Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Biggles View Post
    Biggles is back

For those of you not at winefest 13 this weekend just wanted to let you all know i am here again, currently stood in my kitchen making some No1 wine.

Can someone remind me where i can get a sheet to record all the good info that i am taking at the moment, type of juice, SG, ammount of sugar etc, Am sure there used to be a form you could print and keep all the info, yes i know, i never did it either but wanting to make better wines this time,

Hope to chat soon,

Andy

(Big Les)
    http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?912-Wine-Making-Calculators-and-factsheet
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Hi all, another newbie here. Well, to wine making that is. I tried to make wine a long time ago, so long ago that the Dead Sea was only reporting in sick. Alas, it was a disaster, with the result of some over-sweet, watery liquid. I gave away the equipment, and went down the pub to drown my sorrows.
      Now that I have grown up a bit, well, a lot, as I am now 60 years old, I have decided to try again, and be a lot more patient. I have made a few kit wines, two from winebuddy, and one from Cellar 21. These were all 30 bottle kits, and I drank the first two ok, but the Cellar 21 was thin, lacking in colour, and seemed acidic. I still have around 18 bottles of that, but I think they may end up down the sink.
      I decided to try something more expensive, and bought a Muntons Premium Cellar Cab Sav, and that has me hooked on wine making at the moment. I also made a Muntons Shiraz, and am currently drinking that, and saving the last 12 bottles of the cab Sav. I must say these wines are excellent, to my very limited palate.
      On the go at the moment, I have a Beaverdale Chablis Blush, and a Grenache Rose, 1 gal kits, both of which are starting to clear. I also have 2* 30 bottle kits of Muntons Premium Cellar, 1 of Sav Blanc, the other is Shiraz again.
      Oops! didn't mean to go on so much for my first post,
      Regards, Dave.

Comment

• Originally posted by eyeinthesky View Post
        Hi all, another newbie here. Well, to wine making that is. I tried to make wine a long time ago, so long ago that the Dead Sea was only reporting in sick. Alas, it was a disaster, with the result of some over-sweet, watery liquid. I gave away the equipment, and went down the pub to drown my sorrows.
        Now that I have grown up a bit, well, a lot, as I am now 60 years old, I have decided to try again, and be a lot more patient. I have made a few kit wines, two from winebuddy, and one from Cellar 21. These were all 30 bottle kits, and I drank the first two ok, but the Cellar 21 was thin, lacking in colour, and seemed acidic. I still have around 18 bottles of that, but I think they may end up down the sink.
        I decided to try something more expensive, and bought a Muntons Premium Cellar Cab Sav, and that has me hooked on wine making at the moment. I also made a Muntons Shiraz, and am currently drinking that, and saving the last 12 bottles of the cab Sav. I must say these wines are excellent, to my very limited palate.
        On the go at the moment, I have a Beaverdale Chablis Blush, and a Grenache Rose, 1 gal kits, both of which are starting to clear. I also have 2* 30 bottle kits of Muntons Premium Cellar, 1 of Sav Blanc, the other is Shiraz again.
        Oops! didn't mean to go on so much for my first post,
        Regards, Dave.
        Welcome to the Forums Dave.

There's plenty of good advice hereabouts (not from me, I'm still learning lots about wines.....I make mostly meads). So you should be able to get plenty of good advice about making either kits, country wines or if you do manage to "get the bug", there's always the annual meet up at Bob's i.e. lockwood1956, our very knowledgable admin, for "Grapefest" etc, and using (checks over shoulders so nobody else hears)...........real, fresh wine grapes !

With kits, it really does seem to be "you get what you pay for". I suspect you can see what that means, yet with a few tweaks, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make something that's very drinkable. Have a look at the new winemaker section, for wines 1 to 4. Most are for supermarket juice recipes that by all accounts make a perfectly quaffable brew.......

And again, welcome to the forums.......
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Welcome Dave from another old born again wino...

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated. When I joined up, I really wanted to see the photos Bob posted on wine number 1, and I was bursting to have a go at this recipe. I usually drink reds though, so I also wanted to try a red recipe, unfortunately, due to impatience, I got it wrong. I was waiting to be moderated, so couldn't ask questions, and I had been reading on another forum, where I found Richards Red recipe, but I got all the info mixed up. I started wn1 ok, and then dissolved sugar in a jug again, before realising that I didn't have the correct sugar for richards red, and didn't have the ingredients for wn2, so I ended up with something in between, maybe wn1.5? lol. Anyway, I do have a close version of wn1 on the go, and my in between, so I will let you know how that works. Dave.

Comment

• Hi, newbie here!

I have been all-grain brewing beer for a couple of years now, and have decided to have a go at making some wine! I have had a couple of goes at WOW wine with good results, and have decided to give wine from grapes a go, and this certainly looks like the best place to come!

Cheers!
              Jake

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakey.goodman View Post
                Hi, newbie here!

I have been all-grain brewing beer for a couple of years now, and have decided to have a go at making some wine! I have had a couple of goes at WOW wine with good results, and have decided to give wine from grapes a go, and this certainly looks like the best place to come!

Cheers!
                Jake
                Welcome.......

There's plenty of excellent knowledge hereabouts.

As for grape wines (as in, not a kit but.........whole grapes), there's plenty.

The only downside is fresh grape being a seasonal/annual thing (any reason for 2 grapefests per year would be excellent).

Frozen fresh wine grape works well too (see Brians (cellar rat) sig line)......

Good to see another southerner though. Go to grapefest at Bob's and you have to go in "uniform"........flat cap and braces, and weald a black pud like a morris dancer

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Go to grapefest at Bob's and you have to go in "uniform"........flat cap and braces, and weald a black pud like a morris dancer
                  You forgot to mention Whippets!
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    You forgot to mention Whippets!
                    No I didn't Mr M.....this is the south so its pit bulls down here I'm sure I could borrow a speciall trained racing pigeon who can QUACK though.....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                      I'm sure I could borrow a speciall trained racing pigeon who can QUACK though.....
                      Love it!
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi All. New to the forum (not really a computer person) but been to a few of the meetings.
                        Im Davyd and I enjoy my beer. Try to go to Brugge every year for my hols (can you guess why? )
                        I have been homebrewing since March this year and to date made 25 batches. 2 kits and the rest extract with steeping grains.
                        Currently drinking a wheat beer, I have a Weizen Bock which was bottled last week and a Bock in the loft (hoping for the temp to drop for the largering) and a Brewferm Adbijbier in the fermentor.
                        I am hoping to get more knowledge about this wonderful stuff from everybody here.

Comment

• Hi everyone i'm new to wine making but helped a freind make apple jack . So i'm looking forward to try new wines later . Again ty shelly

Comment

• Welcome both......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Welcome both.

Davyd - Weizen Bock is on my 'next up' list - just starting out on my wheat beer journey - just about to bottle (this weekend ) a basic wheat beer. Quite fancied a smoked to - any tips / recipes / books / ideas?
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• I have 2 books Cellar Rat. Brewing classic styles and designing great beers. Both are purley American so I am making assumptions and slight changes to some of the recipes as for example almost all include crystal at either 15 - 200 lovibond but I get 1 or 2 kinds of crystal from karl, crystal or dark crystal.

The recipes in these books are mainly smoked porters or rauchbier. Can pass these on if you want.

Are you a all grain brewer? Trying to work out my efficiency and struggling. did a brew in bag and got measurements / gravity reading but not sure on the math to work out what I extracted from the maris otter grain

Comment

Working...
                                X