Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Hey everyone,

My name's Steve and no matter where I go there always seem to be a lot of Steves. I currently reside in the state of Minnesota, and have been making wine for about 7 years now from fresh grapes, fruit, and kits. No meads yet... but my wife keeps hinting.

Anyhow, I just hope I can learn a few things and periodically contribute something useful to this little corner of the winemaking universe.

Regards,
    Yet Another Steve
    Steve

Comment

• Nice to meet you.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Hi Steve and welcome
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Great to have you along. Welcome to those Dog labels of yours. Cheers DAW

Comment

• Hi DAW - nice to see you. There seem to be a few familiar members here.
            Steve

Comment

• Red feet says Greet!

I've been making wine since about 1966. In recent years, with more info at my disposal, I've managed to make some pretty good wines. I prefer cabernet sauvignon and merlot, but occasionally make riesling or vidal. I'm just starting to try my hand at aging my wines on the lees, and in the fall will try rack and return for the first time.

Comment

• Hi red feet

Welcome to our humble abode

hope you enjoy your time here

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Greetings, Red Feet, nice to meet you.
                  Let's party

Comment

• My Story

Hi,

My name is Joe and a very active 62 year old guy having 3 childred and 4 grandchildren, the following is my story as how I started my first wine and now hooked for ever.

Here is my story:

I used to live in a fairly big house in Sliema having a large garden in the middle and when my mother died 6 years ago, the house was locked and I never bothered to go there. Two years ago I went there and could not enter the garden as the door leading to the garden was covered with Bouganvilla twines, after cutting away I went in the garden and to my amazement some vines that I planted years before were allover the place and got tangled with all the fruit and citrus trees in the garden and bunches of grapes were all over like Christmas Tree decorations.

Did not bother but after a week I said to myself 'how about using these grapes to make some wine'. At that time the only thing I knew was to crush grapes add sugar and leave it to ferment. So I took all the grapes home, had a fight with my wife for messing the place up, placed grapes in the laundry basket and pressed the wine using my feet (as seen in old pictures) gathered liquid, placed liquid in an old 2 gallon carboy which I had in the garage added 1 kilo suggar covered with nylon mesh and left it fermenting.

I then started gathering information through the forum of Winpress.us and was told to buy a bung and airlock and place the airlock on carboy when a match lighted near the neck of the carboy remain lit.

After some time when I saw that no bubbles were going up the airlock I racked the wine adding (one eight of teaspoon) Metabisulfite (got some from a wine maker) and left the wine in carboy for three months, after I bottled.

To me the first bottle was excellent. My son's wife did not like it but when I gave my son a full bottle I got a message from my grandson that the wine was a BOMB . Alchohol contents ended at 16%++++++++.

In the same time I made another 2 gallons of (SECOND class wine!!!!) using the skins but instead of 1 kilo suggar I used 2 kilos - result a bit bitter with a 27% alchohol not so good in taste but diluted with lemonade will pass.

Hope you all stop laughing but all the above is the truth and on reading this again cannot stop laughing.

Now I am in my 18th fruit wine and managed to ferment a fantastic lot of Merlot in 2005 and a fairly good Trebbiano in 2006. This year I will be fermenting a Merlot/Cab mix./

Best regards and good health to all

Joe

Comment

• Welcome Joe.
                      Lucky you to be living in Malta, how I envy you.
                      I didn't laugh at your story, but admired your enterprise to give it a go.
                      Let's party

Comment

• Hey Welcome Joe.

Originally posted by joeae View Post
                        result a bit bitter with a 27% alchohol

27%
                        Last edited by Axl; 30-04-2007, 03:10 PM. Reason: FORGOT TO SAY WELCOME

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

• Hi Joe
                          Welcome to our humble abode, you will find lots of familiar names among the membership here.

How is the Trebbiano progressing?

Did you add oak in the end?

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hello Everyone

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            Tell us a little about what kinds of beverages you make

also a little about yourself

regards
                            Bob
                            My Name is Kermit, 53 years old, I live in the USA. Crowley, Louisiana, I'm married for 32 years my wife's name is Sue. I'm new to making wine I have my 3rd batch 1 st rack fermenting now Red Hot Strawberry (from consentrate) I have a small, very small backyard vinyard with bunch grapes and muscadine vines gowing at present. Having a lot of fun with my new hobbyand I'm glad to be here.
                            Kermit

Whats cooking
                            Primary is empty at the moment
                            2 ea x 3 gals Red Hot Strawberry (from consentrate)

Comment

• Welcome Kermit

hope you enjoy your stay with us

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi, Kermit
                                Let's party

Comment

Working...
                                X