No announcement yet.

Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the sugars that can be turned to alcohol that will determine the strength of the brew as long as the yeast is tolerant to that alcohol level, most yeasts (including bread yeast) will easily go to 9 or 10%

its a good idea to experiment with different yeasts as they all give a different flavour profile.

(I would probably go with the wine yeast though)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello and welcome Andy
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Yet More Questions!!

Hi Board,

Two further questions that have arisen since my last post.

1) The red fluid in my thermometer has now got a bit of air somehow stuck just before the end of the fluid (i.e. a few milimeteres from the bit (end) where you take the reading) .... Is this a faulty thermometer?

I don't know how to get all the red liquid back into one 'piece' .... The only thing I could think of on my own was to plunge it between cold and hot to try to gel it back together but that hasn't worked. Of course I'm now at a loss as to how to read the reading on the thermometer; is the reading from the end of the large bit of fluid, or the end of the fluid, after the air?? Or of course, is this thermometer totally knackered, and I need a new one! ....

Any solution(s) gratefully received!

2) My plum wine seems to have stopped fermenting today. Per instructions from the kit I've agitated the demijohn to get the yeast back into the fluid (it was all at the bottom, as sediment) .... Also I took a specific gravity reading. The SG reading shows 1.003 - right in the middle of the range on the instructions that says it's finished fermenting (range given was 1.002 - 1.004). Do I take it this means it really has finished fermenting? .... It's bang on 7 days since I started the fermentation - the instructions do state that fermentation will take between 7 and 20 days .... I suppose to try be clear, the issue I am concerned about is whether me adding concentrated grape juice on day five means that I should be having a different SG reading as 'end of fermentation'??

Should I just stop worrying about it, admit I'm obviously a natural at this brewing business (<g>), and be pleased I seem to have got my brew finished fermenting quickly .... and carry on following the instructions!!?

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

• Hi Andy!

I hope you enjoy yourself here!
          REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Brewnut;

1) hold the thermometer by the top, and swing it downward quickly with a snap at the end of the swing. This should bring the liquid back together.

2) Yes indeed. Your plum wine is finished. Carry on with the instructions for stabilizing and fining.

Pat

Comment

• Thanks! Both Problems Solved + Turbo Cider questions!

Hi Pat/Board,

The thermometer trick has worked a treat!! It's all in the technique eh?! I tried swinging it about a bit after I made the last post but to no avail .... a little more of a snap at the end of the swing though, and the red's all back in one piece .... Only took me 30 seconds: Pat, you're a genius!

As to the plum wine .... All sorted now. I've carried on per instructions, and everything looks A-OK - I added finings today, and hopefully will be able to enjoy my first ever glass of home brewed wine within two weeks!

I also started off a turbo cider (1 gallon) brew just after posting last time .... Only variation was I chucked in a cup full of sugar + a teaspoon of yeast nutrient... Both in an effort to get the end result more alcoholic than the 5.5% it otherwise would have turned out at. It's bubbling away like crazy and I can't wait to get my teeth into it once it's finished!

A couple of quick questions about the Turbo cider ....

1) How do I know when fermentation is complete (there are no final SG reading indicators in the recipe + I altered it by adding sugar & yeast nutrient anyway)?

Do I need to take SG readings that are the same for two or more consecutive days or something like that [idea borrowed from the spirit kit instructions!]? Can I simply tell somehow by the amount of air coming through the airlock (e.g. less than one bubble every two minutes or something)? Please advise generally!

2) Any idea how long from start to finish this turbo cider takes?

I'm planning a small party, and am trying to work out a date by which at least three of the four brews I've currently got going will be ready by .... And I have no idea whatsoever how long this turbo cider will take, though I understand, of course, it's a quick brew! How quick?!

If the cider can be drunk as soon as fermentation has finished, will the cider taste better if it's left a while before drinking? If so, how long a wait?

3) Item six in the turbo cider instructions reads as follows: "6. Rack off and drink (or if you like cider fizzy then prime as usual)" .... What the heck do I do to 'prime as usual'?

Is it the same as I've read for beer; add 1/4 (or a 1/2????) a teaspoon of normal (white; granulated) sugar to each bottle I bottle, just before I seal the cap, then shake the bottle to ensure the sugar is dissolved in the cider once the cap is firmly on? If not, what!!?

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

• Originally posted by brewnut
                Hi Pat/Board,

Pat, you're a genius!
                Yes he is

A couple of quick questions about the Turbo cider ....

1) How do I know when fermentation is complete (there are no final SG reading indicators in the recipe + I altered it by adding sugar & yeast nutrient anyway)?
                Try to get it to 1.000 or thereabouts, and yes two or three consecutive days the same .

2) Any idea how long from start to finish this turbo cider takes?

I'm planning a small party, and am trying to work out a date by which at least three of the four brews I've currently got going will be ready by .... And I have no idea whatsoever how long this turbo cider will take, though I understand, of course, it's a quick brew! How quick?!
                Mine took about two weeks, but it was warmer generally when i did it.

If the cider can be drunk as soon as fermentation has finished, will the cider taste better if it's left a while before drinking? If so, how long a wait?
                Yes, but don't know how long is best because it hasn't ever lasted more than a week!

3) Item six in the turbo cider instructions reads as follows: "6. Rack off and drink (or if you like cider fizzy then prime as usual)" .... What the heck do I do to 'prime as usual'?

Is it the same as I've read for beer; add 1/4 (or a 1/2????)
                Yes it's the same as priming for beer, but I would probably go 1 tsp sugar,although some of the gang have had success priming with honey
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thanks Bob, on all counts!

I look set to have my first brew party sometime around the end of next month by the looks of it; all four brews could be drinkable by then!

I need to start a lager fermenting sometime after this coming tuesday and wondered if anyone had any experience or suggestions on some of the kit lagers available from these pages; my local store, which I need to visit sometime next week anyway to get hold of another PET Demijohn!

If you&#8217;re looking for the Art of Brewing website, please note, it&#8217;s moved to this location. Love Brewing has all the Art of Brewing products and more. Enjoy!

If you&#8217;re looking for the Art of Brewing website, please note, it&#8217;s moved to this location. Love Brewing has all the Art of Brewing products and more. Enjoy!

Brewnut

Comment

• I have brewed the coopers Australian lager

It was quite nice

The address/date/time of the party?

is my invite in the post?

do i need a sleeping bag?

are you naming these pet demijohns?
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by P cuthbert
                      Brewnut;

1) hold the thermometer by the top, and swing it downward quickly with a snap at the end of the swing. This should bring the liquid back together.

Pat
                      Remember the old days when everyone's mom would have to shake the thermometer before taking your temp? Something that today's child will probably never see. And, it worked without batteries!
                      (Sorry, as soon as I saw the question the mental image just popped in and I had to share it!)
                      Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
                      Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

• Turbo Cider - Campden tablet it??

Hi People,

So the turbo cider tested at 0.995 for SG late last night and tasted so nice (and quite dry) out of sample tube I couldn't resist it and ended up drinking a couple of pints! Woke up on the sofa five hours later, so .... that added cup of sugar seems to have definately turned into alcohol: 7.2 ABV!

I haven't checked in on the prohibition vodka for too long ... and must do so today ... I think that has fermented out really quickly, just like the beer, turbo cider and plum wine.

A couple of questions though about the turbo cider now it's fermented out. Essentially:

1) how long will it last 'fresh' if I just chuck some into a few spare 2 litre plastic bottles and put them in the fridge to cool the nectar down to a perfect drinking temperature?

2) If I want to keep some longer than that, how do I preserve it? ....

I read the Turbo cider thread when under the influence of the same last night and didn't take a note of what else apart from a crushed campden tablet one uses to achieve the objective ... I can just remember I didn't think I had any so need to go buy tomorrow/ASAP. So the question is, what do I need to buy & how to use it .... assuming I have the crushed campden tablet bit right.

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

• Hello

Just been reading some good stuff on here and I feel comforted that there as some knowledgeable people here to help when I start making mistakes. I'm completely new to this wine / cider making lark, but I think I'm going to enjoy it. I think I'm going to gen up on some of the phrases on here, as I'm bamboozled by some.

Haven't made anything yet, but I'm starting some turbo cider in the next few days and them I'm going to have a go at some 'country' wines.

Rusco

Comment

• Welcome Rusco

Welcome to the forum Rusco! I've only been a member of this board for a couple of weeks but everyone's lovely!

Just to say starting out with a turbo cider or two is a great idea. It was the last of three brews I put on, but was the first to be drunk ... I'm still waiting patiently to have my first taste of a bitter I put on a couple of weeks ago (it's aging/carbonating in a pressure barrel at the moment), yet have almost finished fermenting my second turbo cider!

FYI I add a cup full of white sugar and a teaspoon on yeast nutrient to my turbo ciders and it results in an Alcohol By Volume (ABV) of around 7.2%.

Brewnut

Comment

• Originally posted by brewnut
                              Welcome to the forum Rusco! I've only been a member of this board for a couple of weeks but everyone's lovely!

Just to say starting out with a turbo cider or two is a great idea. It was the last of three brews I put on, but was the first to be drunk ... I'm still waiting patiently to have my first taste of a bitter I put on a couple of weeks ago (it's aging/carbonating in a pressure barrel at the moment), yet have almost finished fermenting my second turbo cider!

FYI I add a cup full of white sugar and a teaspoon on yeast nutrient to my turbo ciders and it results in an Alcohol By Volume (ABV) of around 7.2%.

Brewnut
                              Thanks Brewnut

I'll give the sugar a nutrient a go, probably in the second batch as I guess I should start with the receipe I've been given first. Although I'm liking the increase in alcohol

Comment

• Hello Kieron

I'm not too far from you either !

Rusco

Comment

Working...
                                X