Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Gary

Welcome aboard, sorry for the registration delay!

Check out the new winemakers section and the tutorial section, you will find lts of info there, and any questions, just ask. you will find them a friendly bunch here

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi all, this is my first post. First of all, thanks for such a great forum, I've been reading through past posts and the knowledge base and help available is brilliant. Back in the late 80's early 90's I dabbled with beer kits and a few wine kits with varying results. TBH Ithink most of my failings were due to impatience. I have a No.1 wine on the go and have just put down a No.2. Before I found this site a put down a pear wine so I inadvertantly went straight in to a fruit wine but it's going well and I'm happy with progress. This time around I'm keeping proper records noting date, the recipe details and any variations, starting SG and monitoring it as I go. I now have more patience and have a plan to vary longer term wines with quick wines so that I don't get too bored. Best of all (just today) I was offered 15 glass demijohns for just £20, I nearly bit the guys hand off to get them.

Comment

• Welcome aboard

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by NV68 View Post
          Ah, thanks very much Goldseal, simple ideas are the best. I've taken 500ml out and covered. The drop in temperature seems to have calmed it down a lot as well. I'll give it a couple of days before I put it back.
          I know this post is too late for you now, but this happens to me sometimes, and I decant some of the must into a standard glass milk bottle, as opening is the same size as a standard bung . I pop an airlock on the bung, and return the wine when all has calmed down
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Hi All

Just getting back in to wine making after a stint back when I was a teen where I used to do beer, larger and wine all from kits. This time round I'll just be working on wines as never been a fan of beer and only find larger any good if water down with lemonade surprising how taste changes.

So I've been getting the equipment together and ready to go. Been reading a lot of the forum and surprised at how badly I did things before, probably due to only doing kits. The plan this time round to avoid kits and have some experiments.

On the cards are:

Start off with a Wine No. 1 and No. 2
            Find a nice recipe for a dry white that hits my taste buds just right
            Find a recipe for a red with similar characteristics to Merlot for the parents
            Have a go at sparkling wine as every one like a bit of bubbly
            And above all else have some fun.

Mark............

Comment

• Hi Mark

welcome aboardw

ine No1 & 2 a good starting point.

You should find wine No1 quite acceptable in taste, but you might also want to try the lychee (in the recipe section) it has a very full flavour and is a tad like a gewurztraminer

Merlot?

well....we import Merlot grapes each year, so you could go that route (it all happens next sauturday..22nd) but Brian (supplier) offers some frozen

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thanks Bob

Think I'll get a few Wine No. 1 & 2 under my belt before tiring some fresh grapes, that way I'll feel less disappointed if it all goes wrong.

Mark............

Comment

• good morning!

I'm just saying hello, as I'm new to making my own wines, meads and beers, even though I have my first 3 gallons of mead, 5 gallons of lager and 4 gallons of various country wines on the go. I'm sorry if I seem to pick brains to much, thats the way I learn.
                  anyway looking forward to getting it right once in a while, cheers.

Comment

• Welcome aboard

I moved this thread to the introcuce yourselves here thread....
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I haven't read any of the threads so, through relaying experiences here, I might be letting people know I know very little about winemaking. I started making some sort of stuff when I was a student 30 years ago, I got hold of a couple of demijohns and a tatty charity paperback country wines book and had a go. The simple starter wine therein was made of orange and pineapple juice and despite the odd messy experience things seemed to work. I knew even less then and with my, what my old Pure Maths Prof told me was an, immature palate I quite liked the stuff. I was popular at Student parties, turning up with a demijohn of the fall over water.

I picked up ‘wine’ making again about 4 years ago and experimented until I found a grape concentrate source I liked and that my snobby wife would drink the results from. Our large unheated utility doubles as a cellar and between May and September in the UK is just about warm enough to ferment, so unless I want to have the stuff fermenting in the house proper I have to brew most during these months. It’s probably a little warm for storage, although I admit I don’t know the effects of that on the wine. Since using the current concentrate I have had no poor results and we don’t buy anything but champagne or port these days.

People know what they get when they come to our house and seem to relish it, or is it my wife’s gastronomic delights? They sometimes bring some bought wine which we seldom open unless it’s something they specifically wanted to have, we often open some of it and it tends to end up in casseroles etc. Anyone who likes it can if they wish take a few home, I’m just happy to make something that is eminently drinkable, even though there is little skill involved, just methodical steralising. After a previous few years of just about satisfactory wine I’m happy with what we have now, and the vast savings accompanying it are still amusing me.
                      Last edited by DavidCH; 27-09-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Welcome DavidCH. If it works for you then that's what's important. Lots of info on here if you want to try tweaking your recipes or understand more about storage conditions. Likewise feel free to post your recipes if you like and other folk can try them. Happy wine making.
                        Simon
                        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Ahoy!

I am returning to winemaking - even after very painful memories of making and drinking "Boots" red wine, many moons ago.

So perusing the interweb I found myself reading forums where people were delighted with the results - so I have had another go!

I've been flabbergasted at the quality of the kits I have tried! - So much so that the intention of laying down a cellar has been completely stymied by the drinking of the stuff.

So the Idea of recipie number "one" has got me making some - to give my big reds a chance to mature.

I started two, one gallon DG's yesterday.

One with Dextrose - the other with granulated sugar - just to get an idea of the difference in taste (the Dextrose was an "immediate" starter - the suger took off a few hours later)

Why oh why did i chuck out all my old equipment - I am mortified it all needs to be purchased again!

All the best

Liam

Comment

• Welcome to the forums Liam.

I suspect you'll find enough to keep you ticking over and more.

For cheaper glass, eBay is a good place to keep an eye on. Also, for decent priced consumables, check out posts by Duffbeer, as he runs a homebrew shop and gives forum members some discount.

With kits, it really does seem that the more you pay, the better they get.

The "training" recipes offer instruction for making batches from commonly available juices, but also offer technique to modify the recipes with many different juices to find something new.

Ha! Some of us who've been hereabouts for sometime, still haven't made them all.....
                            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome Fatbloke

You are dead right about the price of kits - i thought £75 was expensive - right up until I tasted a glass ! The cheaper one was on a par with the cheaper Tesco type offers - i do not intend going under a certain price for kits in future.

I think am also going to try different yeasts on Recipe one - just to get a handle on how things work.

So far, all I have definetely learned, is that the biggest flavour enhancer is.............time!

Looking forward to the journey

Liam

Comment

• Welcome aboard Liam

You will find tons of info in the tutorials section and the new winemakers start here contains ()as John says) recipes designed to build a solid skill set.

also check out the tools and calculators section for lots of free info

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X