• Show
Clear All

• Hello and welcome humberto

hope you enjoy yor time here

lots of friendly knowledgeable people here
    regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• welcome

Humberto! I was stationed at the submmarine base at New London for a few years, and now that I'm down south the thought of shovelling snow leaves me frosty!!!

Paul

Comment

• Hi Humberto, welcome to the forum!
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Welcome also to new members south_harmon and jack keller

welcome aboard.

Mr Keller it is an honour to have you here.

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I've heard great things about a Mr Jack Keller, welcome and i'm looking forward to any advice you can bring our way.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

• Hello from a Newbie!!!

Just wanted to say hey to everybody... I just stumbled across this site and it looked very interesting.. i have been making wine at home for about 6 years now and im just looking to gather information on different varieties and possibly try something new...

Comment

• welcome earhold enjoy yourself look around and ask some questions
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Welcome to the forum from South West Wales!

I just started making wine and my only attempts to date are from kits but this weekend I hope to start an apple wine (unless anyone has a better suggestion for 6lbs of 'bramley' type apples).

Everyone here is very helpful and I have learned a lot from them and now I really look forward to making a 'proper' wine.

Cheers,
                  Shirley
                  www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• so whats your location earhold
                    mark
                    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Welcome, earhold! Where you at?
                      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Nervous novice

Hello all, we moved into this house almost 3 years ago and discovered we had a vine, up until now, all we've ever had was tiny slightly sour green marbles, but this year, suddenly there appeared big black tasty grapes!! so, a dilemma, eat or drink? no contest, so armed with a list picked from the internet i purchase some equipment, spent a couple of hours picking, sorting, picking, cleaning, picking etc. are now the proud owner of one gallon of white and one gallon of red (er what do you call it) must. So any help or tips would be most welcome.

Comment

• Hello and welcome to the forum...

Don't be nervous we are a friendly bunch.

A little more information on how you processed them and any measurements you have taken (for example Acid levels, specific gravity etc etc) would be helpful.....
                          but don't worry if you havent taken or have the means to take these readings, we can work with what we have.

so 1 gallon of red and one of white..well done...now the fun begins.

How did you process (squish) the grapes?

What sort of container are you using for Primary ferment? (normally a bucket with loose fitting lid or towel over the top)

What sort of container for Secondary ferment? (normally a glass jar with an airlock on the top)

You normally need oxygen for the first part (primary)
                          and no oxygen for the second part (secondatry)

(apologies if you knew this allready)

do you have the grape skins still in with the red?

have you taken the skins out of the white?

there are some free downloads in the links section that may be of use to you

see here

and feel free to ask as many questions as you like..

also use the search function on the nav bar at the top...that can sometimes get you a quicker answer to your query.

Dont let all the terminology put you off you will learn it quickly enough..

A hydrometer is the first tool to kit yourself up with, this will help you determine (with accuracy) when the ferment is finished, and will help you work out what the alcohol levels are.

welcome to the wonderful world of winemaking

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Forgot to add...

if you need winemaking supplies here is a list of UK suppliers
                            (not all suppliers but all I have found so far)

And some do mail order
                            We offer great value home brew kits together with all the wine making equipment that you need to brew at home!

their MD Paul is a member of this site

Run by Patsy and John..nice people

I have dealt with both companies and can verify they give good service

hope this helps

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• welcome barbarajean

Comment

• hellooooooooo barbarajean wedlcome to the dark side
                                mark
                                Last edited by heeby; 25-09-2006, 05:54 AM.
                                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Working...
                                X