Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stu254 View Post
    is it likely to be a problem using them post ferment?
    Welcome to the forum Stu254. Bentonite and other additives, clearing agents and stabilizers do different things in different wines. Bentonite also comes in different grades to accomplish different things. One needs to be careful using these with out knowing which is used for what purpose. You can strip a wine using them. You will most likely be OK though. This is a great place to ask any questions you have.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by stu254 View Post
      is it likely to be a problem using them post ferment?
      Originally posted by ukric View Post
      Not sure mate, I've never used bentonite post ferment, I use it pre ferment and it settles out with the lees. Kwik Clear is the/are the finings of choice post ferment.
      Welcome to the Forums Stu

As ukric said your better of using Kwik Clear after the fermentation has finsihed, at which stage I normally rack and add Stabiliser & also a campden tablet, then leave in a cool dark place for a month or so (can take longer), normally it clears on its own, but only the other day I had a no1 (Orange & Pineapple) which even after couple of re-racks would not clear (just had a slight haze to the wine) so added the Kwik Clear and within 12 hours it was fairly clear and 24 hours later it was very clear and also a layer of the sediment (on the bottom of the DJ) that had been in suspension before adding the Kwik Clear.

Also a good idea to use a Wizz Stick once you re-rack to help to De-Gas your wine.

Comment

• Welcome
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Hi - I'm Alan and I live in a small village on the North Yorkshire/Lancashire border.

Back in the early 80s I was a keen beer and country wine maker, but gave it up and sold most of my equipment by the end of the 80s.

20 years later I've got the bug and I'm hoping to tackle some wines again before the end of the summer. This site looks like a great resource for someone like myself who is rusty on the techniques.

Comment

• Welcome aboard Alan
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hi Alan,

welcome aboard
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello - I'm exup (Alan) from West Yorkshire - my parents used to make wine when I was younger with fruit and veg from their allotment. One of the stranger ones I remember was pea pod wine.

Hoever after finding a field of blackberries around the back of my girlfriends house where there were so many last year that had goen to waste (not picked as nobody knows about them - and too much for the animals)
                I decided I would pick them this year. Of course now theres far too much to eat we thought we would start making wine with them.

1st week saw about 4 1/2 lbs of berries into 2 gallons of wine. (making medium sweet from my Dads recipe). Its just been put into secondary and tastes just about right.
                2nd week we managed to pick more than I can use so have had to freeze the excess of berries for now. But its produced about 5 gallons of wine in the bucket which is now bubbling away happily.
                Still loads more berries to pick too

Although my girlfriend would like to make some Cider and Perry as she has two trees full of apples and pears in her garden which she had to many to use last year.

Havent made Cider or Perry before so that should be interesting.

As for myself, other than getting back into making wine, I'm a bit of a petrol head, extreme sports nut, and like motorracing, go karting, motorcycling, snow boarding, rollerblading, jet skiing. mainly anyway to get from A to B which involves having fun

Going to be reading through the advice pages during the next few days in my spare time.

Comment

• Welcome to WaH exup,

Guessed the bike connection from the username (mines not far off as a trucker)......

The blackberry find is brill, it amazes me what's out there!

Don't forget, if you find that the wines aren't quite fruity enough when finished one of the handy tricks is to chuck some fruit into the finished ferment. Usually gives the extra taste and makes for earlier drinking.

As for cider/perry ? It's not hard, but can be a little labour intensive without a bit of kit. Plus it takes a bit of reading to achieve anything that's like the commercial equivalent, though something that's "scrumpy like" is straight forward. I would point out that if you want bubbles, then it's worth finding out about artificial and/or non-fermentable sweetners otherwise the yeasties can much their way through fermentables very quickly/easily......

Keep an eye on ebay for a press - not totally necessary but it makes life a lot easier...

As does understanding of "juice keeping" (goes brown easily - not always a bad thing). There's a lot of info out there to learn from.......

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Hello to you all,

I am new to winemaking although I tend to make most things needed at home especially in the kitchen.

Last year I made my very first Elderberry wine which should be ready to dring next Month, didnt really know what I was doing but it was a great learning curve, I now have a Beaverdale Rioja on the go and am about to make a Beaverdale Borolo, will then go onto some fruit wines. I have the bug now!!!

Comment

• Welcome makaholic, you won't be dissapointed with the rioja or the barolo, both are great kit's.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Thanks Duffbeer, very encouraging words, I hope that I can do them justice!!

Comment

• Another new boy

What a find - just what a newbie needs!

A long term interest that's now about to become more than just an interest. I'd like to start with an elderberry. And because I like a challenge (and have a good supply of champagne bottles) I'd like to turn it into a full-bodied, medium dry, sparkling red!

Expect to see me back soon (if not in casulaty)!

Comment

• Originally posted by SE11 View Post
                            And because I like a challenge. I'd like to turn it into a full-bodied, medium dry, sparkling red!
                            Thats a big challenge for a new winemaker, it is quite a difficult task to produce that style of wine. Not trying to put your enthusiasm down, but I think you might want to try something a little less problematic if this is your first attempt at making wine.

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi my name is Stuart Im new in here but not new to wine making, my father made wine and mead when I was still at school (Im the wrong side of 50 now) I was more stealing it in these days rather than making it, I still have and use a glass bubble air lock from the 1960's, been wine making my self for some 30 years now, also interested in fishing and caravaning, used to go camping but went soft with old age......have made beer with kits but I have to confess I hate wine kits......especialy ready to drink in 3 weeks...they are having a laugh arent they ?

Comment

• Originally posted by scotbrew View Post
                                ready to drink in 3 weeks...they are having a laugh arent they ?
                                indeed they are

Welcome aboard
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X