Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from rural Mississippi

My name is Otto, I'm retired, and live in very rural Mississippi.

I have been making home brew and wine since I was 13. I had a dear old Great Aunt that taught my cousin and I how to make homebrew. She either forgot, or didn't know the basics......well over half of the bottles exploded!

Upon completion of my retirement home last year, I finally am going to start making decent(?) wine again. I started out with some kits for a basic refresher course and am now ready to tackle fruit wines also. My first endevor will be Red Raspberry, which are not native to Mississippi. (I found a supplier in New York, of all places!)

I look forward to to sharing receipes and knowledge...... after I have absorbed a little.

Comment

• Hi Otto! Rural Arkansas here. I feel your pain!

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any muscadine or scuppernong vines, or access to any?
      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Welcome Otto

hope you enjoy your time here with us

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Thanks to All!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to many years and many, many gallons of wine!

Hippie:
          There are muscadine grape vines everywhere around here. Unfortunately, I think Katrina did a number on many of the vines. There doesn't seem to be the abundance of grapes that I would expect. The lack of rain in the last few months also might be a contributing factor. I'm sure things will pick up next year.

Comment

• New from Edmonton

Hello All. I'm new to the forum. Have had a winemaking shop for 19 years, so I can maybe help some people out.

Cheers,

Wineman

Comment

• Welcome, wineman. . Looking forward to you imparting your wine info.

JC

Comment

• Hello and welcome
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Welcome aboard Wineman

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi, I started wine making in the late sixties in the days when every other shop supplied wine making materials, I dread to think how many gallons I have made but most of my wines have been successful, like most I have the occasional flop but we all learn from our mistakes, I think that’s part of the joy of wine making. My favorites are still parsnip, elderflower and every now and then I make a good batch of blackberry, I always use the same method for blackberry but rarely get the same result, I think it’s down to each years crop, weather conditions etc.

Still learning
                    Kind regards

Comment

• Welcome aboard

hope yopu enjoy your stay

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hello

Hello , just found this site and really loved it. I have just started home brewing. So far have made 40 pts bitter, 6 bottles chardonnay and 6 cabernet sauvignon kits, some turbo cider. I am now trying to make a cherry wine (bought 6lb cherries from Morrisons for 9p a pound )
                        Not really sure what I am doing, but having fun trying!

I'd like to be able to make all my wine without kits, but may change my mind if I keep brewing bad stuff. Found a recipe for lettuce wine. Dont know whether to try it or not. It would be something to do with my glut of lettuce in the garden, but it sounds dreadful!

Hope I dont drive you all mad with daft questions

cj

Comment

• Hi, cj, very nice to meet you. Don't worry about 'daft' questions - they never are as daft as you think
                          Don't know about lettuce wine though
                          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Welcome, caroline!

I hope you enjoy this forum.
                            REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• welcome welcome welcome

I hope enjoy your time here
                              regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Been away a long time

Hi,
                                Used to be really big into competitions but work and divorce got in the way.
                                Happy to help anyone if possible on either wine or beer.
                                Still a dual qualified member of NAWBJ.
                                TC

Comment

Working...
                                X