• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome aboard Alan

enjoy!

cheers
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello from Nottingham

Hi I'm Annie and I live in a leafy little suburb called Mapperley in Nottingham.

I first started making wine kits about 12 years ago but gave up when my local brew shop went out of business.

I'm a very keen gardener and have aquired a couple of blueberry plants to grow and I thought that they would be nice as a wine so I hit the search engines - that was the begining of March !!!

So far I can lay claim to:

2 commercial reds just bottled
      1 commercial white just bottled - these at a stop gap while the rest mature!
      Apple, Banana and Grapefruit at various stages of clearing
      Orange down to one bubble a minute
      2 Rhubarb and Pear at secondary fermentation

I also enjoy reading, house renovation and sitting in the garden doing nothing on a Sunady afternoon, everything else is subject to negotiation depending on what mood I'm in when I wake up.

Cheers
      Annie

Comment

• Glad to see you found us, Annie! Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time spent here!
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Really nice to meet you Annie. We share a lot of hobbies and interests - especially the Sunday afternoon bit!
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Welcome aboard Annie

hope you enjoy your time here

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hello again folks

I'm not new to the forum but I've had to reregister due to a rash of computer problems caused by power surges. I'm from the lower 48 (so. La.). I've been making homemade wines for 12 yrs. and have never made a kit wine. My favorites are: muscadine (wouldn't you just know it), blackberry and strawberry.

5gals of strawberry and 3gals of tomato are currently bulk aging.

"My" most unusual wine is jamaica (hibiscus flower)

Comment

• I was curious When you Grow Muscudine
                do you Prefere to prune it even if it's wild.

I wonder because you add water since it's acidic,
                but seems Since you have to add water pruning for more flavor would you just add less water.

Have you ever tried vitis riparia these tiny pea sized grapes.

I never made a Kit wine either.

My strangest wine was because no one ate the left over,and hole pumpkin pie I ended up dumping it though, it was in the primary to Long, :munching_ because I didn't pay Much attention to it.
                http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

• Welcome back muscadine

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlsherman55
                    I was curious When you Grow Muscudine
                    do you Prefere to prune it even if it's wild.

I wonder because you add water since it's acidic,
                    but seems Since you have to add water pruning for more flavor would you just add less water.

Have you ever tried vitis riparia these tiny pea sized grapes.

I never made a Kit wine either.

My strangest wine was because no one ate the left over,and hole pumpkin pie I ended up dumping it though, it was in the primary to Long, :munching_ because I didn't pay Much attention to it.
                    I prune all the vines to promote fruit quality for the following year and to have some control of the vines. The wild varieties are likely more acidic but all of mine are cultivated.
                    No, I've never tried that fruit.

Comment

• I just asked becuae that wild grape grows All over the country.

It's name means river Bank grape
                      So I suppose that Freach American Hybrid is found along rivers. at least around here it is.
                      I think it is ripara I vinifyed from how The seeds looked. --- Its tart.
                      Last edited by jlsherman55; 10-06-2006, 02:50 PM.
                      http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

• Muscadine wine

There are two wineries in the Carolinas producing commercial Muscadine wines, one North, one South. The South Carolina wine I've tried, he is in the Charleston area and he produces a red dry, red sweet, white dry, white sweet, and a rose'. It is definitely a different taste from the more traditional wines. I want to do a Muscadine later this year and it gives me at least a benchmark of what should be my results.

Comment

• For the best results, freeze the muscadines before using them. Freezing breaks down the cell walls in the hulls (that's where the real flavor is) and releases more of the fruity taste + it makes them easier to crush.

Comment

• Hi again, Muscadine. I'm interested in your tomato wine as I've been told they weren't suitable. I always have a glut and would love to make wine from them - there is only so much chutney 2 people can eat!
                            Let's party

Comment

• I'll let you know how it turns out. Surprising though, after settling the wine is NOT red as you'd expect but an off white with a green haze. Go figure.

Comment

• I made a rhubarb wine that went like that. Pink on the top and green on the bottom. Very bright, very pretty, very odd.
                                Let's party

Comment

Working...
                                X