up the art, again. Along with all things that grow in the garden and are edible.

Just an observation, I have in the past brewed quite a lot, even in Saudi Arabia, I have a wine juice brewing at the moment (Tesco cheap red) 2 ltrs. Its been on the go for 6 days now and seems to have entered a foaming stage?

In the fermenter, each 20 minutes it will develop a foamy head, which clears for no apparent reason, only to repeat itself.

Any thoughts

Comment

Working...
                                X