• Show
Clear All

• Hi Gaz

fear not, John saved the day

welcome aboard, look forward to your input

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi all.

I am totally new to winemaking, and have just ordered all the start up equipment along with a kenridge Classic Sauvignon Blanc from Hop and Grape. Being doing alot of research prior to jumping in head first. Any tips would be greatly received, but im sure there will be alot of trial and error on my part.

Found this forum whilst trawling the web and have found it to be a great source of infromation.

Just thought i would introduce myself.

regards

Jon

Comment

• Hi Jon,

I'm also totally new to wine/mead/ beer making.

You won't find a better site than this for everything you need to know about this hobby. The knowledge and experience is second to none.

The staff and members are a fantastic crowd and will bend over backwards to help.

I have my first two wines on the go right now and must practice patience until they are finished.

Gary
        Last edited by Gaztops; 22-06-2013, 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by Pords View Post
          Hi all.

I am totally new to winemaking, and have just ordered all the start up equipment along with a kenridge Classic Sauvignon Blanc from Hop and Grape. Being doing alot of research prior to jumping in head first. Any tips would be greatly received, but im sure there will be alot of trial and error on my part.

Found this forum whilst trawling the web and have found it to be a great source of infromation.

Just thought i would introduce myself.

regards

Jon
          Welcome to the forums Jon.

If you have a dig through the "new winemaker" bits, there's some good recipes and methods to start learning with, that use supermarket juices (get to know the nearest Lidl and/or Aldi, as they have some excellent juices), developed by Bob (lockwood1956), our fearless admin.

Depends on which part of Kent you're in for a decent HBS. By all accounts, the HBS in Maidstone is pretty good (don't know myself, as I'm down on the central Sussex coast - but I believe it's quite good from a friend who's just south of Maidstone).

Enjoy your wine making, it's not too difficult to make some reasonable splosh, whether from kits or fruit. The only silly question is the one that you forget to ask. There's a mountain of knowledge hereabouts, and nobody sees averse to sharing.......
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Thanks Guys for the welcome.

Fatbloke I live about 10 minutes from Maidstone and have seen the HBS you mentioned on the web. Might pop down there sometime next week and have a nosey and try not to spend to much. There is a few things i still need to get by reading some of the threads that might make things alot easier. Looking forward to starting my first wine and hopefully everything should be here by Tuesday.

Comment

• Welcome to the forum. Have fun!

Comment

• Enjoy the forum - there are a lot of good info here. Can I recommend using the advanced options in the search, when you are looking for stuff, you need to give it all the help you can
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Hi Jon

Welcome aboard.

Try out the new winemaker series, easy to do and easier to drink! and will build a set of skill that should see you well into your winemaking future

great hobby this, and you can drink the results!

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• it's a great hobby....
                    You can buy the equipment and ingredients and save money immediately!
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Moved the posts to this area Jon

regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hello everyone, my names Neil and I'm an al.... Oh wait wrong forum... I'm a new winemaker.

My partner Debbie and I have recently taken to this new hobby. To be honest she has taken the lead and I am her able bodied assistant

We have so far mixed up a batch of elderflower wine which is bubbling away nicely and last weekend started another, strawberry wine... Which isn't going so well.

Anyway pleased to meet you all, I'm off the find the right sub forum to ask about bubbling, or the lack thereof.

Comment

• Welcome to a newbie from another newbie...I've just started some Elderflower on Sunday. Got 25 liters of rhubarb on the go, down to the last few bottles of rhubarb from last year..got to keep them for this weekend...big BBQ with friends.

Comment

• Hi Guys

pleased to get your access sorted Neil

is the bung firmly pushed into the DJ?

bubbling isnt a good guide to fermentation activity, give the bung a firm twist and push in, see if it bubbles then, air can easily escape around the bung (or grommett)

regards
                            bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi Bob,

Yes it's firmly pushed in, I guess I could replace the bung with another just to be sure.

Yesterday we whipped up some more yeast mixture and mixed it in in an attempt to kick start it... I guess we need to be patient and monitor it for a few days.

Comment

• Hi Neil

Regarding this strawberry wine that isnt co-operating....

Start a thread in the general winemaking area and we will see what we can find out........

recipe, and method would be a good starting point

regards
                                Bob
                                Last edited by lockwood1956; 25-06-2013, 08:13 PM.
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X