Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt and save the hides

when i lived in co springs i once grew tomatoes in a wire mesh box, completely surrounded top and all. one morning the thing was mangled off to one side and mule deer prints all over. the DOW ain't gonna help.

venison is great with merlot

Comment

• Elderberry and venison backstrap, black currant and venison steaks. Sorry Hippie, dont have a gun, Slick Tricks and Beemans are our thing. Crackedcork
      WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

• What are slick tricks and beemans?
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Just a guess -> scents and air guns?

Comment

• Okie dokie then...do they put meat in the freezer?
            REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

• Hippie, compounds, dont scare the livestock or the neighbors Now back to winemaking Crackedcork

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
              Okie dokie then...do they put meat in the freezer?
              WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

• Hi all newby and a question please.

Hi all ive just recently started making wine again after 30 years or so.(I only made a few gallons then)so ime pretty much a novice .
                I wonder if you can advise me i have about 4 gallons of damson wine in demi jons (with fermentation locks) happily bubbling away every coupkle of secs (they have been for a week now).Ime due to go away on friday(20 oct) for two weeks that will mean it will have been in the demijons for about a month,i dont want to loose it , will it be ok in the demijons till i return ,presumably the fermentation will be completed before i return.Whats your advise.jake.

Comment

• Jake;

Your wine will be fine. Go and enjoy your trip.

Welcome to a very happy friendly place. We look forward to yoru return.

Pat

Comment

• Welcome to the forum, Jake, and welcome back to winemaking. I agree with Pat. Top it up the best you can for now and be sure it is somewhere it don't get too warm or too cool.
                    REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

• Thanks pat and Hippie for your quick reply ,thats a relief regarding leaving in the demi jons.Love this forum lots of useful info.Going to try making some pear wine on my return,is it worth taking them off the trees now and freezing them whole or should i leave them on take the chance that they will drop and be eaten by the slugs snails and the other kritters?

Comment

• jake,

Some weather forecast's for the coming week in the midlands have said potentially there may be a slight frost. Dunno much about fruit and how they react to frost, perhaps something for you to keep in mind, don't want the fruit to go to waste, nor would i want you to panic. The experts here should be able to help further.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

• Freezing the pears will turn them brown so if you can get away without doing it then I wouldn't. It won't hurt your wine I don't think but may not be the best thing.

Comment

• Jake;

You can freeze the pears. Get a spray bottle with some sulphite solution and give them a quick spray before freezing. This should inhibit the browning.

Freezing will also break down the cell structure of the pears and allow the juice to be extracted much more easily at the start of fermentation.

Pat

Comment

• Many thanks for your replies ) .

Comment

• Welcome, stackmonkey. Join right in!
                                REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X