No announcement yet.

Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try freezing the apple hard and then thawing them before dropping them straight in the press - fentastic juice
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I will give freezing some apples a go does it matter how long you freeze for? then I could keep adding apples gradually to the freezer until I have enough(mixed) for a brew. I have found big mixes of apples make the best wine. I made a really nice white wine with honey, white grape juice concentrate and pressed apples. i collected the apples over 2 weeks foraging, buying from supermarkets and buying from the market as many varieties (including crabs and cookers) as possible.
      press
      299745_249088525134255_1728990354_n.jpg

Tom

Comment

• Absolutely. Just make sure they are frozen hard. They need time to form larger ice crystals which quietly cut up the fruit. I tried a quick blast and it does not work. Further they also need to be thoroughly thawed - if you compress ice you get harder ice. The press will not break it down.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Hi, my name is Adam and I have a problem.......
          4 out of my 9 DJs are empty any suggestions?

Ive been using the forum as a reference library for some time and thought it was time I joined you all!

I made some elderflower champagne in the 80's and all was fine till the year of Chernobyl and then strange things started to grow in my champagne, so I gave up. Fast forward a good few years and last year I made some elderberry wine, this year there is 1gal Richards red, 1gal elderflower wine, 1gal elderflower champagne, 1gal elderflower with sultanas & a banana thrown in, 1gal RGJ with a kg black grapes (autumn royal) thrown in, 1gal of WGJ with added WGJ concentrate, 1gal pea pod its nose was at bottleing, 3 gal of pinot grigio style from HWBMF and finally a lot to learn
          Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

• Hi Adam

Welcome aboard.

Empty DJ's???

yikes

get some wine in them, your crimbo guests are surely likely to empty your stache

if you haven't tried wine No1, joes ancient orange meand, wurzels orange wine or Rich's lychee I can recommend them all

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              if you haven't tried wine No1, joes ancient orange meand, wurzels orange wine or Rich's lychee I can recommend them all
              Seconded (maybe not WoW for me though )
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I think maybe a wine No1 or a wow next, although I do have a couple of reserve du chateau kits to go at too

I guess your talking about post crimbo stocks Bob? is it not too late for an xmas brew.

I'm interested in your grape fest event and already scheming how to get there next year, if I can wait soo long.......hmmm when is the grape harvest in South America

Adam

Comment

• What you need, is to make a start on some frozen grapes, that way you will get your hand in before grape-fest.

There is a chap on here somewhere that sells crushed frozen grapes all ready for fermenting - I think he has a few left

This message carries a blatant advert warning. Your wallet may be at risk if you act upon the suggestions in this posting.
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 10-12-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Depends what varieties he has left to tempt my cash out of my wallet

Comment

• hi from telford

Hi all, I'm new to winemaking although I did dabble a bit a few years ago. I've just done a Merlot concentrate kit which was given to me as a xmas prezzie including equipment. I suppose it's a good starting point but I'd like to move on to the more advanced wines as I learn.
                      I do have an initial question to ask, I've just checked the wine with the hydrometer and it's reading 1.000, but I can still see little bubbles at the surface, should I add the stabiliser or let it carry on?

Looking forward to talking to you all.

Keith

Comment

• Hello Keith

Welcome aboard I'm sure you will find plenty here to whet your appetite ( pun intended sorry). You need to be careful with this this hobby it can be a little tricky to shake once you get started.

I would guess at 1.000 it is still bubbling through the airlock just a little bit. I would let it ferment a little longer yet.
                        I am sure there will be others along soon.
                        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Cellar_Rat, I'll check again tomorrow, I'm just worried it will turn out too dry if I leave it too long!

Comment

• You can always backsweeten it once finshed. Panic not.

Alternatively - if you have tasted it and it's where you want it, thats OK too. Winemaking is a 50% art 50% science so there is no right or wrong way.

Comment

• There is a very active winemaking circle in Telford, they are a lovely bunch of people too, if you want their details give me a shout

regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi,

I'm fairly new to this lark. Well, OK, old and never serious with making wines, but have had a few demijohns around for a few years. Mostly made sloe gin and brandy but now brewing the odd 20l pear cider and a few wines. Started on mead, too, 'cos I have a large surlpus of honey.

Very practical and have a scientific background, so little that I can't get a handle on - unless modern technology (I still use discrete transistors rather than ICs per eg - 2N3055s rule OK!).

Insulated ferment cupboard for demi's is kept at 18C (any suggestions for a more optimal temp would be appreciated) using a dimmerstat controller. I'm technical rather than artistic and that may show in replies, and never really been known as a diplomat - I'm just too honest.

Other interests include vintage machinery, CSMs (sock machines), old cars and motorcycles, beekeeping, renewable energy, and a few others.

RAB

Comment

Working...
                                X